Brandon Marshall Released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by John, Mar 2, 2017.

1. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

We have Enunwa who broke out last year, quite frankly outplayed Marshall who you are so concerned about.

Robby Anderson had 17 less catches than Marshall on 50 (read FIFTY) FEWER targets as a rookie. How many of the 36 incompletions to Robby were overthrows which could've gone for 6? How many of 36 incompletions to Robby could've been hauled in if he gained 10 more lbs to ward off DBs at the catch point.

Charone Peake and Jalin Marshall played roles for us and can only go up from there.

And we have Decker returning. Who, in the three games he played last season posted 194 yards, 2TD to Marshall's 160 yards, 0TD.

Marshall is lucky Decker got hurt, otherwise he would've been the 4th most productive WR we had last year.

BomberJet likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Unless Over the Cap is wrong (and they never are to my knowledge), no he won't. There is zero cap hit. Where do you see that there will be a cap hit?

3. NCJetsfan

Na na na na, na na na na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye!

4. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Wow after joining your site, the Jets have released Revis, Marshall, and Mangold! It sounds like your management is finally doing the right thing. The purging of these overpaid veterans makes perfect sense and I am optimistic their might actually be hope for the Jets!

I will not speak poorly of Marshall so as to not offend any Jets fan here. But can we say he was no Don Maynard, the best Jet receiver ever?

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

anyone who thinks Decker will be just fine is wishing, I can easily see them releasing him also. He is coming off not 1 but 2 surgeries and I am not sure this guy can be ready for opening day-------> he had a torn rotator cuff and I am not sure of the severity ( but I am rehabbing my 3rd one as I type and this injury sucks ) and he had hip surgery .Again I won't be shocked if they release him

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite NFL players of all time but I'm all in for a complete reboot...NEXT!

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm shocked they were gonna extend him? At 33? Thank you Marshall!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

FJF likes this.
  8. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Perhaps we are going the way of the Raiders a la Derek Carr and Amare Cooper.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Decker is not the guy the Jets should want to re-sign. He is injury prone now and he's not getting any younger.

The fact the Jets offered BM an extension shows their mindset of who they thought was the more durable player and who they wanted to keep as a primary weapon that attracts attention from other teams in game day.

Decker will probably be kept by default as they need a veteran WR but don't be surprised to see him on the IR again next year.

Wish BM the best and as much as next year might suck, glad the jets are purging the team from old players and focusing on the youth movement.

10. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Sorry to see him go, but he wouldn't be asking for his release if the front office had done a better job up until now? Marshall sees that this team is in full on rebuilding mode, as in like starting over? Well, the Jets started over two seasons ago and they are no better today than in 2014. That's a problem. It will become a larger issue as time goes on if the front office does not start to do a much better job with everything they do on a daily basis...

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I just hope Mac has a plan with all this money he is freeing up.So far he has released all the vets that didn't contribute last year .

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He needs to spend most of that cash on the Oline.

xoMYSTiCxo, NYJetsO12 and JetBlue like this.
  13. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

You can't fault the jets in this as apparently they extended an extension offer to Marshall but seeing the direction the Jets are going in and his age, Marshall felt it was in his best interest to be released and to play for a contender.

He did well for a season and last season he was pretty average, dropping a lot of easy catches, and what I think was far worse was his negative impact in the locker room. He wanted to go down with Fitz and he did in fact go down with the Fitz ship. I'm not upset about this as I think we have enough WR depth, and enough WR that need reps. I am hoping that Devin Smith can emerge as a legitimate 2nd round WR but I have my serious doubts.

15. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe he was offered a extension, if that is true and the Jets verify this it doesent send a good message about giving it everything you got every game to the young receivers.
    It does appear that when Richardson is given the heave ho players with when I'm in the mood attitudes Richardson, Marshall, Mevis, will all be out of he way.
    If your going to play kids they don't need to see this in the locker room.

16. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Funny to see the NY beat writers start on the Giants to hire Marshall. He makes their job easy.

17. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that this season will be unwatchable, but for once they are committed to a full rebuild.

18. NCJetsfan

I won't be shocked either. If he's not gonna be healthy, then they should, but I hope he will be healthy and be back. I think we need some veterans as leaders and mentors. He is good in that regard.

Sorry to hear about your 3rd torn rotator cuff! OUCH!! I had one and the rehab is hell. I definitely would not want to have to go through another. What in the heck are you doing to keep tearing your rotator cuff?

19. NCJetsfan

Me too, but a couple of thoughts occurred to me. They might have done that thinking that Decker might not be healthy, and wanted a veteran receiver to help the young QBs. They might have also done it just out of appreciation and respect thinking that he probably wouldn't accept it anyway with the Jets going into a rebuild.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I agree, and can't pretend to understand why they would have done that, unless it was the two reasons I offered in my response to 101.