Bridgewater to sign with Jets (1 year deal per Mortensen)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RichardCaster, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Pretty excited to have him here, even on a prove it contract! He was someone I was hoping we'd draft back during the Idzik error. He has FQB potential, and the deal means if he hasn't recovered from that knee injury, the team moves on easily.

I think, to understand why we now have both McCown and Bridgewater on the roster, we need to understand how Mac approaches things. From what we've learnt in the past, he fills all holes in FA, then BPA in the first round of the draft, then looks to improved the roster with later picks. He doesn't like having any holes that force his hand during the draft.

This is why I think this doesn't preclude him from drafting a QB at 6, nor does the Crowell signing preclude Barkley. The one draft pick I think he doesn't make is Nelson, since from what I understand, he tries to build the OL later in the draft if he can?

MoWilkBeast and Noam like this.
  2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It will probably be similar to last year where they have the young QBs play the bulk of the preseason competing for the job. If Teddy can't beat out McCown, it speaks volumes for his ability as well.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

T-T-T-Teddy and the Jets!

4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It's funny because the Jets have already spent close to what would have been spent on Cousins on McCown, Bridgewater, Crowell and Johnson put together. Part of me is definitely relieved we didn't tie that all up in 1 player.

NCJetsfan and playtowinthegame like this.
  5. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

This isn't Petty or Hack with the deer-in-headlights look, Teddy will preform. But you're right, he needs to prove it and based off of taking the deal he is putting his money where his faith is.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

A C, huh. A certain Ohio State C would be a great 2nd round pick. :)

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

There really aren’t that many Hack rumors. There was like one Boston reporter who said his throwing motion looks compact.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

teddy only taking a 1 year deal and knows he is behind mccown? this makes 0 sense from either side's perspective.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think he knows that McCown being “starter” is nothing more than “you were our starter last year so you are our starter going into camp”.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Teddy will take the job

11. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

His arm is better than Bridgewaters. Mayfield can make all the throws.

Anybody can cherry pick highlights. Overall though Bridgewater has never been an NFL playmaker. Not sure how he will be now out of the league two consecutive season. What is his mobility. Can he generate power from his lower body? He never really had a textbook, efficient throwing motion

MJK likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

let's hope so. i have a feeling there is going to be a ot of pissed off people in the qb or bust at 6 camp

Red Menace likes this.
  13. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Fair point, I saw Rich Eisen make it on Twitter too although it's a pretty good bet neither guy lasts sixteen games anyway so that issue would probably take care of itself over time :p

Big Cat likes this.
  14. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't see the point of signing Bridgewater to a one-year deal and just making him the backup if your intent is NOT to draft a QB. If you're not going to draft a QB then you might as well have given Bridgewater 2-3 years and give him a real shot to win the job instead of just bringing them both in on one-year contracts and anoiting McCown the starter. This offseason is a disaster if they only sign two one-year guys and don't draft a QB.

It would be a hilarious draft-day troll if they didn't draft a QB at 6 then traded up for Lamar Jackson later in the first round though :p

15. 101GangGreen101

Its really not that much better IMO. Mayfield cannot make all of the throws, the biggest book on Mayfield is that he didn't complete enough NFL throws at the collegiate level.

Its not about cherry picking, hes been making throws like this since Louisville. Teddy has excellent mechanics, I think you are just making excuses w/ no sort of proof. One of the gifs above clearly show his footwork in the pocket under pressure. His throwing motion is just fine, observe the ball placement. I hope he comes in and lights it up.

16. 101GangGreen101

they are going to be pissed off regardless

FJF likes this.
  17. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Can't remember who said it, but yeah it was just about his throwing motion and how he looked better. Same stuff you usually here.

18. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

He can't beat out McCown. Where are the NFL teams lining up for Bridgewater except us. Denver? Arizona? Buffalo? Minnesota just let him walk without giving two shits. They know what he is. Worthless.

Even us. We're super high on Mayfield, we were in on Cousins. We went back to McCown. That just shows you where Bridgewater was even on our own pecking order. LOW

19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Not me. Depending on who it is. You really can't be mad at grabbing Barkley, Chubb, Nelson or Fitzpatrick.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Love this potential signing. Kid could end up being a FQB.

NOBODY knows for sure.

Hopefully he passes his physical.