Browns to Cut Josh Gordon (Traded to Pats)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FJF, Sep 15, 2018.

1. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Ian Rapoport I believe. I’m on instagram too much maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

i agree, the reason i stated it as such as we don't have a 2nd rounder and wanted it to provoke thought as should we give up a premium pick for a troubled yet talented WR

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Not sure about a third.

I'm sure the asking price is more for AFC teams.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If he's cut, then waivers run. Jets were 6th on the waiver wire last I looked. If he's not claimed he can sign where he wants.

I think...

But if teams are offering compensation, there's a 99.9% chance he's traded today.

5. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

from what I've seen he does not go to waivers, due to years in the league or something

If he's released, he's immediately a Free Agent

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I just got an update on my phone also saying the Jets were the "Front runner" for Gordon.

It was a fantasy football update. Weird

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

No way in hell I trade a third for him — way too much risk.

Maybe a 4th if it is conditional on certain playing requirements

hastygreen, CotcheryFan and CBG like this.
  8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

336 why trade anything for him, he will be released and even then I would not touch him

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

True - that was my initial reaction too - when it was announced they were releasing him.

I do think somone will be willing to trade something for him, how much we will find out - hopefully not the Jets putting to much at risk.

10. Conditional is way to go.If he doesnt meet certain criteria jets are off the hook similar to Hack trade but certainly a higher pick than a 7th & much higher expectations

grkmanga31 likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i wouldn't give up a pick unless it's like a conditional 6th or 7th since they are gonna release him today anyway and we can take a run at him as a FA but i'm all for bringing him in as a FA if we can

12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

This guy was on double secret probation and it is and was supposed to be on his best behavior right here and now. For the Browns to just announce this or cut him loose says all we need to know. Might the patriots or Cowboys go after this guy , possible but I would not touch him

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  13. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind bringing Gordon in but wouldn't do anything serious like a 3rd even if it's adequate compensation for potential talent. I'd maybe do a 4th for him and a pick. Depending on what's out there in FA next year the Jets need to plunk down at least 1 of the day 1/2 picks on a quality offensive lineman that can step in immediately.

I don't have faith that they'd go that way rather than a edge rusher in the 1st based on how little attention the OL has received so far. Which means they go ahead and use at least one 3rd on a olineman, maybe both is we're lucky. Course the way we seem to draft early they'll be projects.

Anyway could live with a 4th and we get back a 6th or something or 5th straight up, but I don't think that's going to get it done. If he gets cut I say kick the tires. At this point it's like buying a lotto ticket with this guy more than anything else.

#93 hastygreen, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

This guy was explosive back in 2013. he hasn't done much since, besides not play. I get the fascination based on how great he was, but he is so far removed from that. I would not trade anything for him. No way the Browns trade him to us right before we play them.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Haven't seen any reports of Jets being front runners. Anyone have a link/screenshot?

16. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Nah I'm not down with a pain in the ass ruining a group of guys that are acting like family. They have bigger needs. Our receiving corps are not bad. If bates can scheme to everyone's strengths, they can put up some points.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

He'll yeah. He got St. Pete blood in those veins and oozes Florida swag. :D

18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Don't know. It seems the Jets are focusing on getting players that have a great attitude and energy and leadership skills. Not sure if he fits that profile.

19. No on Bell
    No on Mack
    No on Gordon

Sheeh..youd think we have a top 5 roster full of all pros thee way some of you act.Everyone of those guys has different context & assiciated risk but last i checked this team needs impact players.

Who exactly are folks holding out for???

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

In general I would agree with you, don't trade for a guy about to be cut. But in this specific case, there are benefits to a trade. in some cases its more beneficial.

His present salary is so low, peanuts. Its still a rookie deal, and he's got 2 years left on it. If you trade something for him you get to reap the benefits of that. If he's cut and you get into a bidding war, his contract might cost you more.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.