Build it like the Bengals

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 15, 2022.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets just need Zach Wilson to play similar to Joe Burrow. If he does, the wins will come. Easier said than done, of course, but no matter what Joe Douglas does, the #1 thing to help the Jets win will be Wilson taking the next step.

nycarl and KingRoach like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It had everything to do with wide receiver. You equate spending a draft pick on a wide receiver to that draft pick being successful. The Bengals have succeeded on the three draft picks they’ve spent on receivers. At the moment we’re currently 0.5/2. And I say that in believing Moore can be a good asset to the core.

But Mims is not and you post as if the fact that we spent a pick on him means we shouldn’t continue to invest in the position for some odd reasons reason.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Which of those 6 picks is a star already, who hands down is the reason the Bengals offense flows the way it does?

We have two picks in each of the first two rounds. I’d absolutely use one or two on the OL but I’d prioritize weapons first.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There's one WR I am confident will have a Jefferon/Chase type impact in year 1.

Rockinz likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The numbers go down if you include third round picks for the Bengals. And only one of those picks is currently starting. Jackson Carman has played the majority of the snaps in 4 games by way of injury. Whereas they have two second round picks and a first round pick starting at receiver as well as a second round pick starting at running back.

Since 2018, the Bills have spent 2/11 of their first three round picks on offensive lineman. Only one of those two picks is starting tonight. So I’m not sure what your dumbass is talking about.

#25 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  6. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Wilson is no Burrow. He doesn’t have the touch that Burrow shows in his passes.

SOJAZ and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Personally, I’d prioritize weapons in FA and go D in the draft.

I was taking issue with the anti build Thru the trench philosophy however We’ve made enough premium investments and I have 0 interest in Leal (I do love Kinnard in the 2nd through)

Re Chase: He was the best receiver in college as a freshman… by far the best. It was a great pick but not surprising or a stretch or a diamond in the rough thing

Imagine if Stingley didn’t become mediocre and injured his next 2 years, we’d through a parade after the pick.

8. KingRoach

I’m saying the idea that the Bengals didn’t spend premium picks on the OL isn’t based in fact. 33% is significant.

If we go back 4 drafts we get 3 picks. That’s a significant amount of capital spent with the philosophy of building up the line.

I don’t care if they’re good with evaluating talent, I’m commenting on where they spent their capital…. Which is a surprising amount of 3rd round LBs.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. KingRoach

Wilson had a better day running against the Jags than Johnathan Taylor RIP Colts

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What? The Bengals got roasted for passing on Sewell.

Rockinz and Mogriffjr like this.
  11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

yeah I believe their OL still struggles in pass pro though.

Just like JV said, anyway to get Wilson weapons, do it.

12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

You'd like to think that there may be some hay to be made for a "tank" plowing forward behind Becton and AVT next year. Throw a few TE's onto the order and send me the bill. Sold.

Cman68 likes this.
  13. KingRoach

Not by anyone I listened to. I guess you can always find someone to bitch about something.

I think they were in a win-win but at the end of the day, the generational WR had a pre-existing chemistry with the FQB and their OL issues were more on the interior which was addressed in the second.

I love what the Bengals have done and was talking them up pre season, I just recognize they drafted 60% of their OL in early rounds over the last 4 years.

For the Jets in 2022:
    FreeAgency4O
    DraftD

14. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Too bad Zach's favorite receiver in college was practice squad material at best.

15. KingRoach

I don’t know on another time that’s happened but then last year Chase, Waddle, and Smith all go back to their college QBs…. TL got his favorite target too!

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ja'mar Chase transformed Joe Burrows and the Bungles into the PO game winning Bengles.

Stefon Diggs transforms the Bills and Josh Allen into a 47-17 rout of the Pats (sooooo sweet)

Prior to Chase and Diggs, I would push for oline first. Infact I was 4 for 4 in the last draft and expecting the Bengles to protect Burrows over drafting a WR to g0 5-5. I was wrong. They were right.

I don't know if there's a la'mar Chase or Stefon Diggs in this draft, but if there is, PLEASE draft him.

PLEASE!!!!

Brook!, NYJetsO12 and Rockinz like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Draft a fancy receiver so he can run useless routes all day and watch his QB get sacked. Maybe the occasional pass he has to stretch out for or dig out of the dirt.

We dont have a QB who can consistently get balls completed to anyone. I'd stock up on defense & try to win 17-13 games for awhile until you decide to bring in a new arm

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Ouch...

19. KingRoach

Chase is generational so he’s not in the draft but our Diggs is sitting in Atlanta waiting for us.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

You make an excellent argument. Bill Parcells once described the draft picking as a crapshoot. Unfortunately for the Jets, they have rolled craps many times.

But since this is all about the Jets let us examine some things.

The Jets gave up 504 points this year, the worst in the NFL. Sorry if I sound like Captain Obvious here, but would that not suggest their defense needs some serious attention.

The Jets scored 310 points this year, fifth worse in the NFL. Ok, a strong argument also for the offense needing improvement.

When it comes to positions of need, there are many positions. Thus going for the best player on the board actually makes the most sense since there are so many needs.

I think the mold the Jets will be pursuing is more of the 49ers. I am not suggesting this is right, but this is what I expect from the Jets management.

KingRoach and NYJFan10 like this.