Braylon needs to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets1135, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

We should have had two. Lets not forget about the WIDE OPEN DROP that cost us a TD. Theres the rub with Edwards. He is skilled and often lacks concentration. He has never been the sum of his physical parts for a full season because he's happy being a celebrity and not a great football player. Thats why he and Sherri Rhodes get along so well.

2. Gator

Gator Active Member

Yeah, but you're just focusing on what he can't do. He made up for the drop by scoring a really nice TD. How many other Jets scored TDs in that game? None...and how do you know Edwards isn't going to go on a little run scoring TD's now? Also, he had a pretty good year on Clev with 1289 yards and 16TDs. Can't remember the last Jets receiver to score 16TDs.

3. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

I would have to agree with the people who say we have to keep him. Look, he is frustrating because he has more talent than production. However, he is still better than anybody else we have, and he does draw double teams. The biggest problem we had on offense before the trade was that Stuckey was not drawing any of the doubleteams away from Cotchery AND he was not getting open himself. Edwards, if nothing else, lets Cotchery get open.

IMO, unless we somehow acquire a stud game breaking WR this offseason, we have to resign Braylon, and hope that an offseason working with Sanchez will benefit him.

4. timdastis

timdastis New Member

agreed...regardless of drops and all the frustrating times, anyone capable of scoring 16 TDs in a season (with Derek Anderson at the helm nonetheless) is an incredible talent. He just needs to work on some basic skills and let his natural abilities shine through. I say sign him in to something long term

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

He doesn't catch the ball well enough to be considered in the category of Al Toon. But he has the potential to improve and has the physical skillset to be very good. He also seems like he works hard and I like his blocking as well as the fact he frees up JCo and the ground game. This team is really all about the ground game and anything BE can do to support that is a positive at this point.

When you start talking about next season, you lose me. We can worry about that later on. We still are playing football this season. Lets focus chillun.

6. Gator

Gator Active Member

Well, I did say I though he was going to go on a run scoring TDs this season. Next season is in play because we're discussing whether we want to keep him. We have him already for this season.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

This potential to improve is based on what? Golfers get the gips, Yankee second baseman one day can't throw the ball to first base. Catchers can't throw the ball back to Pitchers, Pitchers lose their control and never make it back and guys lose their focus and can't catch the ball anymore. It happens.

If we don't resign Edwards than this goes down as one of the worst Trades I have ever seen.

8. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

I am under the impression that we dont have to sign him long term.

We can tender him at a 1st and a 3rd. Pay him 2.5 million for next season can we not?

If someone wants to step up to the plate and pay those picks I think we let him walk.

With the lack of depth on this team I think we would be silly not to take the picks. Mind you I cant think of a team that would pay that much for him so we get another season of BE JC DK with Sanchez - and an entire off-season with them working together.

Can anyone clarify this?

9. Gator

Gator Active Member

Again, Edwards scored a phenomenal TD AFTER the drop. He hasn't lost anything. You're making it sound like after the drop he went to the bench and cried the rest of the game. He won the game for us with that play and might have saved the season

10. winstonbiggs

That's not what I'm saying at all. I think Edwards brings a huge demension to this team. He is however going to drop a ton of balls while making big plays. Nolan Ryan used to pitch no hitters and still have roughly a 500 hundred record. Unlike baseball, you need guys who can make big plays to win and you don't have to rely on them all the time. He's an average player who can make huge plays and blow easy ones for you and will do both.

11. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

So was Moss, but he turned out great after he matured and settled down. There is no reason to think that this could not happen with BE. I dont know about you but I would like him to be a Jet when/if it does.

Ill never understand why so many people on these boards are so quick to discard talent. NO TALENT = MEDIOCRITY.

12. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

If your point is that some players don't always improve and that therefore BE has no potential to improve - that is an idiotic argument. It makes no sense and is completely illogical. Some players suck - that doesn't mean all players suck. Duh.

As for BE's potential to improve, i see the following as factors which demonstrate that BE has great potential to not just improve, but to have a great career in the NFL w/the Jets.

1) He is fast, tall and he can go up for the ball. He is a superb athlete. 2) he is only 26. 3) He got stuck in Cleveland out of college 4) He's only had 8 games w/the Jets. 5) He hasn't played with a good QB yet (and Sanchez could become a good QB) 6) He has been an All-Pro w/a crappy QB - he has All-Pro ability and he should reach that plateau again 7) He & Sanchez still need to work on timing and communication. It takes alot more than 8 games to do this, especially with a rookie QB. 8) He works hard and does alot of good things on the field including catching the ball. 9) He has room to improve by working on improved focus and concentration and learning where Sanchez will be hitting him.

In short I see tons of reasons why we should anticipate BE will improve. I would sign him.

13. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Players leading the league in dropped passes-

[​IMG]

14. winstonbiggs

These are exactly the same reasons we traded for Justin McCariens.

15. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

What bothers me about your original post about Edwards is that his 1 TD won us that game. If he catches that punt-pass and crawls into the endzone, the game would've been out of reach deep in the 4th. No nail-biters to worry about it. Sure we won it, but we were at a risk to lose this game. Fortunately, our D stepped up and closed the game out for an offense that missed MANY opportunities and SHOULD'VE been up 2 scores prior to the 4th quarter.

16. Gator

Gator Active Member

That one didn't work out. Should the Jets not try again to get a tall, speedy, physical receiver because that one didn't work out?

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The word is that as he looked up on that play, and he lost the ball in the lights. I am not defending him, but it is not like we play there all the time and I could see "the lights" story as being fair, it terms of benefit of the doubt.

I still think that as time goes on, the Edwards signing will be a good one for the team.

Or putting it another way, I am much more optimistic about Edwards working out and making a significant contribution to the team than I am about Gholston ever doing anything of importance.

#177 GreenHornet, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

WHen did JMac ever have an 80 catch 1300 yd 16 td season before we traded for him? We traded for JMac because he blew right by our CB for an 80 yard TD in the prior season and we thought he could become a competant starting WR if given the chance.

Obviously it didn't work out but there is no comparison between him and Edwards.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

There are four players from Cleveland on that list lmao

20. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I agree we left points on the field, but I am glad we got the W.