BREAKING: Jets Trade Jamal Adams to Seattle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Aero, Jul 25, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think the Jets still have one of the best Safety groups in the NFL. Their depth is solid (Matthias Farley, Bennett Jackson, and Anthony Cioffi). Ashtyn Davis is a playmaker and will make an impact this season. They should be better in coverage than with Adams. With both Mosley and Williamson back, they don't need an in the box SS as much. The Jets have a strong and deep DL. It's one of the better, deeper groups in the NFL. There's no way it's below average. A unit does't have to have an impact player to be good, and there's a chance that Q. Williams could develop into that impact player this year. It's well above average as are their ILB and S positions. RB sure isn't above average. Even if Bell bounces back, Gore is old and has little left in the tank. He is here more for leadership and changing the culture. I don't expect a whole lot from Perine, and there's nothing behind him.

2. NCJetsfan

I think the Seahawks knew that they'd never get a deal done for this season. There was just not enough time. I disagree that Adams will hold the leverage. It will be the same. They have him under contract for two more years and can tag him after that. They made no promises about his salary for next year. I'm really starting to think that was BS just to pressure the Jets into trading him.

JetBlue likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So apparently Adams was reaching out to Cowboys players and saying how badly he wanted to be their teammates and that didn't jive well with the Jets locker room. I can't find the link but it was on a Jets account on Instagram and reported in an interview Maurice Jones-Drew had with a reporter on NFL Network. If someone has better news googling skills than I do please share.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

How does Adams have the same leverage as before? That team just traded 2 first round picks for him. He knows his worth with them and he holds all the leverage now. It's very similar to the Tunsil trade where he knew he would get an astronomical contract because a team gave up the farm to get you.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Here's the clip you reference, coming from Ian Rapoport, who's pretty reliable.

If true, that's pretty damning. I don't want to say I've been 100% on Jamal's side throughout this entire situation, but I'm just about always in favor of a player getting their money, and I was getting annoyed that the Jets let this situation deteriorate the way it did. I'm not sure there will be more details coming out on this, but I'm starting to come around, and am sort of just glad he's gone under these circumstances.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

jamal is basically a huge penis at this point. he got tired of losing and wanted to be traded to a winning team so he attacked everyone in the jets made up a bunch of lies and tried to get himself traded. good on JD for holding out until he got a kings ransom.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Starting to look like that.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Thanks man. It was.

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

So, he wanted to get traded to the Cowboys last year. Then throws a fit when he finds out that the GM listened to offers for him? o_O:confused:

RPOZ51 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

As I said, this was much deeper than a contract issue. There was a huge rift between Adams and the locker room. That is increasingly becoming more apparent.

I am glad he is gone from our locker room. That is for sure

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't shock me if it started when he said he's a winner and basically called the rest of the locker room losers, but not him, because he's a winner.

12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

time will tell of course, but I am hoping that JD continues to develop the team with professionals

i'd like to think that it shouldn't be super hard to detect the divas during interviews (whether draft prospects or FAs). Divas end up being real risky precisely for reasons like this

it will also be incumbent that the team develop a reputation that it will pay and take care of its players, and that players will want a career here

i see Jamal's departure as a door opening for a very good DE, or a very good WR+more depth either of which will give us more bang for the buck

13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

They may be okay in coverage, maybe even better, but none of these guys can rush the QB like Adams could and that was a unique and critical talent he had. Okay, I get he was unhappy here and wanted out, but what's really disturbing is how many good players were unhappy here and wanted out. You can't win a championship by constantly turning over your best players.

#313 westiedog1, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  14. NCJetsfan

With the boobs the Jets have had as owners, GMs, and HCs, most of us probably would have been unhappy there and wanted to leave too. With Adams, it's hard to know what is the truth. One minute he was complimenting Gase, and the next trashing him. Douglas has done more things right and good for the Jets during his time as GM than has been done by the previous 3 GMs combined. Adams should have had zero problems with Douglas, but trashed him too. Money was the problem, then it wasn't. I think that Adams is just a drama queen and looks for reasons to be unhappy. He never complained about Mac, but had every reason in the world to complain. The bottom line is that he was unhappy and wanted to leave. I don't think that Douglas did anything wrong. Other teams have had players get disgruntled and want to leave. The Jets aren't alone in that. It just looks worse because we've had so much incompetence surrounding the team and the team hasn't drafted well for much of its history. Hire competent players, draft well, win, and players will be happy and want to be here.

