Bryce Petty Not The Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenNYJ, Nov 24, 2016.

1. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

We can't guarantee we will pick Peyton Manning number one over all. He is not the future.

#where_are_you_tuna?

Cman68 likes this.
  2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

We could have picked PM but he told BP that if he picked him he would stay @ UTenn instead of coming out as JR which is what he did :mad:

Jets69 and Cman68 like this.
  3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Sanchez wrecked the Pats in the playoffs that one year.

Sign the beast!

4. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

We can talk about and surmise what we think the front office is doing and saying in reference to QB's all day long. The point is no one knows better than anyone else, it's all a guessing game.

However, what I do know is that there's NO way they are going to decide that Bryce Petty is not NFL material and cut him. Not without giving him an opportunity they won't. If they chose to do that, I would want them fired immediately and I don't believe many would argue. It simply isn't logical to make decisions without giving the kid a shot on the field. Starting one game does NOT constitute giving the kid a shot on the field.

I also agree that actions speak louder than words. You would think that by Bowles constantly going back to Fitz lets you know that Petty and Hack are simply not good enough right now? What I think is Bowles simply does not believe they are ready to start right NOW. The CS stills believes in these guys, they just need more grooming.

It's a sad state of affairs when Fitz is still the best QB on your roster, but that is where this team is right now. Hopefully, (likely not) they develop and become very good QB's someday.........

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Amen to that. The gospel truth.

6. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

The Jets would have ruined Manning.

Cman68 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  7. bartscott

Not true. Archie Manning spoke to Parcells, and said that if Bill would guarantee that the Jets would pick Peyton #1 overall, he would come out as a junior. Parcells in typical egomaniac fashion said he couldn't guarantee it. So Peyton stayed at Tenn. and we got Keyshawn.

Similarly, after Parcells quit after the '99 season, and Belichick was hired, he then decided to stick around and be in charge of football operations. Belichick then decided he didn't want to continue to be in Parcell's shadow, and work for him anymore, so with Krafts tampering, he left. Parcells then quit a year later.

Everyone seems to think that Parcells was good for this franchise. He didn't even do as well as Rex Ryan, (1 AFCCCG vs. 2) and he single-handily made sure that we didn't have a Peyton Manning/Bill Belichick combo here throughout the 2000's.

It's my opinion he hurt this franchise worse than any other coach we've had.

nycarl, Will-I-Am-Not and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Opinions are like assholes...

Keyshawn was drafted by Kotite, not Parcells.

Parcells drafted James Farrior with his first pick after trading away the #1 overall for 4 picks from the Rams including the #6 overall and then traded down 2 more spots for another pick.
    With all those picks he was able to pick up Leon Johnson, Jason Ferguson, and Dedric Ward.

In 2000, his last draft with the Jets - he picked up Sean Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington, and Laverneus Coles - I can hardly say that was not setting this club up to be successful down the road.

Jets69 and BrowningNagle like this.
  9. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

With the way Bowles is handling things I don't think he'd know the future if it kicked him in the goods, bit him on the ass and sat on his face. He'd probably note some discomfort in the groinal region, a mild itching sensation on his posterior and something muffling his ability to properly vocalize most bland and banal tones imaginable.

MizzouJet, Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

And to get those players he cost the Jets a HOF QB, a HOF HC, and two HOF LTs. Brilliant!

11. Section 336

Getting all those picks and players, made the Jets relevant and competitive almost instantly which would not have happened if we took Manning.
    Remember we lost picks getting Parcells and the roster needed an overhaul winning 4 games in 2 years.
    If he picked Manning, there is no guarantee that he would have survived or become the player he ended up being.
    You cannot say he cost us Manning and Pace, because it was impossible to get both -- so it was one or the other.

I truly believe Archie and Peyton were playing the Jets, they did not want to go to the Jets and knew Parcells would not be bullied into committing to take him #1. Thereby announcing the decision to stay at Tenn which he was going to do anyway.

Pacells did not cost us a HOF coach, Hess dying cost the Jets Belicheck not Parcells.

Talk of Parcells being the worst Jets coach and hurt this franchise is utter fucking nonsense.

Jets69 likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Pacells did not cost us a HOF coach, Hess dying cost the Jets Belicheck not Parcells.

