Brett Favre was a mistake...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Sep 22, 2008.

1. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

first of all, fuck you...:finssuck:

Now, that aside. Great post. I completely agree with everything youve said. I loved pennington and he was a great leader, smart, team player, everything you said. But lets be real right now, Favre has consistantly proven to be a better QB, and 3 weeks doesnt change that.

2. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Yup! I agree with EVERYTHING you just said!

This guy has some great points.

Me? I AM enjoying watching the Jets play behind a REAL QB!

Win or lose, it's more exciting than watching Old Noodle Arm toss 5-yard softballs and put together long drives down the field that take ten minutes off the clock and end in a field goal.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

So, you were hoping Chad would have given way to Clemens or Ratliff even if Favre had never come to the Jets? Because delayed development of a good Qb had been the hallmark of Chad's presence, him not being one.

4. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I would have rather had Clemens or Ratliff as well. Don't get me wrong Farve will give us great highlights and some memories along the way but they will not be in the Superbowl. Our team made panic decisions because of the Giants winning the Sb and not long term football ones. We made the choice to try and get to the playofss instead of building a team from the bottom that is Sb caliber year in and out. With that said I will not complain about Farve but I would have rather we not delay Clemens or Ratliff or at least find out if we should join the Tim Tebow sweepstakes this year. If nothing less we have a punchers chance with Farve at Qb no matter who we play.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Winny so far no PSLs have gone up for sale to my knowledge. I have to think Woody is about to go to Plan B concerning the sale of them after the debacle on Monday nite. Even corporations want some ROI & if Woody is asking them to pop over 10Gs per seat + 1G per seat for admission they want some thing back for it other then the garbage they have seen up to now. I'm sure some of those buyers are now saying to themselves maybe giving away hit Broadway tix is better then buying into the SOJs

6. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Signing a bunch of 30-something free agents to big short term cap-busting contracts, and then benching your $12m, 2007 MVP-runner up, 2008 99 passer-rating FA pickup QB for no apparent good reason except apparently some feeling as we sit here 1-2, with two losses against favored teams & before the offense has had enough time to gel, some "felling" like "we are probably not good enough to win the superbowl this year, so let's give up even trying to win any more so that maybe we have the experience to win in two years" -- to do this in a year where the rival who has won our division for 6 years running, by a country mile, actually looks BEATABLE ... that is just ... bizarre.

I'm curious, do you in your personal life make such sudden & abrupt changes? Did you go to school to ge an engineering degree and then decide to be an artist? Did you buy a plane ticket for your next business trip, but then when you saw the flight was delayed, did you rent a car at the airport and drive instead, tossing your ticket in the trash?

Just askin'

7. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

p.s. anyway if you REALLY have already thrown in the towel on this year and only care about two years from now and think getting Raitliff in a good place for then is the only thing left to care about any more for the 2008 Jets then ... even then your idea is still probably bad. I don't know if you live in a "Jets Cocoon" or something FOURTHANDLONG, but what people are talking about in the rest of the league regarding QB development is how players like Rodgers and Romo (and before them Brady, Hasselbeck, etc) seem to have greatly benefited from having some time on the bench and in practice to pick up things. With regards to Rodgers the comparisons to Alex Smith are particularly striking, and particularly relevant simce their stories have been closely intertwined since draft day 2005.

Like I said I don't know if you pay much attention to the experience of other teams, or just focus on the Jets -- or this post of yours FOURTHANDLONG is a serious proposal and not just some random thing you're tossing off here out of frustration, without much consideration for if it REALLY makes any sense -- but if you really want to go down that road with Raitliff, it seems like you should at least pay attention to how other teams have succeeded or failed with their future QB development strategy.

#387 puddnhead, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  8. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

There's that word "definitely" again. I don't know how you have such certainty, which a low res video on youtube. I actually can't see it myself either. But maybe because you were so focused on watching it at slow motion, where there is no audio, you did not hear the announcers say "the ball was tipped." Presumably they weren't watching the video at youtube resolution in the ESPN Sportscenter booth.
    OK, first off in your original post thtat I called you on, you say that no one was within five yards of Favre,and I said you were wrong. Well, don't look now, but you (unintentionally?) just conceded you were wrong.

