Brian Winters cut (Signs with Bills)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ConcordeChops, Aug 2, 2020.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Only Mike MacIdiot would have given Winters that huge extension.

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Get off the fence man and tell us what you really think?

:D

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, current management should not have to account for the failures of their predecessors, but they should address major, glaring holes on the team/roster, especially those that have been there for almost 20 years, and when those positions are among the most important on any football team. What Mac or Idzik did or didn't do, or how they failed is immaterial in terms of Douglas. The holes on the team are what matters, and the Jets will never win without an edge rusher. Douglas can't be content to sit on his hands for 5-10 years waiting/hoping for the perfect edge rusher to fall to him. He has to aggressively address the glaring need. Hopefully, one will fall to us in next year's draft, but if it doesn't look like one will, then Douglas needs to aggressively target an edge rusher and either trade up or trade down where he can get an edge rusher he likes at good value. I would go further and say that if neither Basham, Zuniga, or Huff show much this season (assuming we have a season), then Douglas needs to primarily target an edge rusher in FA if one is available, especially if he doesn't plan on re-signing Jenkins, and then target one in the draft. We have 10 draft picks next year. IMO if there are top-quality edge rushing prospects and top-quality WR prospects in the draft, the draft will be incomplete or maybe even a failure if he doesn't leave the draft with one of each. I'm usually not one in favor of trading up at all, but in order to get both in next year's draft, I wouldn't care if he had to use 5 or 6 of the 10 draft picks to to trade up and get those two positions significantly addressed. Hopefully, that doesn't have to happen, but if it does, so be it.

tomdeb likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Actually we have 11 draft picks, but that’s nit picking. I would say with 11 draft picks, including 5 in rounds 1-3, prioritizing Edge in Free Agency is not necessary. This allows the Jets to target an Edge instead of simply waiting for one. I’m not saying ignore Edge in FA, but I wouldn’t want to go after a top tier player, more like middle tier plus high draft pick. If the Jets draft high enough I would be interested in Gregory Rousseau, and combo him with Zuniga and a middle tier vet.

chandler, IIMeanDeanII and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

The negative with that approach is that if they sign a middle tier edge rusher, then Douglas can't trade up or a topflight edge rusher isn't available at one of the Jets' 1st round picks or 2nd round pick, then they'll be in the same boat they're in now, and it gets kicked yet another year down the road. They need two quality edge rushers to get ideal pressure and for protection in case of injury. I'd rather they sign a top tier and draft a topflight edge, then they're pretty much guaranteed (barring complete disaster) that they will have a good pass rush. The rookie would be cheap for 5 years, and by the time he needs a big contract, the veteran FA's contract would be up.

6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The thing is I would agree with this premise for many other positions, just not Edge.

Elite Edges are now earning $25+ million per year. Any top tier Edge player available in Free Agency will not be in the elite category like Mack, Bosa, Miller, or Garrett, but the nature of Free Agency pushes up their annual price close to those players. So where you might overpay for a FA Safety you only surrender a million or two of unnecessary cap space. With an Edge, FA overpay means you are surrendering even $10 million in unnecessary cap.

7. NCJetsfan

I understand, and know you're right about the cap costs. I think it basically comes down to if one has the cap space, and if so, is one willing to use it, or risk having to wait 1-2 years or more to draft an Edge. The thing is, as the team gets better and wins more games, it will get harder and harder to trade up to draft an elite edge prospect, and it will cost a lot more in terms of draft capital. So it's name your poison.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Winters to the Bills. Great news for us.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

I was afraid of this. Luckily, its just depth as Feliciano tore his pec and they wanted someone with experience in the backup mix while deciding if Ford is going outside and who (out of a few capable candidates plus Winters) fills the hole. 1 yr deal for cheap - meh. He wont be in the building for 5 days as he needs to quarantine the gang green off;)

11. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

Roster depth will be more important than ever this season for teams that are looking to make a playoff run. This is another solid move by the Bills to add O-Line depth. Cutting Winters was a good move by Douglas to free up cap space for next year. I think Douglas and reasonable Jets fans know that the Jets are a long shot to make the playoffs this season. Douglas is marshalling cap space and draft picks to build a real foundation for the future. Bring in a new head coach next year and have the resources to put together a winning program.

Ultimately this was a good move for both teams.

Billsfan1212 likes this.
  12. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

Looking to the future, our depth on the Oline:
    C- McGovern + Harrison(who can play Guard)
    G- Lewis +Van Roten + C. Clark, perhaps J. Andrews
    T- Becton + Fant + Hilbers(highest paid UDFA, so GM must covet him), perhaps McDermott

The guy not listed above is Edoga. He struggled his rookie season, but they won't get rid of him. I THINK he was serviceable in the run game, just struggled with rush ends(young enough to improve too). Question is, he's short 6'3... move him to Guard if Hilbers/McDermott are serviceable???
    Thoughts????

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I promise you I’m not saying this because he’s a Bill now... Winters is not a good player. He’s been bad for years and that’s when he’s healthy, which he hasn’t been.

14. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Smart move and not tp be critical of those that want an edge rusher but I would rather see what the young guys do now... if they do not perform you can always make a trade later... but this team as presently constituted coupled with the schedule... is not a PO contender. Lets see how things play out - sometimes its better to be prudent and be patient.

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

went to the bills already

Brian Winters didn't have to wait long to learn he'd be staying in the AFC East, Nick Shook of NFL.com reports.

Winters has agreed to terms with the Buffalo Bills, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

A third-round pick out of Kent State in 2013, Winters was a mainstay on New York's offensive line for the majority of the last decade. The guard appeared in double-digit games in five of seven seasons with the Jets before his surprise release Sunday.

16. GasedAndConfused

edoga is more suited at OT. he's built more like beachum. he's thinner and more athletic but not strong. he wasn't good against bull rushes and he needs to fix his footwork for speed rushers but he could be a solid OT. I don't think he's suited for guard. clark was a OT in college but has strength and lacks the athletic ability so we will convert him to a OG. I don't think hilbers sticks. probably on the PS for now. I could see mcdermott making the roster though.

Early 80's likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

Could you update the title? he signed with buffalo already

18. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

If he was there when we pick, Penei Sewell. Best OT prospect since Joe Thomas. Sewell at LT and Becton at RT would really allow us to open up the offense--grab the best WR available with the other pick.

Remember, the two years we went to the AFC Championship was thanks to our Oline. No one ever lost games because they invested too much in their Oline.

There is no Garret, Clowney or Chase Young next years--good drafting means not forcing the need when it's not there. Luckily we have needs everywhere, so we can go BPA. I really hope Sam develops this year so getting a QB isn't a question.

Noam likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

I'd be down for that. we are paying fant a lot and who knows how he plays. securing the outside of the o-line for the next 5 years cheap is never a bad idea. and we have extra picks. we do need help at edge CB and WR though. I'd like to invest more in WR and o-line to build aorund sam. it's an offensive league these days.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Would you take Sewell over Chase from LSU?

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.