Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this. I appreciate the news but i will believe it when i see it.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I have no clue how reliable Teichert is. I've seen his name before, but know nothing about him.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

So ur saying we should keep Sam and use our draft picks to build a REAL team? I'm in!

barfolomew likes this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So if you just put ***SOURCE*** above any sentence does that mean it's true?

***SOURCE***
    My farts smell like potpourri.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

LOL Good question! That's why I said, "For What It's Worth." Teichert may be a total hack.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but in today's NFL, there are no teams like that.

I don't even think Sam could win with the 85 Bears. 1972 Dolphins would not have gone undefeated if Sam was their QB.

NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  7. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

The qb merry go rd keeps turning. It sucks that Wentz went so cheap. I think it has to push down Sams value. I really think if Watson is traded it is to San franciso,or stays in Houston. That leaves Pats, Panthers, Redskins, and maybe Falcons. Of those the pats would seem to be the team most in need of a qb. If I am houston and I trade Watson. I do not want a qb coming back . I am tanking big time Maybe sign Fitz or someone to pretend. Then Gara can be traded for a 2nd to the Pats. The pieces mix and interchange together. Maybe atlanta trades Ryan to San Fran. which would could be great for the Jets is someone is willing to jump atlanta and Miami. I do not see the Redskins giving up a lot to move up to two. They are building a very solid young team and they could only take Wilson after Haskins The other team is Carolina who i could see wanting to add an young qb. I think they would want Trask

Losmeister and barfolomew like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If you look like your avatar then I am sure they do :)

barfolomew likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I will say that I do truly feel bad for Sam. It's a weird situation because the 2019 off-season saw Mac hire Gase, and then spend like crazy in Free Agency. The Jets were fully supposed to compete in 2019. Gase clearly wasn't happy with Free Agency and Draft decisions, then Mac gets fired. Joe Douglas gets hired, sees the roster is a mess, gets a 6 year deal, and begins his re-build.

Joe Douglas was hired, basically tore down the rest of the Jets roster (rightfully so), and now has started to build it back up. 2019 and 2020 would have been difficult for any QB on the Jets roster. Now, in 2021, things are starting to look up. It should be a good situation for any QB, and now Sam is likely being dumped. That is bad luck. Throw in mono, a shoulder injury, and playing for Gase, and it is truly horrendous luck.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree. Sam run into a buzz saw for his entire career here. Mac incompetence coupled with the hiring of Gase was the most disruptive and destructive force the Jets have seen. He was too green to overcome this cluster fuck. I certainly hope a team with a top notch CS sees the value and gives him a real chance. Having said that, I don’t think JD will trade him for peanuts like some here believe. I’m confident two 2s or a 1 can be possible. Wentz started out strong but his worth now, including his mega salary, injury history and recent past performance is not a great measuring stick.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

12. Footballgod214

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And is often synonymous.

14. Footballgod214

:):D <-- that;s the best we have for 'made me laugh'!

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Burrow's season lives in a class of its own though. He threw for 1,171 more yards, 19 more touchdowns, and only 2 more interceptions at 76% in only two additional games. He also added almost 400 yards on the ground and 5 rushing touchdowns to Mac Jones negligible yardage and 1 touchdown.

Plus he's mobile and they beat 7 teams that were ranked in the top 10 at the time of the game. Alabama and Jones beat 6 ranked teams but only 4 in the top 10. And I think the SEC was slightly better because of LSU and Georgia's elite status. Alabama really only had extremely stiff competition against Florida this year before the CFP. I know Georgia was ranked third at the time but they really weren't the Georgia they've been in recent years.

16. NCJetsfan

https://thejetpress.com/2021/02/20/ny-jets-leaning-sam-darnold-report/

NY Jets are leaning toward moving on from Sam Darnold, per report
    by Justin Fried1 day ago

NY Jets’ quarterback Sam Darnold‘s future remains uncertain as we approach the end of February. The former No. 3 overall pick has been the subject of rampant rumors this offseason regarding his status on the Jets’ roster.

Could the Jets look to move on from Darnold in pursuit of his replacement? Or will he be given one final chance to prove that he’s the guy?

While it remains unclear as of now, one recent report suggests the Jets have an idea of what they will ultimately decide to do.

