Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I do agree that unless they get a really good offer for Darnold that they should keep him as the "bridge" for (hopefully) Wilson. By "good offer", I mean at least a 2nd rounder, or something like was proposed from SF: we send Sam and the #23 to SF and get back the #12 and Jimmy G. I don't really want Garoppolo but he'd be serviceable as a bridge QB at least, but getting the #12 opens up a number of great options.

tomdeb likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The offence was much better suited to Flacco's skillset than Darnold's. This in fact was one of the major reasons why Gase sucked - he refused to adapt his "system" to Darnold's strengths. Moreover, Flacco has played how many seasons? A Qb with that much experience should of course be better able to adapt than a 3 year QB on his 2nd system.

Again, Darnold bears his share of blame, but you cannot possibly accurately assess him based on his what happened in his 3 years here.

ZachMFWilson and tomdeb like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

4. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

The Jets still have the least talent in the AFC east, the Bills are in the top 6 teams in the NFL. The fins do not have a ton of talent but Flores might turn out to be a better short term coach than Belly. plus they have a ton of top 50 draft picks, AND A gm that seems to work very well with his coach. Belly is going all in for the next two yrs. The Jets should think long-term. Get your QB and build around him. The Bills will have cap issues in a couple of yrs. The fins could fall flat on their face if Tua fails. In two yrs the pats are in cap hell.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I read an interesting comment wherein JD was stated to be a big fan of Wilson while the coaching staff is more in favor of keeping Sam. Who knows for real?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Bellys Lies

Whose fault is this, JD has been here for what 2 yrs. Where have Sams weapons been? Where has Sams protection been? JD does not believe in Sam. When he did not sign Robby for a bargain contract of 10 million., it was clear Sam was gone.It is crazy that so many people love JD . I would prefer Leonard Williams, Avery, Robbie Anderson over the guys we just sthj==igned to replace them for the same money, plus we would have started to build something from our core when JD took the job. If Sam had Robbie last yr we would know much more about who the qb he was. When you can not gauge the numbers a wrat

7. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

You make some good points here, letting robby go was a major mistake. He was so good for sam

PJ4Ever likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yup, we do. So maybe it'd be good to draft a QB and draft high again next year for players.

9. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I think a 3rd year guy who was the 3rd overall pick should be better than an old backup who was viewed as washed coming into the year.

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This might be a reason for NOT keeping Sam on the roster if JD drafts a rookie QB. JD's gonna want as high of draft picks as possible next year, and if keeping Sam adds a few wins to our 2021 totals, that's not good for 2022 draft!

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sam hurt Robby more than Robby helped Sam.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Every one of those teams who employed the trade down strategy has/had a future pro bowl QB starting for them.

The Patriots just dumped Thuney in favor of 2 TEs.

The importance of the TE position especially in our new offensive scheme makes trading up for one good value. This player is projected to be a top talent making it worth the risk.

Trading back into the top 10 is now off the table since Miami blew that up. They're doing what I would have done in their position. It puts them in a great position to grab Pitts, Chase, Waddle, or Smith plus get additional top picks.

We will take Wilson and maybe move up from 23 depending on who falls out of the top 15. I would love to get #13 from the Chargers but Arizona at 16 might be better since they need picks & the cost will be cheaper.

ouchy and Bellys Lies like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The Pats did not dump Thuney, the price got ridiculously steep with help from the Jets. Don’t blame them but he will be missed

14. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

Build around Sam, my ass! Zack Wilson, baby. Sam can go see ghosts for another team.

Bellys Lies and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Bellys Lies

Zack is our new QB

16. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Might as well end this thread and start where is Sam going? Zach Wilson is going to be a Jet the fact that they are still sitting at #2 is proof enough.

REVISion likes this.
  17. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

JD has been in control of the roster for 1 season. He got Sam an entirely new OL (with mixed results) and got him a talented WR.... but Rome wasn’t built in a day.

If a haul is offered, taking it would be the safest bet for JD. His background is in scouting. We currently have 9 picks (4 1sts)in the 1st 3 rounds this year and next. Trade back and add 3 1sts from the Eagles that’s 12 picks with fucking 7 in the 1st round!!!! That’s half a team made up by JD from the draft over 2 years with 6... if we believe that man is a good talent evaluator with his finger in the pulse of the league, that’s a championship roster.

Either he’s going to suck or look good.

What if he actually looks good under the LeFleur system and some sucker of a team with playoff hopes trades for him mid season?

What if he’s horrible. We play 13 teams with legit playoff hopes. We get a top 5 pick next year.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but you're wrong. Your logic is a fail. The safest thing is to take a QB in the draft. If Sam develops, great. If not, they still have the rookie. Passing on a QB and then not have one going into next season would be the worst possible thing JD could do. Their chances of getting a great prospect next season would be slim and none, and even if they found some team to trade down, it would cost more than the haul they could get this year for trading down. The net sum would be negative, because they'd lose more draft picks than they gained, and be a year later getting their offense together. Even if a miracle happened and the light suddenly went on for Sam, it would hurt the team financially, because they'd have to pay him big bucks immediately, and they'd lose the cheap rookie QB cap re-set, and would thus slow down the rebuild.

#1218 NCJetsfan, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

If Sam sucks and we play 13 playoff caliber teams next year, how many wins do you think we’re going to have?

Us and Detroit. Who else will be looking for a QB next year.

Think of ever playoff team. How many of them got their FQB with a #1 or 2 pick?

You say my logic is a fail, I say you suffer from cognitive dissidence. My way gives us a ton of options, yours locks us in. If JD thinks Wilson is the man, I’m not going to be mad but if he trades back for a haul, I’m very excited for the 2022 season.

20. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

REVISion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.