Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Agreed, for the most part. I'm curious to know everyone's opinion on passing it late on that 3rd down instead of running it. It seems obvious to run, it gets rid one of their Timeouts, which appeared crucial considering how the game finished.

2. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I didn't know you could have that many receivers eligible...?

I might be in the minority but I liked the call. We were going for the win right there, can't bash them for trying to win the game. "You play to win the game!" If anything it shows you trust your defense thinking they can stop them anyways (which they did).

#1682 Dirty6Sanchez, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

We passed it cause we were tryin to win the game with that play!

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Look how we managed our own timeouts in the first half.

Somehow it appears that calculus is still beyond this coaching staff.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I had no problem w/ a pass, I didn't like the play we had. I would have rolled Sanchez out off a play fake and unless the receiver was wide open I would have had him either run for it or just get down to make them use that last TO.

6. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Only 5 eligible receivers max are allowed. What they did was spread out the offensive lineman to aid downfield blocking. It's actually pretty creative (and that particular play led to a touchdown.)

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Except this team is designed to win the game on that one play by running it - not passing it.

With Sanchez's completion ratio - I bet you we get three yards on a higher percentage of running plays, then passing plays.

8. Hobbes3259

That's backwards.

Sanchez completion pct is low, because he's asked to go downfield, without the benefit of the 4 and 5 yard plays...

65% last week I believe?

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Let me explain. It wasn't missed calls I was referring to. It was extremely shoddy work by the refs of spotting the ball. Mendenhall was tackled a full yard and a half short of the marker. Then on 3rd & 17 Hines Ward was tackled a bit short of the yellow stripe. Third down conversion and they don't stop and measure?

Missed calls are one thing...not performing the basic tasks of your job is another.

10. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

This is what I was thinking as well. Seems like the best of both worlds. I liked the pass call on third down, Steelers were keying in on the run and they were trying to end the game right there. But a rollout, while limiting the receiving options would allow Sanchez to run and eat clock if the throw isn't there.

11. Hobbes3259

NOt the last drive.

Holmes should have been open. Nice call.

Prior drive...

2nd Down.

HARTSOCK. Richardson. RB. Down 7 late?

AYFKM?

12. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Schottys plays were all decent however

STOP GIVING LT THE BALL. He is done he is not week 4 LT his tank is empty Greene should be the starter and should be getting a bulk of the work

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I cannot pin this one on Brian. Really, no.

If the offense puts up 27 points, the defense has to seal the deal.

Seriously, the offense did about all it could do in its power (except a few FGs that could have been TDs) I mean, look. 24 1st downs, 7/14 on 3rd down, nearly 400 yards through the air and the ground? Shit. This offense dominated for 33+ minutes.

Jets defense seriously lack a pass rushing talent in the OLB and Safeties. While Pouha is a serviceable NT, he does not command double-team the way Jenkins does. Ellis is too old and needs replacement too. Jets front 7 is really pathetic.

14. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Forget about whether LT is tired or not, Greene is the TYPE OF BACK you put in for those situations. I don't understand why we keep giving LT the ball when we do. Not only that, early in the game he is running dives up the middle. Thats Greene's carry for christs sake. You can call a great game like he did but a close game like this something like picking and choosing RB's will cost you the game. Along with piss poor defense.

15. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

schotty HAS to have lost his job today

D fucked up a lot but the offense completely stalled. had we been able to keep pace the game would have turned out much differently. devin hester is an absolute animal, and you cant blame the defense completely for what happened. football is most definitely a field position game, and when you start as an offense with a short field it is almost a gift. teams that dont capitalize on those sorts of things are considered bad...

i understand that the d was atrocious as well. it is no excuse to say that they were given a short field, our pass rush is a serious problem, and teams dont feel as though they need to worry about getting the ball out quick. when you can gameplan against a weak pass rush, you tell your receivers to be patient and keep running around. it becomes a million times harder for the defender the more time the receiver has to try and get open.

shonne greene had a great first half, so what does schotty do for the second half? give them a heaping spoonful of LT.

receivers are getting in each others way down field and bringing all the defenders together. how the hell is our second year qb expected to feel comfortable throwing into a storm of defenders? sanchez is doing well in spite of schotty, and it is because he isnt a moron. i feel bad for him because he is getting the short end of the stick. if the jets dont get him some better coaching i wouldnt blame him for refusing any extensions leaving once his contract is up.

braylon edwards needs to be more involved in the offense. he is an animal. santonio needs to smoke some weed and chill out. he looks nervous out there.

all in all, it was the offense in the end that cost the jets the game, and after a career of mediocrity, and never really getting his team into an offensive rhythm, he still has a job.

rex cant fire him can he? i cant believe that rex would ever think this is acceptable.

16. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

did you see the bears offense? they put up 38

sometimes you need to score points. sometimes your defense puts you in the position to score those needed points, when that happens, it is up to the offense to win the game

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Brian called another good game for the most part, the only think I didn't get was running Lt while Greene was so effective but we lost w/ our overrated D AGAIN. if not for our offense this year we'd have 6 wins right now.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

When the Jets had to get it done, they didn't and like was said above, sometimes you have to outscore the other team when your D can't stop anybody..

19. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

This is incredibly stupid, the Defense lost the game for us today, 38 points!!? AYFKM! The offense put up 27 points today, could they have put up more? Sure, but when the D allows 38 points wtf do you want?

20. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

I agree he called a good game he is getting better!!! Passing on 1st down it was about fucking time ....