Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I think Rex really needs to take control of the offense. It seems like he lets Schotty do whatever he wants, and we see that it doesn't work. Last season it took Rex doing the same thing to get the offense working as well.

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Man, now Brees has a cannon? Brees doesn't have a cannon, but he's got a good enough arm to make all the throws. Brees wasn't known for his arm strength when he came out of college, and then he had surgery on that arm. He throws the ball very well, but I wouldn't say Sanchez has a much weaker arm at all.

I do agree that we need to allow him more freedom to move around. Which brings us back to the backup quarterback thing. If we had a backup we could trust, then we could allow Sanchez to move around more.

On the other hand, maybe Kellen Clemens at this stage of his career is as good if not better than Sanchez. I'm not saying I want to bench Sanchez for him, just that this idea that Sanchez was the most indispensable Jet is only true in the fact that he's our future at quarterback. As far as this year is concerned, he's below average at best. I don't want to say that after one game, but based on his body of work so far in the NFL, all he is, is potential that hasn't been reached yet. He gets a pass because of inexperience even at the college level, but he has to start making strides this year.

He was good in the two playoff games. He wasn't great. It was just the best we saw out of him all year.

But his best is also when he's rolling out and using his legs a little bit, too. He's an athletic kid, though with bad knees. As he's learning, it wouldn't hurt to get him moving around to make plays that way and just move the chains however he can.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well these are as much long term considerations as short term, imo. In the long term, if the idea is MS is the Jet Qb of the next ten years, I don't like, and I doubt the CS does, either, the math of bad knees plus rolling out alot. It increases the risk of injury.

The fact is no one here knows whether MS can and will succeed as a pocket passer. But I doubt we see alot of roll outs from him. In the near term this probably means he will continue to be no better than average, and I fear you are correct he will actually be less than average.

On the other hand I don't really know how effective he would be rolling out, so there is that.

The Jets OL is good enough that MS should get enough time in the pocket to find receivers. Will he? It remains to be seen.

But also in the near term, I think the main point is we should not expect to see MS rolling out, running the ball, much more than we did in the first game. They'll most likely try and get better with him showing more patience finding receivers downfield.

4. bowleggedwonder

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer denied coaching any Jets in an offseason workout in California. The NFL is investigating the presence of Schottenheimer and Ryan. Schottenheimer did say he watched Sanchez and company work out, but insisted: "In no way, shape or form was I doing any coaching."

I think we should take Schotty at his word, as it clear that on Monday Night, it was also true that "In no way, shape or form was I doing any coaching."

5. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Totally understand the negativity concerning Schottenheimer but I'm amazed at how few of these same ppl don't seem to lay any blame @ Rex for this offense. If Rex was not happy w/ the way Jets OC is doing things then it would've been changed already.

If Rex tells Schottenheimer that the offense looks predictable & they should try to test the Ravens secondary ... does anyone really think Schottenheimer will ignore Rex?

Schottenheimer is leading this offense towards Rex vision of how Jets offense should be run.

6. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Ziiiiiiiiinnnnggg!!! :lol:

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Brees has had a very strong arm since his days at Purdue. That's what he was known for there and it's the reason he got drafted in the 2nd round despite being 6 feet tall. His short and mid-range velocity is excellent and the touch that accompanies that allows him to deliver balls that would be drops if other QB's tried to make the throw.

The only people in the NFL that consistently throw harder in the mid-range game are Carson Palmer, Brett Favre and Michael Vick.

8. Big Blocker

Imo the Schott haters never address this point.

It's as if there are certain people who you can't criticize, and others are always criticized.

But you are right, Ryan is the HC. He's responsible for BS's performance at least in the sense that by retaining him from last year, Ryan both knew what BS did last year and wanted him back.

The rest of your pionts are also on point.

Imo the BS haters would like to think the only problem with the O is BS, so that were he fired, the O would become top shelf.

Unfortunately it is more complicated than that.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have had a great offensive line for 4 years now. When exactly are the Jets going to start scoring the points you'd expect them too with that state of affairs?

Why are Jets QB's always looking like deer in the headlights with said line in front of them?

Why does the time of possession clock not slant heavily in the Jets favor?

What is the Jets offensive philosophy?

These are basic questions that we should have the answers for headed into the 5th year of Brian Schottenheimer's reign as offensive coordinator. Seriously, we were all ready to run Paul Hackett out of town on a rail after 2004 and he basically had the same flat results as Schotty, including two serious injuries to his starting QB and his other starter getting old overnight.

Why are people defending Schotty at this point? What has he DONE to make people think he's not the problem?

10. Big Blocker

For starters, was on the team that went to the Champ game last year.

The Jets offensive philosophy is largely dictated by the fact that they have a second year Qb who threw 20 interceptions, fumbled ten times, and had knee surgery last year and over the off season. It's a run oriented offense.

TOP - All other things being equal you want TOP. But the main object is to win games. The Jets won more than they lost last year, including two playoff games, with a rookie Qb. Yeah, the OC must suck.

Qb's. I wouldn't say Favre looked like a deer in the headlights. He looked like he didn't know the system that well, and did not have much a pre-season with the team I seem to recall. Even so the team was doing well until he had that chest injury. Was that the OC's fault, too?

You guys talk about Pennington and make much of his going to Miami and having better stats. The reality is he avoided injury for really the first time in his career, his stats benefitted from confusion about the Wildcat, and a very strong running game. Penny in any event was a bit of an oddity - has anyone else won Comeback Player twice?

And of course regarding Sanchez, see above.

Regarding the OL, they did NOT have a great OL three years ago. Are you kidding?!? Don't you remember Bender and Clarke at LG? You lost most of your cred right there.