Brandon Tierney of CBS Sports reported on Saturday that the Jets are “leaning toward moving on from Sam Darnold” as of right now. However, Tierney did indicate that the “building is somewhat split.”

What will the NY Jets decide to do with Sam Darnold?
    Tierney’s report suggests that there are still some members of the Jets’ organization that might still want to keep Darnold. That said, it does appear as though there are more in favor of the opposite.

Darnold is coming off the worst year of his professional career having posted just nine touchdowns as compared to 11 interceptions a year ago. He completed under 60 percent of his passes and averaged a woeful 6.1 yards per attempt.

He was arguably the worst starting quarterback in football. His situation was certainly poor, but his disappointing play superseded that.

The question is does the new Jets’ coaching staff headed by Robert Saleh and Mike LaFleur believe they could salvage Darnold’s career? Perhaps some in the organization do, but no one knows exactly how Saleh and LaFleur feel.

And perhaps more importantly, it’s unclear how general manager Joe Douglas feels.

With the No. 2 overall pick in one of the best quarterback classes in recent memory, would the Jets really pass on selecting Darnold’s replacement given that he only has one year left on his rookie contract?

It seems like a foolish decision given how poorly Darnold has played and his looming contract expiration.

But plenty of people in the NFL remain high on Darnold and don’t feel as though he’s been given a fair shake. It’s hard to argue that the environment he’s been placed in over the last three years has been conducive to developing a young quarterback.

The Jets might ultimately decide to move on from Darnold for logistical and financial reasons. And though no decision has been made as of yet, it seems as though that’s the direction they’re leaning.

17. NCJetsfan

IMO the following is a great article. The author looks at both sides of the coin of keeping/trading Sam Darnold in an objective manner, and speaks about the polarization of everything in American culture now, and relates that to Jets fans and Sam Darnold. Unfortunately he dips into politics for a sentence or two, but balances it out.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/02/21/...standing-the-unwavering-sam-darnold-defender/

The struggle within: Understanding the unwavering Sam Darnold defender
    By
    Robby Sabo
    -
    02/21/2021

To even attempt to understand the hardened Sam Darnold defender is to dive into a world that presents a seriously-flawed internal struggle.

Welcome to today. This day. This specific moment in time. The world that often promotes a cultish-like behavior from an overwhelming segment of humanity.

The democrats did something evil? No worries, for republicans are more sinister (insert an imaginary Mr. Charles Montgomery Burns “excellent” GIF), so let’s rationalize and move forward. (And yeah, of course we could reverse the two political parties and have it all come out in an identical fashion, allowing the entire idea of choosing one of two sides to feel incredibly idiotic.)

Your favorite professional sports league just cannot help but ignore any conversation dealing with China? Ah, don’t sweat it. Those who bring up the point have their own unique agenda.

Your favorite football team is ready to move on from their starting quarterback? Let’s name two captains and allow the two sides to materialize virtually.

Today’s culture has yet to be clearly defined, but what’s crystal clear is the way humans have overwhelmingly chosen one of two sides to only stick with that sentiment through thick and thin, silly and serious, intelligent and downright dumb. There’s no room for nuance, additional information or any wavering whatsoever. In fact, today’s social media mindset goes against everything a football coach promotes in his daily life (no wonder there are so few coaches on Twitter).

In reality, it’s the process that’s most important, not the results. How one arrives at a certain destination is far more critical than the destination itself, for it develops a procedural template that can replicate future positive results. But alas, that’s not our current sports media climate.

Nearly any subject could be viewed with this cultish-like behavior in mind. The New York Jets, for instance, are currently in the process of determining which route to take at the quarterback position.

Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, Mike LaFleur and the rest of the crew will objectively consider the options, while the majority of the fanbase is already separated into two camps:
    1. Pro-Sam Darnold
    2. Anti-Sam Darnold
    Are you in the pro-Sam Darnold camp or the anti-Sam Darnold camp? There is no gray area. You can either profess your love for the current Jets quarterback or bash him to high heaven. There is no in-between. Those are the rules.

As silly as this absolutist line of thinking is on paper is how alive and well the idea is in reality. For kicks and screams, construct a Darnold tweet that features a concerning post-snap read from 2020 and watch the reactions flood in. (Not even the antichrist could match your evil doings.)