Let's not make it like Adams is the second coming of LT. Opposing teams could have figured a way to block him this season, and he could have been pretty much nullified as a pass rusher.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

If true, this shows what a jackass and hypocrite Adams is. I think he just wants to play for a winning team. He doesn't really want to be a part of building anything or be a real leader. It's all about him. Good riddance. I'm so glad he's not playing for Dallas.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think the Bryce Huff hype is a direct result of green colored glasses. He’s a UDFA rookie. So even if he looks good he won’t be a deterrent from a high investment. I also consider Edge and OLB as the same, which is what I was saying here.

Williamson will likely be released in camp, and even with the guys that we have I want more upside. Same for Guard.

The guys Joe Douglas signed this offseason are not core players, and I don’t think hardly any will be here beyond 2020.

Some of the draft picks from this draft along with a couple of the young players still on their rookie deals will be the core, which will be added to by future drafts.

17. NCJetsfan

The Seahawks have him under contract. If he holds out, he gets fined. The Seahawks made him no promises of a new deal. It doesn't matter what they gave up to get him. I can see where Adams would then think he has the leverage, but he really doesn't. He could pull the same routine there, but if he does, he can forget the rest of his NFL career. No team would touch him at any price. The Seahawks can refuse to extend him or give him a new contract and can tag him, and they can let him walk as a FA. By that point Wilson will probably be ready to retire and so will Carroll. Carroll won't care at that point.

JetBlue likes this.
  18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you’re confusing leverage in regards to the final financials they may agree upon and leverage to have to give him a new contract anytime soon. Those aren’t the same.

The Hawks have him for two cheap years in which they don’t have to pay him and a third year in which they will have to pay him top dollar. That’s more than enough time for the Hawks to decide whether it was a good trade and determine to throw more money at him. They have all the leverage at this point, and if the team doesn’t win or even legitimately challenge for a SB, what leverage will he have to demand a huge payday from me? Pay me or continue to not be a contender? When you’re not a contender that’s when you let high priced guys go and not magnify the existing sunk cost further. Adams has zero contractual leverage right now other than sit out and not get paid, and that’s something the Seahawks knew going into it.

You’re also assuming Tunsil got that contract simply because of the trade value and not because the Texans are desperate to build an OL for Watson. But if the Seahawks decline the next two seasons, will they be desperate to maintain whatever secondary performance the team has over the next two seasons at Adams’ demanded price point at a point where they may be possibly facing a rebuild? Unlikely.

Adams’ potential leverage is tied to the team’s performance over the next two seasons which are complete unknowns.

even if they stink, they know the Cowboys want him and can recoup picks from them, so it’s not as if they are completely without a way to offset the assets they traded and have to pay him to save face. The fact that Houston did so with Tunsil simply doesn’t project to every other team in the league.

19. NCJetsfan

It's hope, not hype. Low-round draft picks and UDFAs come into the NFL and surprised people every year. It could happen. I'm not saying that it's likely to happen (it isn't), but it could happen. I'm just hoping that it will. It would be awesome to have found our edge rusher, regardless of how/where we found him.

McGovern will be here. He is and will be the starting C or OG for the next several years. There's a decent chance that Fant, Lewis and maybe even Van Roten will still be here. They may be backups, but are good and serviceable players. With the Jets needs at WR, CB, Edge, RB, ILB in a year or two, and maybe TE, there isn't going to be enough cap space or draft picks to replace everyone.

20. Darnoldisit

Darnoldisit New Member

He is a talented player but of his 6.5 sacks, 3 came in one game vs Washington and 2 vs the Giants. He was a good tackler but 1.5 sacks in 14 games isn't enough to put up with his big mouth. I'm not against end zone celebrations and trash talking, it is after all a game, but after Adams running his mouth, I really respect players like Barry Sanders that didn't need to show off- just handed the ball to the ref after a td, just walked away with a simple retirement letter. I think of Curtis Martin like that also, elegant and classy. D'brick, Mangold (except for the flip-flops, lol) and so many other players who you love to root for, not like this asshat. The only big mouth I think was worth putting up with was maybe Deon Sanders, and Adams is no where near being in that class.

NCJetsfan and JetBlue like this.