BREAKING: #Patriots and trading WR Demaryius Thomas to the #Jets for a 2021 6th round pick (ESPN)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Sep 10, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Feel like an ass today after learning of Enunwa's season-ending (and quite likely career-ending injury)? If not, you should. Nothing like making a knee-jerk reaction rant only to learn later that you didn't have all the information. Did it ever occur to you that they are professionals, know more about the game than you could ever hope to know, and that they have information that we aren't privy to?

PabloJa likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great point! :D

3. NCJetsfan

I hope not! Anderson has been a very productive player for the Jets and still has room for growth/improvement. With the Jets having serious needs next season at LT, C, RG, RT, CB, WR, and Edge Rusher, there won't be enough picks to go around. We can't afford to piss off Anderson such that he won't want to re-sign with us. With news of Enunwa's season-ending injury, I hope that was the motivating factor to trade for Thomas.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lol at the time u posted this, the jets knew Q was done but we didn't. the trade makes much more sense now for sure

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

the man who will catch the game winning TD in the Superbowl.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Even if Enunwa hadn't been injured, the Jets only had 3 decent WRs. Their other two WRs are basically STers. All three of those supposedly "decent" WRs had trouble getting open and running the right routes this past Sunday. Thomas knows Gase's system (and had the best two years of his career with Gase as his OC), is a good route runner, has very good hands, brings size to the WR position that the Jets didn't have, and with his experience he can help the young WRs and help Sam develop. Douglas didn't panic. He didn't trade our first, second or third round pick for a younger WR that wasn't really that good. As you yourself stated, it was a cheap price to pay (a 2021 6th round pick, which has little value) for a proven NFL WR who can help this team.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As it turns out, looks like the Q injury was the motivating factor..

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Officially official.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

As a cone for an agility drill.

ConcordeChops likes this.
  10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Thomas has a key characteristic that our receivers, especially Robby, lack: attacking the ball with his hands. Sam really likes to test tight windows but the receiver can’t let the ball come into his body when he does that or else it’ll end in a PD. We saw that multiple times on Sunday.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed watching it. I like the way he attacks the balls and he made some phenomenal catches. I also really liked the fact that there was only one play of his beating a Jets DB. Even if he is just a possession-type receiver now, he still should be a very good addition to the Jets.

Big Cat likes this.
  12. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

I think BOTH!

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Gase stated today that his experience with Thomas will definitely come into play and that he will likely suit up on Monday!

PabloJa and mute like this.
  14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He hasnt had a big year since 2017...Like the move but didnt think it was neccasary.

15. BroadwayAaron

With Q out for the year it wasn't necessary?

94Abraham likes this.
  16. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I hate the trade and see it as a typical SOJ, short-sighted blunder. Losing Q is tough, but trading any pick for a soon to be 32 year old coming off an achilles tear is a bad move, especially when you are a young, developing team. At least signing a veteran FA off the street (Garcon, Dez, Terrence Williams, K Benjamin) etc. doesn't cost you anything. I would've preferred that over giving up a draft pick for multi-week rental.

17. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I don't understand. When Mac was trading back to pick up additional late round picks this board was losing it's mind over how useless those late round picks are.

Now we move a late round pick for a guy who will likely start the rest of the year for us and people are talking about that 6th rounder like we gave up the rights to Tom Brady.

We have our QB and we need to make sure that we stay invested in him. The cost was reasonable. Anyone imo that has an issue with the cost of acquiring DT is really overthinking this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

94Abraham, PabloJa, NCJetsfan and 4 others like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Gase has history with DT from his time with the broncos

except watch the pats use that pick 2 years from now to take the next tom brady in the 6th round. but jokes aside i agree with you. a 6th round pick 2 years from now isn't anything big to give up by any means and if it helps us and sam this year why not?

19. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

The Jets have been sending draft picks to acquire washed up "names" for decades trying to improve upon a consistently mediocre, or low quality product better. It appeases the fan base in the short term, but does absolutely nothing for our team's development. Of course, it helps dull the pain knowing that our drafting history is so miserable too. Go Jets.

20. BroadwayAaron

Any other examples besides this one of the Jets trading a 6th round pick for a "name"? I don't think anyone thinks we traded for prime DT. We know what he is and he's still very useful. He's a better option than all the FAs you mentioned because he's got a relationship with Gase and knows the system. That helps out Sam a whole lot more than trying to walk a receiver like Terrence Williams through his routes after taking a week to learn them. Thomas gives us the opposite effect... he helps Sam.

Also it's a 6th round pick. Was anyone jumping for joy when we got a 6th in return for Darron Lee?

NYJFOREVER and GasedAndConfused like this.
  21. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Actually it's perfectly logical because late round picks were useless when Mac was the one making them. But Douglas is our GM now, so those picks aren't useless anymore. Unless Douglas is also terrible at drafting, but if that's the case, we're screwed no matter what.