BREAKING: #Patriots and trading WR Demaryius Thomas to the #Jets for a 2021 6th round pick (ESPN)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Sep 10, 2019.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

What makes you think DT would've signed here?

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he would not have seen a wide demand for his services

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You know this based on what? Other than your own opinion.

4. BrowningNagle

based on the fact that he was cut a week earlier and didn't see a wide demand for his services.

this is easy stuff

Ralebird likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

This is incredibly misinformed. The day he got cut it was reported he was signing back with the Pats. He was never not going to be a Pat. They did it for contract and money purposes. Just a little bit of effort was required to find this info.

6. BrowningNagle

yeah, they wanted to pay him $1 million instead of $2 million. and it worked without losing him.

Receivers in high demand, who can pick and choose from a list of teams, don't have that happen to them

7. BroadwayAaron

I can’t understand why people are pretending like anyone here is saying he’s a top-flight receiver that would be a number one on any team and had a massive list of suitors. Not a single person has said that or implied that. We traded a future sixth round pick for the guy. I just said this in another post but when you’re trading an asset with as little value as that, what you’re getting back is probably someone you’re taking a chance on. Just like if you drafted someone in the six round of the draft.

And there’s plenty of other people who have said it, but the fact that he is familiar with the play book, a veteran, familiar with the coach and someone that fills a need on top of helping our young quarterback develop… the risk was an absolute no brainer because there’s barely risk at all.

dawinner127 likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

For what it's worth, my boss who is a diehard Pats fan (who loved Berrios) thinks DT has gas in the tank and he said all reports were that he looked good when he finally got back into the full swing of things. He doesn't like the trade for the Pats considering a 6th is tits on a bull, AB might be suspended, Gordon is always at risk of literally disappearing and Edelman gets banged up easily.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Yeah that's the 1 thing I don't like about these type of analysis is it doesn't separate the players by talent.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's time we get over the Belicheat/Patriots thing. They shouldn't have to collapse in order for us to succeed. We ought to be able to beat them on a level playing field. That will be when this team has arrived as a true contender, not a pretender.

It's not a matter of not liking a 6th round pick, but rather helping Sam, the offense and trying to establish a winning culture here. I was totally against trading for Clowney and going all in on this season. I don't believe that we should be impatient with the rebuild and try to rush things. That's not what the trade for Thomas was, however. If we can cheaply add a player that can help Sam and our offense develop, and help establish a winning culture, then I'm all for it. Particularly since we just lost Enunwa, we needed another quality WR. We didn't need another WR who is basically a STer or a WR who is near 30 and never started or done anything in his NFL career. That wouldn't help Sam, the offense or help the team learn how to win.

It's about not giving up, being complacent, and accepting defeat like previous regimes/CSs have done. It's clawing, fighting, doing about anything possible (even trading with our arch rival) to succeed, to overcome challenges/obstacles, and about helping the team move forward. I love the aggressiveness, not being afraid of NE, and open-mindedness to help the team. IMO it shows that Douglas IS the right man to lead this team forward.

11. BroadwayAaron

Now I just feel bad for Thomas. Thought he was signing with the defending champions and odds on favorite to repeat, now he’s playing for a team that was mediocre at best before their quarterback went down.

jets_fan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

It would also be symbolism if Douglas and Gase just threw up their hands, signed whatever street schlub FA WR, thought the team was snake bit and doomed, and gave up on the season like previous FOs and HCs have done.

I understand your desire to stockpile picks, as I know how important you think the draft is, and I agree with that. I'm certain that Douglas is thinking long term. I just think in this instance, Douglas' hands are tied. Mac left him with a shit roster. Even though the Johnsons supposedly gave no mandate for the team to win this season, Douglas and Gase have pride. They don't want to continue the losing ways. They want to establish a winning culture. IMO that's just as important to the long-term view as having another 6th round pick.

Sure, other teams may have had a WR they were willing to deal for a 6th round pick, but would that WR be worth a crap? Would he be able to step in and play immediately and contribute anything? Would he know Gase's system and be someone who could really help Sam, the other WRs, the offense and team? What if Thomas helps the Jets beat the Patriots in the 2nd game, and builds confidence in our players, and sends a message to NE that the Jets are going to be a team to be reckoned with? Would that not be important?

13. NCJetsfan

No, it isn't. He had an agreement in place with NE that he would be re-signed. Why should he even entertain any other offers? He knew he'd be returning to catching passes from Brady and have an excellent chance of winning a SB this season.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Now that Sam is on the shelf, I hate this trade.

15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If Belichick was willing to trade him to the Jets he must be as done as that stinkin' old JAG Matt Forte was when we got him.

Make him earn his playing time. Don't just plant a ineffective player at or near the top of the depth chart just because of his past.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He might get to the top of the depth chart just because of the present talent.

17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

We're still going to have DT and Sam for weeks 9-17. Not sure why that would change your opinion on it

FJF likes this.
  18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I can't see why anybody would hate this trade..what superstar were we planning on drafting with a sixth round pick 2 years from now that would have been any better? If he plays 4 decent weeks in the next two years it was worth it.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Need not worry as ESPN reports he has a hammy & is out for the Brown game :mad:

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Unless U are a MD and know how Sam will recover you should not be posting that he will return in week 9 further U have not the foggiest idea how his body is going to react to this disease & so U cannot say if Sam will even be available in week 9 :mad: