Bryce Huff - interesting article about his contract and future with Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Aug 30, 2023.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

We have a two year window to win super bowls. We need good players now to accomplish those goals. A comp pick in 2025 is not going to help that effort.

They should be trying re-sign Huff now before the season starts.

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and Lon Chaney like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

next year this is the edges we have under contract
    JFM, clemmons (kinda moving to DT though this year), WMD, JJ so resigning huff makes sense. maybe we can offer a contract like jacob martin got from us. and do 2 years 12 mil

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think it is more about building a consistent contender than trying to fit ultimate success into a 2 year window that is affected by a trillion variables. I can see the logic in it. It's not just Huff, but also Ashtyn Davis and Michael Carter. If the Jets go deep and also have a top 5 defense, teams follow that copycat model every offseason overpaying to pick up depth players from contenders to appease their fan base. The Jets were one of those teams many times. Joe looks like he's trying to develop currency in the annual comp pick bonanza that we have missed out on for most of a decade.

4. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

The thing we gotta realize though is that if JJ and WMD both live up to their potential, they can’t sign everybody. But yeah, Huff’s pure pass rushing ability is elite- but I don’t know if he can be an every down guy

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I disagree. If Huff does what he did last year, he's gonna get a contract similar to what JFF got. Something like 4 for $50 mil..... Possibly more.

He isn't just good and rushing the passer, he's one of the best in the league. He has shortcomings so he won't get $20 mil per, but definitely not 2 for $12 mil.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah there is supposed to be a pipeline of players going through and walking to FA to produce comp picks I think. Not guys like JJ and WMD, but it might be realistic to expect Michael Clemons to test FA unless he replaces JFM at some point.

7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I like this thinking but also, we are so stacked on the defensive line that I think I would prefer to see Huff traded for a promising tackle - I know teams hold on to those like security blankets, but I really would like to see something done to beef up that line. It really could be our downfall.

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's really easy to see why they would let him walk...

He Is fantastic against the pass but he Isn't strong against the run. He Isn't an every down player, and they already have too many young pups In the pipeline to be giving Huff a massive contract. They have several other players that are very strong In the pass rush department, but better against the run.

I really like Huff but If he Is going to get a big contract, It would be wise to let him walk with all the talent we already have In front of him.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand your desire to shore up the OT position, but no one is going to trade a starting caliber OT, at least not a young healthy one. I don't think trading the top pass rusher in the NFL percentage wise for a middling, backup OT this season would be a wise move for this season at all. Having those fresh pass rushers to send at opposing QBs is priceless. If we weren't all in to make the SB and were rebuilding, that would be one thing. We also know that Rodgers can get the ball out very quickly, so he's not likely to take a lot of hits or get sacked very often. AVT and Becton should open huge holes in the rushing attack. Brown and Tomlinson are not exactly slackards in that, either. I totally understand the concern over the OT position. I just don't think there are many good options at this point.

Prior to last season, Brown hadn't missed a game in the last 2 seasons, the most games he missed in any one season was in 2017 (6) and in a little over half of his seasons (8 of 15) he didn't miss a single game. He played most of last season with two torn rotator cuffs, so he's tough.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Thanks was just going to ask this question.
    So Lawson has 6.4M dead money 2024 whether he plays or not, and is a UFA?
    If that's the case, have to assume Lawson is gone, and i would certainly want to re-sign Huff.

I would also think JFM will be released.
    Clemons can fill his role for way less. That frees up some money, and 2 roster spots between Lawson and JFM open up.

Our strength at edge pass rushing, along with really good CB's, is going to make this defense very good.
    Huff makes a lot of sense to keep imo, to ensure that remains a strength.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  11. Lon Chaney

Yes. It's a 6.4 million hit and he's a UFA. They did it to free up money for this year. It is what it is.

I want Huff to stay. I just can't see a situation where they can fit him under the cap. Maybe. The salary cap is always something that can be manipulated.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Any chance they might keep him over JFM?--a 2024 post-june1 cut frees up 13.9mm with a 2.5mm dead cap hit.

NCJetsfan and All Gas No Shake like this.
  13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Well we've got a season to play out, and players to evaluate before we can make any informed decisions.

There's a lot of dead money mortgaged into 2024 already, and no first round pick.
    But it also might be Rodgers last season, so I expect they go all in.

We have right now 24M in space.
    Cutting JFM, Laken Tomlinson, and Uzomah creates another 20M (although leaves more dead cap as well, weren't the best contracts).

First priority will be the Oline.
    Hoping Becton has a great year, and we use cap to re-sign.
    Will need more OT depth as well as OG depth to replace Brown and Tomlnson as well.

Depending how Huff does, he might just be a priority after that, assuming JFM and Lawson gone.
    We have the leverage to re-sign during the season.

All depends how the season plays out, and where they feel the remaining cap can have the most impact.
    Edge rushing is certainly an impactful position, so it's something to consider.

14. Lon Chaney

Definitely a possibility. JFM is more well rounded, but Huff had that elite asset.

Obv anything can happen and things will change. As of right now, I'm in the Huff camp over JFM.

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think a decent comp is Yannick Ngakoue….an undersized DE/EDGE who’s primarily a pass rusher. While YN had the opportunity from day one to gain the trust of his staff due to his draft status, Huff has had to scratch and claw, so he doesn’t have nowhere the counting stats that YN does nor does he get the opportunities. But Huff is now getting that interest as a pass rusher. Before he hit FA, Ngakoue signed a FT for around 17 mill, then in FA, he had a 2/26 type deal. This year he got 10 from the Bears.

Depending on the ascension, maybe Huff gets to a point where he’s getting 8-9 sacks a year and now you have to pay him. We will see

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

jacob martin had similar metrics to huff when we signed him. he has a high% on low snaps against winded o-lineman. you don't pay 12.5mil a season to a player who only plays 30% of the snaps

KingRoach likes this.
  17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Getting off the field on 3rd down goes a long way in winning and eventually making the playoffs. I'd argue it's possible that Huff's current value to winning may be more than JFM's value although he plays less snaps.

BacktoQueens and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

You'd have to compare him to current 3rd down only rushers. someone like ngakoue who just got 1 year for 10.5 mil and is 28 so still young for an edge, and has way more success then huff overall. he was a starter with 9.5 sacks last year (started 15 games) and still only got 10.5 mil for 1. I don't see how huff gets more then that. especially when we have WMD for that role thats younger, cheaper, and on a rookie deal as a 1st round pick and JJ who was a 1st rounder a year ago. huff has 7.5 career

IDFjet and KingRoach like this.
  19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Hey, if they get a couple of decent Comp picks, then maybe they can trade up into the 1st round. Or they can just draft for depth. Who knows ...

abyzmul likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. How is JD responsible for Lawson tearing his achilles tendon? Lawson looked like a beast before he tore his achilles. By all accounts it takes 2 years to come back from a torn achilles. This is the 2nd year. Your take makes no sense.

IDFjet and KingRoach like this.