Bring in on Vilma

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Laveranues, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Keep the trashtalking and attacks in the trashtalking forum. That's why we have it.

2. tucsonsaint

tucsonsaint New Member

Miami your opponents have won 3 games total while ours have won 4. Can you count?

3. Scottso

Scottso Member

Dude you have a very good team, and an offense that hasn't been stopped. We have what has looked so far to be a very good defense. I agree with you, Sunday should be interesting. I haven't watched the Saints at all honestly since Brees has been their QB, and the Jets are gonna blitz him as they do everybody under Rex. Which I think you have to make every quarterback uncomfortable in the pocket, so I love how Rex runs his D. You don't want to let any quarterback sit in the pocket, because it's too easy for them. So, let me ask you, how does Brees look under pressure? Cause I honestly have no idea...

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Most important matchup: Saints' OL vs. Jets' Front 7 (and Jim Leonhard)

-Brees is going to continue to be the best QB in the league if he's left alone back there.
    -Revis is taking Colston out of the game like he did to Andre Johnson and Randy Moss.
    -Until the Jets' running game finds a spark you have to just assume that you'll see more of the same.

5. Saint Smack

Saint Smack New Member

Thanks for the civility. Of course these are two really good teams going at it this Sunday. Props to the Jets as well.

Brees stats are actually higher on plays where an extra rusher is sent in. His release is so quick that he exploits the blitz well. He doesn't get rattled, but I think the pash rush threw off his timing a bit in Buffalo. Our LT position is a weakness right now. Our starter is out, and the reserves have been inconsistent, and that's here people have gotten to him occasionally.

Also, Vilma is playing great and he was a great acquisition for us. Its not Vilma who is overrated, its Will Smith and Charles Grant, our DE's. Our backup DE's are more productive. Drives us nuts. The rest of the D is solid.

6. CatoTheElder

Rex loves to run a lot of overloads, utilizing nickle backs and safeties as pass rushers, which means there's going to be a lot of cover 1. Revis vs. Colston I'm going to have to give to Revis, but if Sheppard isn't playing then Lowery vs. Avery is going to be a little scary for Jets fans.

7. Saint Smack

Saint Smack New Member

Colston is only one of many targets. The Saints are super stacked at the skills positions, and thus the high scoring. Its a matter of picking your poison, as you can't cover them all. I think most Jets fans don't seem to know the Saints that well and seem to think the Saints O is just Brees,Colston, Bush.

Henderson and Meachem are top tier WR's that could be franchise players on any team. Then you have Shockey as a target to cover, and Bush out of the backfield in screens, or lining up in the slot, on reverses, etc. Also, the FB, Heath Evans, has caught two TD passes in the first two games. SO there are so many options for Brees, and his reads are so quick, that it gives opposing DC's fits to cover them all.

So the Saints are a multi dimensional threat, so you have to do a lot more than just cover Colston well. And if you stretch yourself thin, there's the running game, currently ranked #1 in the NFL. Is the running game a mirage like someone said in another thread? Maybe, but that's what happens if you stretch yourself thin trying to cover all the receiving threats. Its a matter of picking your poison.

8. Saint Smack

Saint Smack New Member

That is where the rubber is going to meet the road, my man. If the jets are going to present enough different looks and blitzes to confuse or overload the Saints OL on key downs, then you are onto something. Its going to be like a chess game and that is where the game will be won or lost. The Saints were actually successful with that with some corner blitzes and safety blitzes against the Eagles, and moreso the Bills.

9. CatoTheElder

I've seen Shockey for years and there's an easy way to stop him: don't cover him, he'll drop everything that comes his way when he's open(J/K).

Seriously, though, I forgot about the other WRs. As I said in the last post, Rex is going to use a lot of cover 1. Sheppard can run with Avery and Strickland jamming Meachem will definitely throw him off of his game. The Jets could probably survive with one of those CBs injured but both of them would definitely hurt this defense.

Still, Ryan likes to mix up his coverages and disguise his blitzes. This may be the most complicated defense Breesus (2nd best nickname in NFL) has seen. Should make for a good game.

10. Saint Smack

Saint Smack New Member

I forgot to mention WR Lance Moore, but I think he may not be healthy for this game. I think he'll be listed as doubtful come Wednesday. He is an undersized guy with great hands who catches in traffic. He reminds me a lot of Wayne Chrebet.

11. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

C'mon, even you're not that naive.

I'll give you the Texans. They're not a great team. But they have an offense that this D happened to shut down, and offense that while pales in comparison to that of New Orleans, is still pretty freakin good.

The Patriots? C'mon man, they're the freakin' Patriots. That's Bill Belichick and Tom Brady we're talking about. We shut them down as well, and that, while not being the unbelievable offense of two years ago, is still a good offensive unit. You can't not give us credit for beating them.

And the Titans are the best 0-3 team in the history of the NFL. They played three games they could have and probably should have won (Mouton fumbling twice?). That's right, I just admitted the Jets should have lost this Sunday, but they didn't, and that shows something. They also have a standout offense with White, Chris Johnson, and Kerry Collins who was slinging bullets like Brett Favre (and the picks too).

You played Detroit? An Eagles team severely crippled? And the Bills?
    C'mon! You can't be saying that these are even close in terms of teams we've beaten!

12. CatoTheElder

I know it makes my team look better but I hate this phrase. They're 0-3. Stop trying to make it look better.

13. Saint Smack

Saint Smack New Member

No offense, but that is homer vision. You are making up excuses for your weak opponents and trying to exaggerate ours. (other than the Pats: that was a quality opponent). C'mon, man...The best winless team in the history of the NFL? No winless team is good. You are clearly not thinking objectively.

14. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

I didn't say a winless team was good. But some can be less bad than others. You're gonna sit here and tell me that the Titans couldn't beat more than half the teams in the NFL? No fumble here, a better break here, Titans could be easily 2-1.

I'll admit I see our opponents as good teams. The Patriots are better than any team you've played. The Texans are definitely better than one of them, and the Titans are better than probably 2.

15. CatoTheElder

Are you really bashing the Texans offense? They were #3 in the NFL last year and Andre Johnson is the #7 WR so far this season (35/149/86 yards in the last three games, respectively), Schaub is sitting at #4 on the QB list behind Brees, Peyton, and Eli, and Daniels is tied for #5 position for TEs. How can you not call shutting that down an accomplishment?

16. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

This your team had a easier schedule then mine thing is pretty stupid

17. Saint Smack

Saint Smack New Member

Exactly. But its not just that. Its trying to validate Jets wins as more quality wins, and discount Saints wins as empty wins. Pretty silly pursuit, especially when you proclaim you beat the "best winless team in the history of the NFL." That just makes me fucking laugh. I am sorry.

18. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Where were all the Saints fans last time we played them?

19. CatoTheElder

Under about 10 ft. of water, average.

20. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

/thread...