Brian Winters cut (Signs with Bills)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ConcordeChops, Aug 2, 2020.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I would, based purely because of the premium at the position. Elite tackles are treasures in this league because of rushers getting bigger, faster and stronger. To have the luxury of not needing to bring in extra blockers is huge.

You can always get vertical talent in free agency and later int he draft.

Chase is a special WR no doubt--he's probably in the top 3 for me for our options next year. Sewell, Patrick Surtain Jr. and Chase

Again, all considering Darnold works out and we don't need a QB. That would be a killer.

2. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I think you need a guy like Fant around either way--I see him as a better version of Wayne Hunter. He's a really good swing tackle. Injuries happen way too often on the line to not have a really decent back up. We saw that last year. Having Sewell, Becton and Fant would be absolutely appropriate--then by the time Fant contract expires we can draft a new swing and the two youngins will be developed by then.

RochesterJet likes this.
  3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I don’t think I can update the thread title. Maybe @Brook! will be kind enough to do it.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's not going to happen, and it shouldn't. Becton is going to be a stud LT. He's not moving to RT for anyone.

5. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

I'd be lying if I told you I know a lot about Winters so I'll admit that you may be absolutely right and Winters could be horrible. Playing on the O-Line is a tricky thing though. We have a young left tackle on the Bills named Dion Dawkins who had a great year his rookie season playing next to Richie Incognito at LG. The next year he played next to a terrible LG and had a bad year. Last year Dawkins played next to Quinton Spain and Dawkins rebounded and had a really solid year.

Because each guard is so dependent on the man to his left and right doing the right thing at the right time, there is a possibility that Winters will play better bookended by better lineman than he got to play with on the Jets O-Line. Time will tell.

Thanks for the civil post Broadway

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Done

ConcordeChops likes this.
  7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

dead to me

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

My thought was edoga would take that role

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

In a nice bit of irony the Bills cut Spencer Long to make room for Winters.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the Bills GM was on the radio yesterday saying it was not a done deal with Winters and that the media is jumping the gun. FWIW. Although its possible he has to say that given the delays related to in person signings these days