Talk of Parcells being the worst Jets coach and hurt this franchise is utter fucking nonsense.[/QUOTE]

Wait just a minute, lets not go ape shit here. Parcell is a megalomaniac that cost us BB, pure and simple. Let's not go crazy and blame a dead man for that cluster fuck move. Parcell would not relinquish top control, same shit he did in Dallas....and the rest is history.

13. NCJetsfan

I agree that saying that Parcells was one of the worst Jets HCs is nonsense. He was a great HC except for the first half of the 1999 season. He was pretty awful then. He chose not to have a real backup QB on the roster. Then he went with Mirer and stuck with Mirer for far too long. Parcells went into a total self pity shell when Testaverde went down in the season opener. That showed that he didn't care about the Jets, only his legacy.

Parcells made the Jets relevant and competitive, not so much his draft picks. He brought in a bunch of solid vets that made the team relative and competitive. Some of the draft picks helped, but he missed on as many as he hit.

I totally disagree that the other players he took were more valuable than Manning would have been, at least in the long term. I didn't say that he cost us both Manning and Pace. He did cost us Manning imo, and then cost us not only Pace as a replacement consolation prize for Manning, but then bypassed Walter Jones as well in order to take Lageman. He could have had Jones and still had some of the players you mentioned.

I also disagree that it was Hess dying that made Belichik leave. That was part of it, but I believe the major part was that he didn't like Parcells and was tired of him. He wanted to get out from under Parcells' shadow. I believe that if Parcells had totally left that Belichik would have stayed.

Parcells did screw the franchise. He didn't stay and finish the job he started, and his staying on as GM cost us a great HC, and his hand-picked successors (Groh and Bradway) were awful. He also hurt the franchise with his grocery shopping.

#33 NCJetsfan, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    LarryAlRalph and bartscott like this.
  14. bartscott

Bill Belichick is without question top three best HC in the history of the NFL. Possibly the best.

Peyton Manning is top five best QB ever in the NFL. Possibly the best.

Bill Parcells coached the Jets for three years and got to one AFCCG. During that time, his presence forced Belichick to step aside as HC not once, but twice. Also during that time it was his decision not to draft Peyton Manning.

Think about it. If he NEVER coached a game for the NYJ's, we would have Belichick as our coach in 1997. Belichick drafts Manning, and maybe we don't go 12-4 in '98, but I do know that the '2000s are very different.

So yeah I would classify costing us a shot at a HOF coach and a HOF QB as hurting this franchise worse than any other coach.

But '98 was fun.

15. Section 336

I am not a Parcells fan, I always thought he was an arrogant prick.
    I disagree that he cost us BB because you know there was an under the table agreement that brought in BB as Assistant Head Coach in 97.
    If we were not making a play for Parcells, we were not hiring Belicheck from underneath the Pats and Parcells after his losing stint with the Browns,

So , If we don't hire Parcells, BB is never here -- so you can't say Parcells costs us something we would never of had.
    And if you are going to argue about the timeline of hires, it is meaningless as Parcells was the end game all along.

16. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

The indisputable truth is that its impossible to know whether or not Petty has the stuff to be a good NFL QB until he is able to start and finish a bunch of consecutive NFL games. Unfortunately it doesn't like we'll ever find out under Bowles.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

wouldn't the fact that a coach who seems desperate to win games won't start him over the 32nd ranked starting qb in the league be evidence that he probably isn't going to be good?

18. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

fixed that for you.

19. NCJetsfan

No, not in the least. How is it evidence that a young QB isn't going to be good when the HC is desperate to win games and is not willing to take a risk on a young QB who has no NFL experience? Said coach is going with a 11 year veteran who QB'd his team to 10 wins last season. Said coach is trying to save his job and isn't worried about who will be QBing the team next season.

Anyone who has one shred of logic would not see that as evidence that the QB is bad. It's clearly a matter of the coach trying to save his job, and he's delusional enough to think Fitz gives him the best chance. Ironically, by playing Petty, he might actually win some games, save his job, and give the Jets the answer they need about next season.

20. bartscott

This theory uses the assumption that Todd Bowles makes good decisions. But everything we see this year doesn't show that.

Not playing Petty today is the same as punting on 4th and two at mid field down by 11 with seven minutes left. It's the safe play. It screams passive, safe, boring football.

Manish fuckhead Meta is saying the same thing. "It's an indictment on Petty." Bullshit. It's an indictment on Bowles. I guarantee that if Prescott was our 2nd string QB, still unproven, Bowles would be making this same decision. And that is why he'll follow in the long line of crappy ex NYJ HC's.