Braylon needs to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets1135, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Especially considering that it had an impact on TO as well and it was mentioned before the game by Mike T that it could be a problem. Also that stadium is known to be a problem for outfielders for many years.

2. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

see maybe it was never braylon.. just the product of shitty coaching.. wait till next season after he has some real time to work on fundamentals.. like catchin... he's gunna have a sick season next year..

3. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I love how everyone is throwing the word "potential" around Edwards too. You guys realize he's was chosen 3rd overall back in 2005 and has been in the league for 5 years now and has only had 1 breakout year, right?

And spare me the Derek Anderson argument. If Braylon Edwards was a Pro-Bowler for that 1 year and u still want him on the team, there's no reason why another team could make the same argument for Derek Anderson who went to the Pro-Bowl that same year with Edwards as well.

For all this potential talk, I don't see the difference in keeping BE or drafting a rookie in the 1st round. At least I'd know I can live with the rookie's dropped passes. I can't seem to do that with a 5 year, 3rd overall selection vet.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You picked one year. Look at McCariens the year before we got him he had 47catches for 813yards 17.3 per catch.

Edwards last year had 55 for 873 15.3.

This year Edwards has 33 receptions through 12 games for 505 yards.
    McCariens first year with the Jets he had 56 for 770 yards.

They are very comparable if you look at what we traded for and what they actually produced.

5. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I'm glad we got the W as well, but that game should've been out of reach in the 4th even with Clemens in there fucking up.

The BE drop and the Sanchez over-throw. I can live with the Sanchez over-throw because he's a rookie and it didn't turn into a pick. The BE drop was laughable.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I doubt a rookie is going to come in and consistently demand double coverage like Edwards does.

7. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Well, what does Edwards actually bring to the table (CONSISTENTLY) to demand the double coverages? Size and speed? He doesn't need to catch the ball consistently, right? Maybe from time to time make a circus catch? You mean to tell me there's no WR in the upcoming Draft that's 6'3" and runs a 4.3/sub-4.3? We can work on the 'catching thing' down the line.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You can't use this years numbers against Edwards, coming to a new team in week 5 with a rookie QB. If at this point next year his numbers aren't any better you may have a point. Until then they are in completely different worlds as far as talent and what they have accomplished before trading for them.

We traded for JMac based strictly off of potential, we traded for Edwards based on the belief that he could regain the form he once had. Only time will tell but even with the drops so far he has already made more of an impact on this team than McCareins ever did in his time with the team.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

Defensive coordinators consistently keep a safety over him because he's a proven threat. Rookie WR's rarely, if ever, demand that type of respect. We already have that threat to keep the guy out of the box.

We need to draft DT/DE/OG early on, not WR.

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

McCareins was good in 2004 and terrible in 2005. He was so terrible in 2005 and thereafter that nobody remembers 2004.

11. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Well he's been here long enough to have DC's game plan around him. 5 years to be exact. I'm sure DC's gameplan around DeSean Jackson now and he's no 6'3"-6'4" WR.

But that wasn't the point I was trying to make. Ur right, we don't need a WR, but we shouldn't pay him the kind of monies that he's gonna want. The point is how Edwards still has all this un-tapped potential everyone speaks about. If a WR has been in the league for 5 years, has had 1 breakout season, and is still making the same drops for 4 of them, I think he's pretty much established himself as a specific type of receiver. A fast, double-coverage demanding, pass-dropping type of receiver. Pay him commanding double-coverage money, but not like an All-Around Top 15 WR in the league.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

At this point I'm assuming an uncapped year so I couldn't care less how much money Woody has to pay him. If there were a salary cap it would be a different story.

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Forget this year look at last year same as McCariens before we went after him. You want to look at a young players best year but don't want to take into account that he took a huge step backwards after a breakout year. In this league that's a red flag.

14. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I hear u. I just hope we don't sign him long-term because the FO is blinded by this 'potential' everyone is speaking of. He'll be here another year for sure because he's a RFA, so he'll get another chance to show what he's got.

15. Gator

Gator Active Member

Does the fact that the QB he had the huge year with went into the toilet the next year come into play at all? Anderson never made it back to that level either.

16. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I can't believe there is 10 pages on this-

We need him, end of story.

17. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

So, if that makes Anderson garbage, what does that make Edwards?

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Yes we realize when he was drafted, who drafted him and how long he has been in the NFL. He has not been in the league for 5 years. He is in his 5th season. He was a pro-bowler in 2007.

What the hell are you talking about?

Good for you. You would rather just let BE go to the Pats and draft a rookie and hope for the best. A dropped pass is a dropped pass. It makes no difference who drops it, the result is the same.

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Exactly. :beer:

20. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

This thread needs to go.