Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Worst case scenario is that the Jets take Wilson (90%?) and Sam starts and plays poorly, then Wilson steps in and struggles badly.

Anything else is totally workable.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Disagree. Worst case is if Jets don't get out of the early part of the first round with a quarterback at all.

3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

THIS

No one wants to plug in Sam as a starter to be "the guy"
    they wanna have him to see if he can be salvaged into being a middling QB instead of one of the bottom feeders.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

It looks like the idea that the Jets would move forward with Sam Darnold is over. Zach Wilson is the next QB of the NYJ.

I have been a fan since the 80s and I can absolutely say for certain that Sam Darnold was the most hyped Jets draft pick in that time-frame. When the Jets drafted him I envisioned a 15 year starter and franchise QB. A player that the Giants would live to regret for passing on.

Unfortunately it didn’t workout the way we all hoped. When Darnold was drafted he vowed to win a lot of games and score a lot of points. During his three years as QB the Jets went 13-35 and had a bottom 3 offense each and every season.

Why did it fail?

Ultimately Darnold was a very young player who needed a lot more development than many realized. The Jets handling of Darnold will serve as a case study of what not to do when you select a young QB high in the draft. From starting his career under the tutelage of a lame duck coach and GM, to the lack of support around, to the Gase debacle, the Jets did this kid no favors. I also feel that as a prospect Sam had some red flags that the public didn’t realize. The media billed him at one point as a “can’t miss” prospect, but keep in mind both the Giants and Browns evaluated him and passed.

How will he be remembered?

Unfortunately much like Sanchez and Geno Smith Sam Darnolds Jet career will be remembered for one forgettable moment his career.

Sanchez-ButtFumble
    Geno-Punched in the face
    Darnold-Seeing ghosts

I will say one thing positive about Sam. He was the only reason to watch the Jets from 2018-2020. At the very least he provided a neutered fanbase with some semblance of hope that they finally found that elusive franchise QB. That is a testament to just how bad the team was during his time.

5. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Your post is completely depressing and true.

Cman68, REVISion, PJ4Ever and 2 others like this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Sam had all the opportunities in New York, didn't he?

1. First and most importantly; He played behind a swiss cheese OL built by draft expert Mike Maccagnan who drafted a grand TOTAL of THREE offensive lineman in 5 drafts--two in round 5 and 1 in late round 3. It always helps a young quarterback when his idiot of a GM has never heard of the offensive line, which position, by the way, requires the most players per snap.

2. He was blessed with excellent young fresh running backs like Frank Gore who is already on social security and head case Lev Bell, probably the only player dumb enough to let two prostitutes steal over $500,000 of jewelry from his room

3. He had a plethora of exciting receivers like Chris Hogan, Jeff Smith, DeMarrius Thomas, Vyncent Smith, and Braxton Berrios to throw too, household names all

4. He had versatile cast of great TEs to throw to like perennial underachiever Chris Herndon, retread Daniel Brown, and a has been who never was Trevon Westco

5. Lastly he had excellent coaching like Adam Gase, probably the NFL's worst coach in 2019-2020 and also Todd Bowles (who is 1-5 in his career against Adam Gase) and who once publicly stated there is nothing wrong with players missing team meetings.

And despite all of that, Sam had the class to say after 3 years that he wanted to be a jet forever. Contrast that with crybaby Jamaal Adams.

7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I saw a clip of Wilson throwing a pass in the workout that some experts here and there said was the greatest throw they have seen. ESPN had a video of Sam throwing the same pass for a touchdown in a game against San Francisco. Don't be fooled by the hype.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Who doesn't love Mark Sanchez? Yeah he didn't work out but I certainly remember him for some fun years more than the butt fumble.

Not to mention that play is so completely misinterpreted as Sanchez running into Brandon Moore's ass when in fact Moore was fucking catapulted into Sanchez by the hog known as Vince Wilfork.

[​IMG]

As far as Darnold is concerned, it appears to be a much bigger scouting oversight than to blame the player. I'll never forget the video of Bowles making the call and some poster here I believe making the comment of "Bowles has a shit eating grin on his face because this guy's gonna save his job."

9. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

That pass the Zach threw at his pro day is the same pass Darnold threw. The only thing the Jets are known for is they kill QBs I fear Zach will be no different labeled a bust in 3 years and shipped out of NY Zach wasn't even a top 10 prospect until the end of this season before that he was considered a mid round pick Darnold was always considered a top 10 prospect if anything the Jets ruined him and a team that has a good coaching system will probably fix him like what happen in Tennessee with Tanahill the only thing I can say is your right Sam will be gone but I'm not sold on Wilson the guy hasn't played real competition almost wasn't the starter this year really think after Lawrence none these QBs are a sure thing but I hope I'm wrong.

JETS1116 and tomdeb like this.
  10. hornblower

Remember JD and the new coach are smarter than most fans and all of the print media. They will do the right thing.

themorey and Jets79 like this.
  11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Mark will always be my guy. I’ll take playoff wins over fantasy football cred every day all day.

Burnz, Brook!, abyzmul and 1 other person like this.
  12. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

I heard the same thing about Mac when he took Jamal Adams like I said hope I'm wrong just think Zach Wilson is overhyped wasn't a top 10 prospect until this year weak competition because of covid almost lost the starting job and struggle and had injuries not a good history after Lawrence most these QBs have red flags.

Leicester Jet and tomdeb like this.
  13. hornblower

Most Jet fans loved Adams. JD did not. One thing in his favor.

14. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I was not on this board when we selected Adams but I could not believe we would draft a safety 6th overall when the offense was shitty and the team was lacking talent everywhere. And then another safety with our 2nd round pick in the same draft... I am still angry about it... but the worse of the worse was trading our first for Doug Jolley instead of drafting the BPA in Aaron Rodgers.

I know he was one of the rare true talent on the team but I still don't think it was the right pick. Just like I don't think selecting Pitts top 10 is smart as talented as he is.

Jets79, tomdeb, themorey and 3 others like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're blind. It was not even remotely the same pass. Sam's pass traveled about 30 yards, and the receiver was on the same side of the field as he and was practically straight in front of Sam when Sam threw it. With Wilson's throw, he was on the left hash mark and his receiver was at the right hash mark when he caught and the ball traveled about 57 yards in the air. Yeah, real similar. Some of you posters need to invest in a pair of glasses.

#1255 NCJetsfan, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    Borat, Mogriffjr and matt robinson 17 like this.
  16. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

it was a pro day lol

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It's both amazing and amusing that you can decry the hype that you bought into in 2018 for Darnold but do the exact same thing by declaring Wilson the Jets next quarterback a month before the draft this year. Not a possible, not a probable, not a sure thing but a done deal. What was that about not remembering the past?

tomdeb likes this.
  18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

We keep thinking the coaching staff must be smarter than us... and yet look where we are.

JETS1116, REVISion, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

totally agree

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? The Jets are going to pick the Zach Wilson. If they pick Zach Wilson he’s going to be the next QB of the Jets. When they picked Sam Darnold he was the next QB.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.