Braxton Berrios - AFC STs Player of the Week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Dec 29, 2021.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there are less opportunities for kickoff returns these days making the position less valuable. Fortunately for Berrios he can play a decent WR and they should be using him more on offense. If they aren't going to use him on offense then they shouldn't pay him. But I think they should pay him and use him.

less clumsy TEs, more Berrios

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He’s also not consistently on the field. He was getting tons of snaps early in the year and it dipped to 10-20% for the better part of the middle of the year because the nitwits who coach this team are terrified to put him and Crowder on the field together.

I don’t see why Berrios can’t have 600-800 yards in the slot like Crowder has had in his career. He’s a solid player.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think we are in a good spot where we can offer him a very fair contract based off of how valuable he is in the return game but also take a little bit of a gamble and try to turn him into more of a slot receiver when Crowder inevitably signs elsewhere this coming offseason. Not that I want to take advantage of the kid but we could be paying a very serviceable slot receiver nothing more than punt or kick returner money. I don’t even know what that is to be honest… Is it 3 million a year?

I’m also not saying he will be as good of a receiver as Crowder but I think he is much more versatile. You aren’t running jet sweeps and reverses to Crowder meanwhile they have become a very efficient part of our game plan with Braxton.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Receiving statistics can also very much be a function of how the quarterback plays. We don’t exactly air the ball out and Berrios received less than 30% of the snaps on offense in 8/15 games.

Unless he wants something ludicrous, he needs to be retained. Teams also don’t pay a premium for kick returners anymore so that helps us in FA.

K'OB and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

No one is saying he’s consistently good either… are you hearing voices; seeing ghosts?

It’s hard to be “good” when you’re not thrown the ball…. But the kid has an 80% completion rate: he’s dependable.

What’s a solid #4 receiver behind Williams, Moore, and Davis worth?

Royal Tee and K'OB like this.
  6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I kinda went back to see what Andre Roberts made after his pro bowl year with the Jets. He made around 5 mill for 2 years in his next contract with around 2.5 in signing bonus. I could see Berrios being around that. Remember, many didn’t care for Berrios as a returner until this year when he really took off. It helps that in a pinch he can play the slot but he’s suited to be your 5th WR. The value that he won’t hurt you at on offense is a major plus. We just haven’t seen a body of work to suggest he could be what Crowder can be for example.

With Moore’s emergence as a guy who can play on the outside, would you be confident if Berrios was your slot guy?

I feel ideally if you can grab another WR who can start, you can have Corey, Moore and then whoever you bring in to play on the outside. Have Moore in the slot with Berrios as your backup slot/trick guy.

Royal Tee likes this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well documented on here that I like the guy, he needs to be given more chances to excel, he has never let the team down not like some of the other stone-handed erm looking for the right word here, ah well, I am sure you can guess.

Centiment likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I believe the name you are looking for is Clint.

C LI N T

9. K'OB

An old but gold hack, love it.

10. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

This guy looks to me like he has the capability to become a Cole Beasley type of receiver that can always be around on the 3rd and 5 for Zach or anybody else to depend on being open.
    Beasley bailed out Dak many times and would have been just as valuable to Allen in Buffalo if Allen was not so willing to take off and run.
    Braxios can be a big time asset if given the shot.

K'OB likes this.
  11. K'OB

Been saying this for two seasons at least, style of play Beasley is the perfect example of what Berrios can give us, with other extras on top, I think he is a good player, he can maybe even be a great player if he is given a bigger role, some people seem to lock on his size as some kind of problem, not everybody needs to be a giant to play football.