Build it like the Bengals

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 15, 2022.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Ouch.

KingRoach and Lon Chaney like this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The Bengals are all of a sudden the model to build by?

They have been to the playoffs before, they simply had not won, 0-7.

The Jets can still grab an offensive lineman and a WR in the draft but the team I’m looking to model is not the Bengals, it’s the Ravens or the Steelers!

The bottom line is simple, teams need a legit QB, excellent skilled position players, a strong oline and a really good defense.

The Jets are working towards that blueprint, I bet you JD will grab another offensive lineman, a WR and LB or edge.

#42 Red Menace, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'll see your Ravens/Steelers and raise you one Titans. Beat you long or beat you in the trenches. Don't need a hero QB, just one that knows how to play within the scheme. Couple that with a powerful running attack and clock management and you have your recipe for success.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You have to either have a topflight talent evaluation department or get lucky as hell to get a top prospect out of the 1st round.

The Jets talent evaluation has been suspect since Mangini left town and they have no luck at all.

5. Br4d

I'm not saying your wrong but Douglas can't afford to do any more of a Matt Millen impression than he already is.

Matt Millen drafted good to great WR's on the top pick several times trying to save Joey Harrington. His successor drafted Calvin Johnson for Matthew Stafford and it didn't matter in the standings.

The Jets need to find somebody to build a team because right now and for most of the last decade all they've had is a roster and rosters do not win in the NFL, teams win.

NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That’s a bad example because the late Charles Rogers had 440 career receiving yards, Mike
    Williams had 1500 yards for his career and was out of the NFL at the end of a standard rookie contract and Roy Williams, the best of the bunch, had one thousand yard season.

They were top draft picks but they didn’t have good NFL careers by any stretch.

KingRoach likes this.
  7. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Build it to beat the Bills.

Zack Wilson has to eat like Mecki and stretch the legs.

Get some good FAs JD and stop fucking around with the fans.

Playoffs or BUST!

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Really want Burks or Wilson with one of our firsts.

9. Br4d

They're representative of what you often get out of a top pick WR.

They're just as likely to be the guy you get as Jamarr or Julio Jones.

Even when you get Calvin Johnson it's no guarantee that you wind up with wins in the process.

The point is that when the problem is the QB no amount of WR's will fix it. Build the team and the wins will come. Focus on one aspect at the expense of all the others and you'll be the Lions of the 00's.

The Jets should have used one of those 3rds they traded last year on a WR and another on a TE or OL. Really they could have used them anywhere as long as the value was good.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Has anyone actually suggested that we do this? We have $60 million in cap space and five picks in the first three rounds. I’m almost positive no one wants to spent all the money and picks on one side of the ball, let alone on one position.

REVISion and Lon Chaney like this.
  11. Br4d

Douglas history so far is to focus heavily on the offense early on. He makes need picks (Becton, Mims, Zach, AVT, Moore, Carter) at the expense of the most talent and value they could get out of the pick. The trade up for AVT last year was ludicrous from the standpoint of the Jets having one of the thinnest least talented talent bases in the NFL.

So whatever anybody suggests the reality is that the Jets are currently drafting out of a position of need instead of drafting for the most possible talent. NFL history in general and the Jets history in particular tells us that this is a losing plan and boy are we losing while executing it.

6-27 and no real prospects of better in the near future based on our drafts.

ouchy likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Titans are also a great example, my concern is that they don’t have the QB to get them to the SB.

They remind me of the 2009-2010 Jets, they had everything but the QB.

Honestly Cman, my concern is the CS, I believe JD will have another good draft but Saleh, Ulbrich and Lafleur are not the guys to get this team on right track.

Watching the Bills last night, Allen only threw for 25 attempts, Dabol did a great job of not getting pass happy and just kept grinding away with the oline, and minimized Patriots opportunities.

Dabol managed that offense perfectly last night.

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

First round offensive lineman by playoff team.

So the numbers aren’t skewed, the Cowboys also have La’el Collins who was a first round player before the pre-draft issues with his baby mama, and the 49ers have McGlinchey on IR (first rounder)

Titans - 1 (drafted)
    Chiefs - 0
    Bills - 0
    Bengals - 1 (drafted)
    Patriots - 1 (drafted)
    Raiders - 2 (drafted)
    Steelers - 0

Packers - 0
    Buccaneers - 1 (drafted)
    Cowboys - 2 (drafted)
    Rams - 0
    Cardinals - 2 (both free agent signings)
    49ers - 2 (both free agent signings)
    Eagles - 1 (drafted)

It looks like the sweet spot for a lot of these teams in terms of offensive lineman is the 2nd-4th round. I want to continue to invest in the offensive line through both FA and the draft, but I don’t want to see us continue to spend top 15 picks on them.

#53 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 16, 2022
    IIMeanDeanII, REVISion and KingRoach like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I think LaFleur has a system that works, but needs more playmakers. Moore and Carter fit the scheme, but we need a TE and another WR to make the unit more complete. I cannot say the same about Ulbrich.

15. Red Menace

I believe the scheme works, his brother uses it in Green Bay. It’s the OC himself and whether he could be as disciplined as Dabol was last night, after being handed a big lead.

They had 5 straight drives of ten plays with an emphasis on the run and clock management but didn’t go into a shell.

In my opinion this CS is the Achilles Heel of the team.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We need to have a big lead in a game to see what he does.

I'm more skeptical about Saleh and Ulbrich. That article you posted about the SF defense is troubling. I guess Saleh can be a CEO type HC and let his coordinators call plays.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. Red Menace

I believe JD will grab an Edge rusher, WR and OL with the first three picks. Don’t know what order but that’s what I believe he will do.

Ulbrich is Kacy Rodgers 2.0!

18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Seems like apples vs Apple pie

Bengals are a blueprint on how to turn around a franchise while the Ravens and Steelers are a blueprint on how to maintain a franchise.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Okay fine. Explain to me then how we got to this point talent-wise after doing BPA and picking defensive lineman at the top of the draft for a dozen seasons in a row.

20. Br4d

Lousy talent evaluation.

Most of the time the DL we took was not BPA but we had people in house who valued DL over other positions.

So bad talent evaluation has us taking a DL not really worth the pick and then when we realize that we repeat the process a couple of years later. It's a self-fulfilling cycle of failure that also deprived the Jets of talent at other positions while failing to actually get us great DL with the picks used.

We also have had a tendency to ignore ego in the process of talent evaluation. We take a lot of players who charitably speaking see themselves at the center of the universe and think the team should revolve around them.

It's not an accident that we wound up with Darrelle Revis, Muhammad Wilkerson and Jamal Adams as first round picks.

A lot of talent there but a lot of "me-me-me" also. I include Wilkerson because he never met a meeting he wasn't happy being late too.

#60 Br4d, Jan 16, 2022
    NYJetsO12 likes this.