Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I read that at least 8 teams have contacted the jets about Sam. If he is soooooooooooooooo BAD as you repeatedly contend, why the interest from many other teams? Also, everything you claim about Wilson WAS said about SAM three years ago (you know, savior, can't miss, best or second best QB, etc.). Douglas could trade down with Atlanta or Carolina and then probably AGAIN with SF and get three first round picks and three second round in picks from 2021-2022. Hopefully the jets will not be drafting this high again for a while. Wilson had one great year (in 2020) but nothing before that--Sound familiar?? Mark Sanchez had the same history and look how he turned out. Look, if the jets take Wilson at #2, I will still root hard for him and the jets. But, to me, this year (and next year with a trade down ) is a can't miss chance to replenish the pathetic roster by drafting some decent players. After years of Mike MacIdiot terrible free agent signings and drafting guys like Hackenberg, Stewart, Smith, Hansen, Lee, Maulden, and ignoring the OL, we finally have a chance to draft some real talent with a GM without his head up his butt--THAT is why I want the trade down(s). I KNOW your answer is going to be something like "Without a great QB what good is an otherwise stocked roster?" The answer--I am not ready to give up on Sam yet since he has had squat to work with so far, and nothing precludes the jets from trading down as I suggest and still getting a quality QB like Lance or someone else a little later in this draft or next. Since you and others have changed your avatar to glorify Wilson, I am not shocked you do not agree. We are just going to have to disagree, but feel free to respond anyway if you want. You can have the last word although I don't think either of us will convince the other.

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well actually, I think you might've misunderstood me on this - I prefer them to draft Wilson (or whomever JD thinks is best QB) at #2, but I was just acknowledging that maybe the best move is to trade back and get more picks, however, having waited decades for an actual, homegrown FQB, I'm tired of waiting. But like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if they trade back and I understand the appeal, even if I don't agree with it.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

I agree with - or at least can see the logic in - everything you say here, BUT...I believe Wilson is the real deal, unlike Darnold was. I wasn't for Darnold then, I was actually hoping for Rosen (shows how much I know! LOL!), and the reason was I didn't like his accuracy issues, and I didn't like his big "wind up" when he threw, but once he got here, I was hoping his "intangibles" - which he did have - would trump the other stuff. At first they did, but after two years of Gase smothering that part of his game, he regressed and the accuracy issues never improved. MAYBE he can be resurrected, and if the Jets do that, great, but he'll never be as good as Wilson or even Mac Jones, and probably not even Fields or Lance, so I think the Jets need to capitalize on the apparent belief by other teams that he can be fixed and move on from him. And the fact that Douglas openly said he'd pick up the phone and listen to offers for him really seems to indicate that he's moving on.

On Wilson, I can't say that I'm as certain about him as I was about Mahomes - I'd say it's more like I felt about Watson: pretty sure, but I had some questions about whether his arm was strong enough for the Meadowlands. But I wasn't as sure about ANY QB before or after Mahomes like I was about him - maybe P. Manning and Elway. So yeah, I have some doubt, and I admit there's a risk, but there will ALWAYS be a risk. Furthermore, while you tout the advantage of getting a bunch of good draft picks by trading back, you don't mention how much trading back up in the future to have a shot at a FQB would cost, nor any mention of the fact that there's no guarantee that another team with a #1 or #2 pick would even trade. IOW, sitting at #2 with 5 highly rated QBs coming out is a "perfect storm" that only happens once in a few decades: the last time we picked this high was 1996 at #1, and before that 1990 at #2, and never before that (post-merger), so this is an extremely rare opportunity.

The only alternative I can really see besides taking a QB at #2 is if JD gets Watson (or R. Wilson). If instead he signs a JAG QB to hold the fort while he builds up the team, I'll be really disappointed and will probably fade into the woodwork until such time as the Jets become actual contenders, and I'll likely die before that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

Sorry if I offended anyone.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The only thing that would have made that PSA better is if he had slowly shoved the little boy into the water with an oar.

bicketybam and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. abyzmul

Just yanking your chain, CC.

8. ColoradoContrails

No problem. I like to think I respect all people, but I do have my blind spots. I have to admit it was a spot on jab!:oops:

Noam likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

10. ColoradoContrails

Good interview, but of course it's just one guy's opinion, albeit an informed one. I hope he's right.

11. This interview tossed aside i rarely agree w this guy & actually had it out w him & one of his cronies pretty good on twitter.He honestly believes that since 2011 the jets offensive weapons have been good & the entire offensive issue has been solely OL. I couldnt take him seriously after that

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

I didn't know that. Puts him in a different light for sure.

13. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Seem like a complete moron. We haven't had good skill players outside of 1 or 2 a year since then. And even when we had 2 (decker and marshall) our line and our qb situation was bad. I don't think we have had a good TE (non-injury prone included) since Keller.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Robby Sabo or the other guy whose name escapes me?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. I rambled off all the David Nelson & clyde gate type names,he got straight up nasty back.Struck a nerve for sure. Course i dont like hearing those names either!

J-Raw24 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Sabo.

FTR, im sure he puts alot of time into what he does. But hes disagreeable & then offered up that gem which seemed about right from his other material

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter, all these guys are insufferable and it appears that they actually believe that what they're doing has some value. At least Garth and Wayne realized they would never get out of the basement. Oh, yeah - the guy's name is Assman!

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I was joking Whenever I hear/read "Jewish friend" it makes me think of that PSA. It aired pretty regularly when I was a kid. Saturday mornings if I remember correctly.

No worries. I was just making a funny!

19. abyzmul

He lost me right off the bat when he said the Ravens built that team during Flacco's rookie year, completely talking out of his ass. That team was continuously built for a decade before Flacco was drafted. All of the foundation players were in place and many of them were there before Flacco even started playing college ball.

20. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Lol wut

REVISion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.