Second off, you act like it takes an NFL starting linebacker, completely unblocked & running at full speed, hours and hours to go three yards or something. What I said and you are arguing against -- exactly what I said -- was that Favre was a half second from being leveled. Go back and read my EXACT WORDS. So you think it was gonna take that LB longer than a half second to go three yards? Let me see, a half second for three yards, that's a 40 yard dash in 6.65 seconds. Please tell me, what NFL linebacker -- heck, what NFL player at ANY position, except maybe some of the biggest tackles and the oldest kickers -- cannot do a 40 in 6.65??? My grandma can probably run a 40 in 6.65! And she's not even alive any more! ;)

This has really turned into the silly season on this board, all sorts of ridiculous statements are being posted. It would almost be more constructive if we started talking about lipstick on pigs or something.

#388 puddnhead, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Dead old women are deceptively fast. I've been caught out several times myself...

10. Bob_Nelson

Bob_Nelson New Member

I just want to address this issue, as a Packer fan and Favre/secondary Jet fan.

First thing I would point out is that putting a young guy like Ratliff in the starting lineup can be disasterous. Just look at Aaron Rodgers. In his first year, you could tell that the guy had talent, but that he wasn't ready to be an NFL QB. If the Packers had started him in 2005 or 2006 they may have blown his confidence and they might be on to their next QB already. Instead he had 3 years to learn how to play football in the NFL, with NO pressure to actually perform. Thats the key, he had time to learn with no pressure. IMO, that is invaluable.

IMO, the best thing for the Jets is to stick with Favre for the rest of this year, hope he comes back for 2009 to make a real run, and then in 2010 go to Ratliff. Ratliff will have had 2 years to learn with no pressure, and he will be as ready as he will ever be.

So in essence, the Jets right now are in the same boat as the 2006 Packers. Hopefully 2009 for the Jets can turn out to be as successful (or more so) as 2007 was for the Packers.

Now, my question, do you guys have the patience for this?

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

:rofl: Jets fans, patience?

bwahahahahah

12. Bob_Nelson

Bob_Nelson New Member

I just figured I'd ask...

13. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Ratliff is already a year or maybe even two years into the process, he's not a rookie now. I'm still glad we have Favre because I don't believe in rebuilding programs in today's NFL, especially when we spent the money we did on veterans this off-season before getting Favre. I'd have been fine with Pennington, because he clearly would have beaten out Clemens, but now we have Favre so let's roll. Either way we have no excuses to not be in the hunt at the end.

14. Tight

Tight Active Member

first off let me just say that unlike all these other cockstraws I realize how full of shit I actually am. I already know that if favre comes out and plays well these next few weeks ill be on his side again. that being said how fucking silly is this teams aura we let go of chad and he's throwing 20 yard passes and beating the pats.. wait wtf ?!

and yes ratliff is the answer. all that time on the ps is gon make him a star on some vh1 reality show. outta here wit da dumb shit

15. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Well, I guess that we'll have to just disagree that a year on the practice squad not ever suiting up for a game is to be considered equivalent to a year of NFL experience (let alone worth twice as much, to count as two years)

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Some fans think doing well in a few pre-season games tells you plenty, but of course Clemens looked better than Chad in last year's pre-season. I don't think too many were in favor of changing out Chad then. It took him taking the team down the toilet to do that, and even then some didn't want Chad out.

I'd love it if Ratliff turns out to be a great player, but there's not much to base that he is on.

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Revisionist history... Chad didn't take the team down the toilet all by himself. If anyone deserves significant blame for that it would be the offensive line. Clemens couldn't play any better behind that line than Chad could. I would put a month's worth of paychecks down on it that Brady couldn't have played much better behind that line.

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm not saying it's equivalent, but it's also not the same as throwing a rookie in there. According to the coaches he's made tremendous progress in the offense over the year or whatever he's been here, and that was very apparent in camp and when he got in the preseason games. Having him sit behind Favre for this year and maybe next is a good thing, no doubt. I don't think anyone rational is calling for him to start over Favre.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Talk about revisionist history. You act like Brady has always had a wall of steel in front of him throughout the years. I hate defending the guy, but I have rooted against the Patriots in non-Jets games and Jets games alike and if there is one constant it's that the guy is stoic under pressure, much unlike Chad.

I've seen Brady drive all the way down the field throwing with defenders in his face right before his, during hits, on the run in ridiculous pressure situations. And every time he would just bounce right back up, no matter how hard he was hit.

Comparing him to Chad in this fashion is a bad idea. Brady would have done much better in that kind of situation, because he already has.

20. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

At the end of the day the team made the decision to go for the gusto with Farve. In the event that he does not deliver in the next year or two we will be ushering in a whole new regime to start over again. The question is will we put band aids over a mediocre team or rebuild. We have tried the band aids for 40 years with the same result. It's time to fix this mess from the bottom up if the latest quick fix does not work.