BREAKING NEWS: Attacks in Paris, over 120 dead

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by mute, Nov 13, 2015.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    _

2. JStokes

http://amsterdamshallowman.com/2014/12/7-things-need-know-dating-dutch-women.html

7 Things You Need to Know about Dating Dutch Women

_

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I've actually met stalks of corn that sound smarter than him

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

@Brooklyn

The fall of powerful nations usually coincides with the change of core values.

The core values of this country are all written down in the Constitution. It is a document far beyond its time, so unlike any other in history. It is the greatest document ever written for governing free people. Historians have even gone so far as to call the founding fathers enlightened geniuses touched by divine intervention.

Liberals don't respect the Constitution. They would replace it if they could because their values are far different.

Obama by the way is the first president I can remember to repeatedly diss it, examples include referring to it as an outdated rigid government plan and blaming his failures on the founding fathers laying down a plan that makes change difficult (aka restrictions on executive powers). Back to this in a moment.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

I guarantee I could post that quote here and it would get argument from every liberal. That was said by John Adams, one of the founding fathers and 2nd President.

As a people, we're not either of those things anymore. We're probably the farthest thing from it. So maybe this is the problem of how things got to where they are.

Where we are is our government being so backwards it's disgusting. It's pretty much the opposite of how it was intended. I didn't realize this until I was an adult and actually read the Constitution. The Constitution doesn't mean much of anything anymore because the checks and balances system got all screwed up in the Civil War. Now the Federal government does whatever it wants without recourse and we have Supreme Court justices who twist interpretation to make any decision they want.

Why? Because people can't live with something that's already perfect. They need to tinker with shit, they need CHANGE. sound familiar? Back in the day, congressman had real jobs, they were businessmen, soldiers, woodsmen, whatever. They would meet a few times per year and make decisions. Nowadays congressmen are congressmen, that's their job. They sit in Washington all year and think of things to tinker with. The policies in this country have been tinkered with so much that it's not even close to the original plan anymore.

Republicans do corrupt and shitty things all the time. I'm not defending the party of politicians, they can go screw themselves. But at the very least, the base ideals of what it should mean to be Republican are in line with what this country was founded on. Liberalism is not and things have really fallen off the cliff since the emergence of the progressive movement. I'll give you a basic but important example; a core liberal theme is big powerful federal government and federal programs for everything. However, the Constitution is meant for the Federal government to be as small as possible and for the states to for the most part take care of themselves, the basic purpose of the fed is to unite and protect the states. In fact the predecessor to the Constitution, the articles of confederation, was a failure because it was too close to anarchy. The founders went back to the drawing board and gave the fed a little more control to move the notch a little bit away from anarchy. They stopped there - that's where the meter was set. Now we've disregarded that ideological set point and have moved the notches a countless times over that we are on the opposite side of the spectrum. Just for fun here's the most simple example; another core liberal theme is heavy taxation and wealth distribution - We started the Revolutionary war over a simple tea tax! So no, the koombayah stuff will never work. Liberalism is the enemy of The Constitution, it is a cancer that will destroy the greatness and uniqueness of America.

#584 74, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Brook! and Kerley Shuffle like this.
  5. JStokes

Word.

_

6. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Conservatives want to completely ignore the first amendment and create a database of Muslims and only allow Christian refugees in the country...

Yet the Constitution also declared all men free, and kept blacks enslaved...

Thomas Jefferson put out his Notes on the State of Virginia determining the true "nature" of blacks as docile and close to that of animals.

The founding fathers were far from enlightened lol but they had no trouble passing it off as such

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Haha. See what I mean fellas?

BleedGreen89 likes this.
  8. nyjetsmets89

So Ted Cruz and Donald Trump respect the Constitution with their proposals? Enough with the obsession with liberals lol

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

did you even read my post. cuz I said republican politicians can go screw themselves. Lol. I sure can tell that like most people you have not read the constitution cuz you can't even grasp what I was getting at. You can have the last word here, my post was to Brooklyn not you.

10. nyjetsmets89

Core values tend to alter in 200 years. Like the value of science over religion? But since the Constitution is holy and arguably written by those that were graced by divine intervention, we must not alter those values. Please

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Great. Another tea party nitwit who woke up five years ago and became a constitutional scholar.

The Constitution is just like any other species of law written by men as the product of intense negotiation amongst strongly competing interests. It does some things well, some not so much, some downright sloppy ham-handed compromises. The Electoral College is divinely inspired? Yeah, sure. Lets not even get into the fact that the divinity apparently found the constitution so inadequate before the ink was dry that it required ten fucking amendments.

The shitty system of government we have now is directly the result of the structural weaknesses the Constitution created. Some will argue that was what a significant number of the founders actually intended. Fact is, the world has evolved into a place where our Constitution doesn't do a very good job of providing us with an effective means of governing ourselves. Now that means that you either recognize that the document itself is flawed, or you adopt a religious reverence for it and just accept that everything is going to suck until you get to the afterlife. Fuck that. A spade is a spade.