The struggle within, for the absolutists out there (on both sides of the coin), is as legitimate as anything in Jet land today. But why? Why can’t a level-headed conversation be had instead of bits and pieces of information leading to two camps viciously attacking one another?

It’s simple (sort of). Most of it boils down to hope.

Darnold represents the most recent signal of hope. When things aren’t right—something Jets fans understand pretty damn well—hope is what gets an individual through the day, through the week, through the year, through the damn rebuild … yet again.

Selected third overall in the 2018 NFL draft, the California quarterback was a “can’t miss” prospect.

On the night of April 26, 2018, he stood up, met Roger Goodell at the podium and happily held that No. 1 jersey with both hands. Jets fans around the globe rejoiced in the idea that the messiah had arrived. Suddenly, the hardest part of the rebuild was solved, courtesy of some Mike Maccagnan draft-pick shaking and baking.

It was, for most Jets fans, perfection.

While “generational talent” didn’t appear next to his draft bio, what the kid did in the Rose Bowl against Penn State and Saquon Barkley showcased the tip of the iceberg. The way he fearlessly threw the ball, oftentimes on the run, seemed perfect for today’s more mobile NFL.

A clearly-rebuilding football team, one that hadn’t enjoyed a true franchise quarterback since Joe Namath, the Jets finally got their guy. The only thing left was to put the pieces around the kid.

Three years later … Darnold is no closer to fulfilling that promise.

Letting go is tough.

Nevermind his 22 total 2017 turnovers in a defensive-challenged Pac-12. Nevermind the whispers about his struggling quarterback mind when reading defenses. He was the guy and a celebration was needed.

The ugly stats and numerous instances that feature a confused Darnold pre and post-snap are abundant. There’s really no need to rehash some of the material (as Jet X has covered the subject ad nauseam). The only critical thing to understand is our absolutist nature as a human species in today’s social media age. None of it matters for one simple reason beyond the hope factor: Adam Gase.

The struggle within for the furious Darnold defenders doesn’t deal with the quarterback’s overall talent or production at all. It instead deals with hope and the roadblock that was the head coach. How could any quarterback succeed in a Gase-run offense?

Actually, there’s good reason to believe Darnold can find success at this level. He clearly has the raw traits needed to get it done, and he even put up a respectable rookie season that provided even more hope leading into the Gase era. But despite the fact Darnold’s 2019 numbers were slightly better than his rookie numbers (under Gase), only one of these two men has been the problem the entire time.

That’s rule No. 1 in today’s sports media landscape: Two things can’t be true at the same time. Gase can’t stink as an offensive mind while Darnold stinks when reading defenses. Nevermind the Jets’ historically-awful season, one that set offensive football back a few decades this past season. There can only be one villain in this game.

Readers will surely take in this information and automatically assume I’m an anti-Darnold fella. How dare I say such things about the great hope who followed Christian Hackenberg, Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez and Browning Nagle. The Jets have sought a true franchise quarterback for decades and those who defy Darnold and glutens for more punishment. (Besides, the idea that Darnold, the great hope, is given up on too soon and finds wild success elsewhere is too much to even ponder.)

The Shanahan system, combined with a legitimate offensive line and weapons, is surely the medicine needed to right the ship.

Perhaps.

18. NCJetsfan

Personally, I think Darnold can experience success in this league. I can envision a near-30-touchdown, 4,000-yard performance in his future at some point.

The problem, as usual, is context. The problem, as always, is a lack of nuance.

Jared Goff threw for 4,688 yards and 32 touchdowns in 2018. It doesn’t mean he’s a “franchise quarterback” in today’s camouflaged NFL. If he is, then so are 20 to 25 other quarterbacks.

Courtesy of the pass-happy rules that discriminate against every defensive player, average and even below-average quarterbacks can enjoy decent statistical seasons from time to time. The numbers are so bloated that nearly every quarterback has that opportunity. We just haven’t fully adjusted to the new numbers.

The real question that needs to be asked is this: Could Darnold’s talents and mind for the game place him among the top several quarterbacks in the 1990s, well before the NFL changed the name of the game to heavily favor the passing game? Could the USC product have thrived alongside the likes of Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Steve Young, Troy Aikman and others?