Two years ago, again, the team was doing quite well until Favre got hurt. Last year, see comments on Sanchez.

I think that covers it. But let me ask you three questions, why did Ryan bring BS back this year if he sucks so bad?

And who was just waiting for a phone call who would have been a top OC if only the Jets had gotten him?

And if there was someone out there who would have been clearly better, who do you think should be blamed for not getting him?

And on the last one, ftr, BS is a wrong answer. Even you can't blame him for THAT.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Rex does deserve a lot of the blame. And he fixed things when they needed fixing last season even though he wanted to be a hands-off type of defensive coach. A lot of the 'Schott haters' maybe were hoping that Rex could take the training wheels off of his OC so that the OC could develop the QB?

Why is it that Rex is now taking an active role in the offense yet again? And this time 1 single game into the season? Is it because he thinks Schotty is doing a good job?

#171 abyzmul, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

shhhhhh!

/thread

13. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

Exactly. If Rex totally loved Schotty's playcalling, he wouldn't already be taking control. He had to do it last year, he has to do it again this year.

I don't think there is necessarily a problem with the plays. I think the problem is the person calling them, and the sequence in which he calls them. Run, run, pass, all very clear to all watching what the play will be, Kotite-style.

14. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Great post, particularly the part about Brees. Talk about revisionist history for some people. Brees landed in New Orleans and no one wanted him because there was talk that his noodle arm would not even be that, going forward.

In any event, my concern with Sanchez is Schottenheimer, who seems to want to have it both ways. You either start a rookie quarterback and accept that he'll make mistakes, or start a veteran who's going to be smart with the football. The Jets are instead sending a young guy out there and telling him "don't make any mistakes!" and the results have been poor.

What concerns me is that Sanchez is starting to look a lot like Schottenheimer's first young qb, Clemens, who is utterly afraid to do much of anything, and is now hanging on for dear life to stay in the league. That's why I think this thread is silly. The execution sucked, but aside from overpowering the other team at the point ground and pound offense, Schottenheimer has ALWAYS sucked, because despite all his faux trickery, the playcalling is nearly always uber conservative. For whatever reason, he's escaped criticism.

The Jets should use their exceptional defense and ability to run the ball as insurance against Sanchez mistakes, and they should be taking chances on offense, to a reasonable extent. Having guys like Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards, and later, Santonio Holmes, should mitigate the mistakes, and if it doesn't, then you know you have a turd at quarterback. Right now, because Schottenheimer is totally tight, the Jets aren't really getting a good grasp for what Sanchez is.

-X-

15. BleednGreen247

Team went to the champ game after Rex told schitty to change his system and dumb it down.

Jets didnt win with Schits offense. What happened when Schitty gave Sanchez more responsibility because he was playing well? Jets went 1 and fucking 6...1-6! The Jets won because of the running game that Billy C is responsible for.

QBs? Favre didnt run schittys system.

Oh, so the OC in Miami figured out a way to get the best out of his players? Whats that like? I wouldnt know watching Schitty.

See Favre not running Schittys system.

Who can really fire an OC after they make it to the AFC Chip? This is Rexs fault though, he gives Schitty too much control of the offense. Its no surprise that when Rex got involved Sanchez played much better and the Jets were contenders.

Callahan was waiting.

16. Big Blocker

I don't recall that Ryan took control of the playcalling last year. Perhaps that's not what you meant, but your first paragraph seems a bit unclear.

17. Big Blocker

The dumbing it down came after Sanchez threw too many int's into double and more coverage.

I don't follow the logic of your post. Dumbing it down also meant relying more on the running game, which was a good move. I look at last season as first the team was doing fine, then opposing OC's got some game film on Sanchez, and threw coverages at him that he was confused by and threw into. At that point the team found their O needed tweaking. And they did tweak it, successfully so.

What you are really saying is that BS deserves no credit for the wins last year, which btw there were more of than losses, and all the "credit" for the losses.

Okey dokey.

And Ryan may have told BS what his thoughts were on O. But it's not like Ryan was the architect of the O at any point. Input, yes. Building it? No. I just don't really know what we are to make of your use of the term "involved" when speaking of Ryan. THe only involvement I saw was that color coding thing.

18. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

The more concerning thing to me is that Rex needed to see that game to realize he had to be active with the offense again. I know he loves defense and is a genius with he schemes but he has a very capable defensive staff with him. He has no reason to totally consume himself with running the defense and he has plenty of reason to make sure the offense is being run to fit his vision for the team.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that offense took off once Rex helped to give it an identity last season. He is the pulse of the team and not being as involved in the offense as possible from the get go was not a good decision. I know that Rex just wants to focus on making the defense the best defense ever but he has a larger responsibility to make sure that this is the best Jets team ever and to do that he should have been doing what he was doing last year when the team started to take off.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Remember when the Raiders offense dominated from 1998-2002?

[​IMG]

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I hate that I have to bring this point over and over again.

3rd and 2 at the 11 yard line toward the goal line. And the play call was pass from shotgun. Not once. Not twice. ALL FUCKING SEASON. Mangini really had his hard-ons with those 3rd and short shotguns, right? That's why Brett Favre never had 300 yard days with Jets, right? Because Mangini was too hand-cuffing? Pennington's comeback-player-of-the-year campaign had him throw 16 picks the season - his career high. In his earlier days, he never threw a pick in the red zone, remember, nor did he throw 10+ picks a season.

There are a load of rapsheet you can run against Schitty. It's just some people block that part out of their mind. Jets offense rarely ranked over top half - not top 5, not top 10. top HALF. - with Schitty in charge. That kind of performance review should get him canned.