Br4d and nyjetsmets89 like this.
  12. nyjetsmets89

He's gonna come back and say it was "perfect" because of its ability to be amended. The thing was far from perfect. But this original plan bullshit is straight garbage. We've only been around 200 years. Get back to me when we last as long as Rome did

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

They actually did value science over religion. The Constitution was shaped by scientific principles and is littered with scientific metaphors. It wasn't called The Age of Reason for nothing.

I didn't say it was holy or divine intervention. if you look at world history and then read it you'd see how insanely radical it was from anything before it. that's why it garners such high praise like that.

I know I said I let you have the last word, ahh my bad, I'm not trying to argue, just read about the founders and science and the constitution and their views on religion. It's really interesting.

And core values shouldn't change, values are not affected by time. these are the core values basically. you'll notice some have been changed already.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

See what I mean fellas, the liberal thought is to hate the Constitution. The liberal thought is poison.

15. nyjetsmets89

[​IMG]

16. nyjetsmets89

Do you realize how much the founders conjure God in relation to us separating from Britain? Not only that, but manifest destiny as well. You know, God, the guy that doesn't exist?

17. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Please go move to North Korea

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yea, you got nothing. Get back to me when you decide which of those outdated values we should get rid of next.

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

A Defence of the Constitutions of the United States of America

By John Adams

Preface

It was the general opinion of ancient nations, that the divinity alone was adequate to the important office of giving laws to men. The Greeks entertained this prejudice throughout all their dispersions; the Romans cultivated the same popular delusion; and modern nations, in the consecrations of kings, and in several superstitious chimeras of divine rights in princes and nobles, are nearly unanimous in preserving remnants of it: even the venerable magistrates of Amersfort devoutly believe themselves God's vicegerents; Is it that obedience to the laws can be obtained from mankind in no other manner? — Is the jealousy of power, and the envy of superiority, so strong in all men, that no considerations of public or private utility are sufficient to engage their submission to rules for their own happiness? Or is the disposition to imposture so prevalent in men of experience, that their private views of ambition and avarice can be accomplished only by artifice? — … There is nothing in which mankind have been more unanimous; yet nothing can be inferred from it more than this, that the multitude have always been credulous, and the few artful. The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature: and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had any interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the inspiration of heaven, any more than those at work upon ships or houses, or labouring in merchandize or agriculture: it will for ever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses. As Copley painted Chatham, West, Wolf, and Trumbull, Warren and Montgomery; as Dwight, Barlow, Trumbull, and Humphries composed their verse, and Belknap and Ramzay history; as Godfrey invented his quadrant, and Rittenhouse his planetarium; as Boylston practised inoculation, and Franklin electricity; as Paine exposed the mistakes of Raynal, and Jefferson those of Buffon, so unphilosophically borrowed from the Recherches Philosophiques sur les Américains those despicable dreams of De Paw — neither the people, nor their conventions, committees, or sub-committees, considered legislation in any other light than ordinary arts and sciences, only as of more importance. Called without expectation, and compelled without previous inclination, though undoubtedly at the best period of time both for England and America, to erect suddenly new systems of laws for their future government, they adopted the method of a wise architect, in erecting a new palace for the residence of his sovereign. They determined to consult Vitruvius, Palladio, and all other writers of reputation in the art; to examine the most celebrated buildings, whether they remain entire or in ruins; compare these with the principles of writers; and enquire how far both the theories and models were founded in nature, or created by fancy: and, when this should be done, as far as their circumstances would allow, to adopt the advantages, and reject the inconveniences, of all. Unembarrassed by attachments to noble families, hereditary lines and successions, or any considerations of royal blood, even the pious mystery of holy oil had no more influence than that other of holy water: the people universally were too enlightened to be imposed on by artifice; and their leaders, or more properly followers, were men of too much honour to attempt it. Thirteen governments thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favour of the rights of mankind. The experiment is made, and has completely succeeded: it can no longer be called in question, whether authority in magistrates, and obedience of citizens, can be grounded on reason, morality, and the Christian religion, without the monkery of priests, or the knavery of politicians. As the writer was personally acquainted with most of the gentlemen in each of the states, who had the principal share in the first draughts, the following letters were really written to lay before the gentleman to whom they are addressed, a specimen of that kind of reading and reasoning which produced the American constitutions.

[Adams then goes into great detail examining numerous various ancient and modern governments, eventually showing how the American Constitutions borrowed from the goods examples but rejected the bad ideas.]

#599 74, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Constitution was written to protect the rights of free men and very few other people. As long as you remember that the improvement over the centuries has been immense.

African Americans may be under-represented in the political process due to gerrymandering designed to produce that effect but they're much better off than the original plan, which was to have a slave count as 5/8ths of a person for purposes of representation but only to make his master's vote more powerful.