Can he reach an Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes or even Deshaun Watson-type level today? Douglas isn’t looking for a guy who can blow hot and cold over a career, depending on his situation. He’s looking for the next Mahomes, a guy who can elevate an entire organization over the period of many years.

Then, what’s important is this: Will he immediately fetch the 2021 results needed to weather the storm of doubt coming from every direction? The fact he has just one year left on his rookie deal is critical when determining the team’s future at the position. No legitimate general manager would dare pick up his costly fifth-year option, which means if the Jets choose Darnold this offseason, a multi-year deal is required after witnessing just one season of play without Gase.

It’s incredibly risky thanks to the salary cap.

Even if he somewhat succeeds, it could be trouble. What’s a general manager to do if Darnold puts up 24 touchdowns to 14 interceptions while throwing for 3,672 yards in 15 games? Missing on the second contract is what kills front office careers—not the first. At least not anymore.

Back to square one. Do the Jets have a top-10 pick in 2022? Who are the rookie options? Will it fetch as desirable a situation as what Douglas has right now with the No. 2 pick and plenty of options to immediately strike?

The rookie wage scale introduced a decade ago has made drafting the top-10 quarterback a cheat code. Not only can the rest of the roster be more easily built, but the franchise can also easily move on from the kid if he doesn’t work out—courtesy of the much-cheaper contract ($7-$9 million a season over the first four years).

Darnold and a draft option cannot be compared as apples to apples. The hardened Darnold defender thinks of Zach Wilson or Justin Fields as carrying more risk than Darnold. But why? The risk of a struggling quarterback having just one year remaining on an affordable deal versus a kid whose sky-high confidence starts at year No. 1 of four affordable seasons is a landslide victory for the latter.

What the Darnold defenders need to do is explain his poor post-snap reads and lack of understanding leverage in a way that always ties into Gase’s system. Only then can quality back up the point.

What’s most frustrating is that the topic’s minutia is endless but rarely explored. Yet, minutia is exactly what the doctor ordered. And until the minutia is discussed in a nuanced manner, Jets fans will remain divided until the day the decision is made.

Understanding the hardened Sam Darnold defender is pretty easy when today’s social climate is examined. The same can be said for the hardened Sam Darnold hater.

It’s a damn shame, too. Good reasons exist on both sides of the Sam Darnold argument. Unfortunately, very few New York Jets fans would know it.

Everybody’s too busy rabidly fighting for one of two sides without context and nuance.

Welcome to … today, the place where sports media takes must be unwavering in nature.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yes, food for thought. But I disagree that the issue is "black or white" - you're either FOR Sam or AGAINST Sam. Speaking for myself, I'm not FOR or AGAINST him, I can simply see arguments for keeping him that make sense and arguments for getting rid of him that make sense, and what that tells me is that the decision is anything but "black or white". In any case, it's Douglas who has to decide and I think he and Saleh have decided what Darnold's fate is, with the only question is: Can we get what we think he's worth? If not, then I think Douglas keeps him and works around that; if they can get what they want, he sends Sam away.

Ralebird, SoylentGreen and SOJAZ like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

He is generalizing, of course. I knew that you and others here (and I suspect elsewhere) are on the fence and could go either way. I think he does lay out the pros and cons very clearly, and shows why it is way more risky to keep Sam than it is to trade him and draft a QB.

As long as we can get a 3rd round pick or better, I think Sam is a goner. In that way, at least the Jets get something for him other than maybe a very late 3rd round pick. The only things that may keep Sam a Jet for 2021 are 1) if they don't like one of Wilson, Fields or Lance (and I can't imagine that); and 2) if they don't want to spend money or time signing a FA QB for 2021. That really doesn't make any sense, however, because Tyrod Taylor, C.J. Beathard, and Andy Dalton would all be cheaper than Sam.

It makes sense to sign Beathard since he knows the offense, even though he isn't very good. They aren't going to keep 4 QBs, so they won't keep Sam, sign Beathard, draft a rookie and then keep Morgan too. I don't think they're going to cut or trade Morgan. I think his roster spot is safe, at least for one more season, so the other two QBs will come from among a vet FA, Sam and a rookie.

#320 NCJetsfan, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.