BREAKING: #Patriots and trading WR Demaryius Thomas to the #Jets for a 2021 6th round pick (ESPN)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The message is the Jets are open for business with any team in the NFL that has players they don't want that our GM thinks can improve our team.

NCJetsfan and NYJFOREVER like this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

So let's not even make an attempt to get a veteran receiver and trot out no names again.

3. Its the symbolism of it.

Obviously the patriots want to avoid a fall off after Brady.What do you think their plan is? Stockpile as many picks as possible..not just to select players but as trading ammo.

Obviously the jets are at least 2 years away from being anything but a doormat.They should be thinking LONG TERM. Stockpiling picks & assets.Thats the keyword..ASSETS.Forget where the pick is.It could still be used in a trade for a player OR to move up a round in a subsequent draftThats how the pats view it.

Secondly,the goal is always to win the division.You cant pretend that the patriots arent target #1 in accomplishing that feat.

So in one move weve managed to give our competition thats dominated the division for close to 20 years ammo,shorted our own supply in the name of a short term move in a LONG TERM season!!!

I get the young QB factor..but does that outweigh the whats written above? We’re already giving a draft pick.Im sure there were other teams w a vet WR willing to deal for a future 6

BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. Open for business on dumb short term moves that do nothing to get us to our goal

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The young QB outweighs everything. I doubt there were other teams looking to trade a veteran WR who thrived under our HC.

Another thing to consider, if AB actually gets suspended the Pats may well regret this move.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yes , the young qb is priority 1,2,3 and 4. Nothing is more important. Every other team gets that. It’s time we do all we can to get that position right. We won’t challenge for the division until we do

7. I understand & respect your opinion.But i think we’re gonna regret this move.I dont think he can stay healthy..and since its a short term move there is no consolation.

You guys are acting like this guy is a safe slam dunk move.This a 32 year old going on his 4th team in the last 3 years w a recent injury history.Anything beyond soft tissue his career is gone. This is a risky move before considering all the optics.

Maybe the pick is a fart in the wind, but you dont do business w the team youre trying to chase who seems invincible.Forget the bad blood

8. NYJFOREVER

If we're looking back at this move three years or four years down the road and saying "Damn that 6th round pick we traded to the Pats really f'd us", then we have MUCH bigger issues than that 6th round pick

PabloJa and FJF like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What is there to regret? It’s pretty well documented in this thread that sixth rounders rarely ever turned out to be anything short of depth or training camp fodder. If the downside is missing out on a back up linebacker but the upside is getting a receiver that can help your franchise quarterback grow, that means the upside far outweighs the risk to me.

Also I don’t think the goal should be “compete with the patriots“. The goal should be to develop a team the smart and right way so that eventually you can compete with the patriots. As long as Thomas can stay healthy, this trade helps accomplish that goal.

FJF and NYJFOREVER like this.
  10. Isolated?maybe not.But from a wider lense looking at all the other bad short term moves weve made..it fits right in.

And if the pats are still doing their thing im sure making a bad trade w them wont feel warm n fuzzy.And god forbid ever resourceful bill actually DOES use the pick for another franchise altering player.

11. Scroll up.The 6th round pick is ammo.Assets.Not just walking up to a podium & selecting 1 guy. Patriots continue to accrue ammo as a contingency to Brady. Weve now contributed to that.

The goal is the division.then the conference.Not the Patriots.In either case the patriots are prime opposition.

Tell me where im wrong

12. BroadwayAaron

You’re not wrong. It’s a difference of opinion. My opinion is that a sixth round pick rarely turns into anything useful so I am more than happy to trade it for a receiver that has familiarity with the offense, the head coach and can make our developing 22-year-old franchise quarterback‘s life a lot easier. I don’t think you can turn down a trade because you are worried that the asset you are trading, which is very low value, could be packaged and traded for something else.

Ralebird, NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

You're right. The goal is the division -> Conference -> Superbowl. Fine. The goal before ALL OF THAT is developing the QB. A lot of people understand what exactly DT is and will hopefully bring. A solid WR presence than can help us complete the first part of the ultimate goal.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  14. Id feel better about it if there was less risk associated w DT.I just dont see him staying healthy.He can still play.And thats what scares me!Because despite that fact hes on his 4th team in 3 years time.That doesnt speak well to his health at this stage. Dont like pissing away assets much less to the road block to us winning a division.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I get your hate for the Pats and I want our team to dethrone them from the top of the division as much as you do. But, our WR depth is thin, especially with Enunwa out for the year. We need to give Darnold some weapons at the skill positions. A declining Thomas might be our best WR, sadly. And how often does a 6th round pick become anything more than a ST player?

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  16. I dont think DT can stay healthy. Id be more accepting of the move if there was significantly less risk w him.

He goes down in 3 weeks while we’re staring at 0-5 n we start looking ahead to the future that trade is gonna look alittle foolish.

He stays healthy for 14 games & consistently helps Sam out? Ill eat my words. 4th team in 3 years when you can still ball out is not good sign

17. NYJFOREVER

Again, I don't think so. This trade was done with the future in mind. The Jets need to provide Sam with every possible weapon they can and that's what this DT trade is. If it doesn't work out then it is what it is, we took a shot to provide Sam with a weapon for his development. There is no sense in worrying about other teams and what they do with their picks, we gotta develop Sam.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree Kurt, nicely said. Never make a trade with that team, never help them

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

I don’t think “4th team in 3 years” can really be held totally against him. The Pats only ditched him because they landed a top 3 receiver in the league while already having two guys that would be 1’s on most teams. His first team traded him because they were about to head into a rebuild and he was an upcoming free agent that they were without a doubt going to lose. Then he left the second team which he may never have even wanted to play for to go play for the defending world champions.

It’s not like he was some derelict that dragged ass all around the field. But with all of that being said, there’s a reason we traded a future sixth round pick for him. Again, sixth round picks very rarely turn out to be anything of value so you have to assume that what you are getting back is someone you are taking a chance on. The fact that he is a veteran that knows the playbook and can help our quarterback makes this a no brainer “risk“ to take.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he would've been cut anyway by New England. Douglas could've signed him and saved the draft pick

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.