Callahan to the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gsulli5861, Jan 9, 2008.

1. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

Just because he spent the day with them, doesn't mean he's locked and loaded to sign on. Spin those rumor mills some more, why don't ya!

2. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

One name, Alex Gibbs. Won back to back super bowls with a line that averaged under 300 lbs.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think we are suffering from personnel that fits different schemes on both lines. We were going to a lighter line before Herm left due to the zone-blocking scheme that Dinger was installing, and for some reason we went back to man-blocking. Hell, I think Brick might be a fantastic lineman in a zone scheme, but we'll probably never find that out because I doubt Schott has ever called an offense like that and it changes your offensive gameplan a lot.

I think that while the Pats' receiver woes had a lot to do with their offensive troubles last season, it was also because they were installing the zone scheme throughout the year and their O-linemen were adjusting.

Our continuing troubles year-in and year-out always seem to be lack of consistency with offensive and defensive philosophies, and I think that stifles any consistent approach when targeting players.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Teams? The term should not have been pluralized. Callahan only coached one Raiders team after the Super Bowl appearance.

5. red75bronco

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

First they need to a running back: Ron Dayne, Ahman Green, and Darius Walker aren't going to be in the league's top 5.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I think it's more like he has connections with the head coach.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Oh, ok... I didnt take the time to read the article.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I didn't read it, either.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Then you're just more informed than me sir.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

the '06 OL did not suck, it was not great but it didn't suck. Leon ran it well, Barlow did not and they pass protected pretty well plus we had 2 rookies on the OL. Wise did a very good job w/ that unit in '06. The were awful this past year but i blame that more on lack of talent.

I get it, he gets no credit or mangold, all the blame for Brick and all the blame for the no-talents we had rotating in a the guard spot.

You guys listen to dolphin fans too much, let's not forget ricky Williams had his ONLy big time season when Wise was the OL coach in Miami but Wise doesn't get any credit for that, right? just blame for when Ricky's problems ruined the dolphins?

13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

4 of 5 guys were the SAME! How can there be a lack of talent this year when 80% of the so-called successful line from 06 were retained and started all year?

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Maybe not lack of talent, but Line Chemistry is very important. Clarke ruined everything this year, and Pete Kendall should have been retained for one more year. Hindsight 20/20

The line needs not only more talent, but time to gel. Its the weakest link on the team right now. Forget D-Line, protecting Clemens and establishing a strong running game are two things that need to be taken care of.

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He would be a great QB coach for Clemens. He served that role for us under Weis in 98 when Vinny had a great year. Even if he doesn't want to come up they should send Clemens to him for the off season.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

GMTA my man! :beer:

17. red75bronco

Why, orlandis gary, mike anderson, mike bell, tatum bell, ruben droughns all of those come to mind. They weren't great but Denver was a great running team.

18. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

From Cimini's blog:

January 10, 2008
    Callahan to Jets becomes more of a possibility
    The chances of a Jets-Bill Callahan marriage improved today with reports that Bucs offensive line coach Bill Muir has agreed to a contract extension that will keep him in Tampa.

What does that have to do with the Jets?

Callahan, who interviewed yesterday with Eric Mangini, would’ve been the logical replacement for Muir, who was flirting with Dolphins VP Bill Parcells. Callahan and Bucs coach Jon Gruden worked together in Oakland. But since Muir is staying, it helps the Jets’ chances of landing Callahan. They could get some competition from the Rams, who also are looking for a line coach. But my peeps tell me that Bucs RB coach Art Valero is the favorite for that job.

Mangini has no known ties to Callahan, the former Nebraska head coach, but Callahan is a widely respected line coach. He was the Raiders’ line coach/coordinator before taking over the head-coaching duties in 2002 and leading them to the Super Bowl.

Mangini appears to be looking for a fresh approach to the running game, which has struggled since 2004. Callahan could land a title such as “offensive line/running-game coordinator.”

19. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

The only Bucs assistant coach who hasn't signed a tender yet is Monte Kiffin...methinks good things are in store as far as Jets assistant coaches are concerned.

20. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Monte MAY be heading to atlanta to work with buddies rich McKay, and possible future coach, Pete Carroll.........