Braylon needs to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets1135, Dec 3, 2009.

1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

A fast, double-coverage demanding, pass-dropping type of receiver who has been an all pro and could become an all pro again w/a good young QB like Mark Sanchez developing into something special.

2. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Let me save u the suspense. He wasn't gonna make the Pro-Bowl whether he stayed in Cleveland and he's not making it with us. We'll see if he gets his shit together next year and gives us that Pro-Bowl kind of year we all 'hope' he can.

I'm talking about the logic behind calling Anderson garbage but not Edwards. They both had their best stats the same year. I'm not sure if it was you making the argument, but if people think Edwards has potential to return to his breakout year, the same can be said by Anderson. Yet, Anderson (in the eyes of some/most) is nothing more than a backup to most teams. If you want to say Anderson isn't good at all and any team that wants him is crazy, then the same argument can be said about Edwards.

I'd rather part ways with BE if it meant he'd be getting paid anywhere near 10M per year. Yes. I'd let him walk as long as we get compensated for it. I can live with a rookie's potential as long as he's as tall and fast (tho that's not necessarily a winning combination for success anymore) than a 5 year (going on 6) vet's "potential".

3. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

You guys traded a conditional 3rd for him, right?

What are the conditions he needs to hit for that to turn into a 2nd?

4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Thank you Nostradamus. You do realize that he made a great play for a TD against Buffalo or do you just selectively chose to dump on players who make game winning TD catches?

I never called Anderson garbage. But if you want to refer to the guy that caught a great Game Winning TD pass in the last game as "garbage" that is your problem. You apparently refuse to see that Edwards has demononstratable athleticism, makes huge catches and has enormous potential. You prefer to think he's "garbage." If thats how you choose to refer to the guy that just caught the game winning TD what do you think of Keller?

What the heck do you care how much he is paid when there is no cap? Its Woody's money. The notion that you are okay with letting BE walk in favor of some anonymous unproven rookie is truly amazing. The Jets don't need to draft WRs to replace Vets in their prime who are just getting accustomed to a rookie Qb who himself is starting to show signs of improvement. The Jets need to address the DL and OG and not worry about WRs. Lets get the priorities straight here.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Braylon Edwards would have to catch a very unrealistic number of passes, I can't remember an article that mentioned the exact amount of catches, but by all accounts it was not going to be attainable with a rookie QB.

6. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I'll tell ya what.....the guy drops some passes, there's no doubt and he sketches me out a little bit. But the flip side is, he also catches some really poorly thrown balls in addition to acrobatic catches and fighting for yardage and the EZ.

7. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

That's what I first read when the trade happened, but I'm pretty sure the actual number came out to around 55 catches, which isn't even that high of a number. I don't know whether it's 55 for the year or 55 amassed total with the Jets.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Either it's 55 amassed with the Jets or it's a terrible trade. Hell, 55 with the Jets isn't good by itself, honestly.

9. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

It's all good and gravy when everything works out. If the Bills drive down the field and we lose by 1 point, guess which play and player becomes the hot topic of the week? Especially now that things fell nicely for us to still be in the playoff hunt this weekend.

I don't fail to recognize it. That was a great play. I also don't fail to recognize how many drives have stalled because of his dropped passes. I'm just not enamored with the guy because he makes 1 great play for every 2-3 easy passes that are dropped at critical times.

I only care if the Jets extend him for the amount he's looking for. If he's willing to stay for around 4-5M, fine, keep him. He'll be great for this team at 4-5M. I'm in favor in letting BE walk if he doesn't budge and we get compensated for it. We won't let BE walk for nothing tho. He'll be given another year to tryout and we will address other much needed areas in the Draft. I'm more concerned for the future and in re-signing Leon, Revis and Mangold than I am for giving a mediocre WR with "potential" (for the last 6 years) 10M per.

10. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I thought the number was not really disclosed but the trigger was supposedly about 55 catches for the Jets this SEASON. I'm guessing that they took his career high of about 80 catches and pro-rated that given the fact that he was an in season acquisition and that number came out at about 55. But I don't know that 55 is the number or how they got to it.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'm fully aware that he took a major step back following his amazing all pro year. I do think though there were some legit factors that contributed to the drop off. Some of them caused by him but some of them out of his control, including playing a majority of games with Ken Dorsey at QB.

We traded for McCariens with the belief that he could become a starting caliber WR which he never was before. That is a big difference from trading for a WR that was an all pro just two short years ago.

Besides just looking at the two from a purely physical talent standpoint there is no comparison between the two either. Edwards is one of the most talented WRs in the game, McCariens never possessed that kind of talent. Inconsistency keeps Edwards from being a top 5 WR, JMac neve had that kind of talent.

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

How can you be one of the most talented wide recievers in the game when you can't catch the ball? He is a physically gifted player who isn't close to one of the best WR in the game.

13. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Oh that makes sense blame Edwards for Sanchez mistakes. Edwards is a very good WR he r best WR and we need him.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

No he is not one of the best WRs in the game but he is one of the most talented. You are not going to find many WRs in the game with his size, speed and physicality combination. His inconsistency is keeping him form being a top 5 WR not his talent.

The best Wrs in the game drop passes, Calvin Johnson IMO is the best WR in the game has 7 drops so far, Andre Johnson has 6, TO has 9, Ocho Cinco is usually high up on the list.

#214 Attackett, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The other factor nobody is mentioning is the Jets looked for a quality wideout all off season and only succeeded in getting Edwards because of his particular situation in Cleveland. Meanwhile the team has huge needs in the draft on both lines and I would also say at #2 Cb. The Jets can't replace Edwards in the draft, quite simply, without it costing them elsewhere, where they need help more.

So, what makes us think the Jet FO would do better picking up a wideout in FA this year than last? I dunno, maybe someone has an answer. I don't.

They got him for a reason - nobody other than McCariens on the roster scared anyone. Remember all the talk of Clowney? At least we have seen him some. Does he scare anyone? No.

All this dumping on players, coaches, is really tiresome if you can't answer this question - What is your Plan B?

Plan B as far as I can see is to do worse by the team than keeping Edwards. He stays.

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Good post BB, but I think you meant "Cotchery" not "McCareins" is the only other threat on the team.

Braylon is the best receiver this team has had at least since Keyshawn.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was a brain fart. Heh.

Cotch is the correct answer.

18. LongGaines

LongGaines Banned

he never dropped alot of passes. He was not the burner or threat we thought we were drafting but dropping balls was not his problem. Not sure where you remember Parcells wanting to unload him either'

19. Gator

Gator Active Member

Wasn't Parcells still GM of the Jets when in April of 2000 Keyshawn (who I'm assuming you're talking about) was traded for two draft picks?

20. KleckoNamathToon

We gave up a 3rd and a 5th this coming draft so I think we keep Braylon, especially as other posters have pointed out we've been hunting for a WR for two years and we have other needs going into this draft. Is he restricted or totally free at the end of the year? I ask because we might possibly take the compensation pick if it is a 1st rounder if his money demands are ridiculous, but I see us keeping him and moving on to fill other needs.