Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Considering how Sanchez has spent the entire season being criticized and ridiculed, to say that he is not being held accountable strikes me as more than a little ridiculous. I have not seen one person on this board or in the media say that he is playing well (Rex's comments of course don't count - just ask Derrick Mason). That's entirely the point - when your QB is not playing well and your running backs are averaging 4.6 yards per carry, a game plan that has 64 passing plays (the plays that ended in sacks count too) and 19 runs by the running backs (when the team is within one score with less than 3 minutes left in the game, so it's not like they had to pass to come back quickly) warrants immediate firing.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hehe, thanks, jeff, I had not even factored the sacks into the passing situation. Sixty Effing Four. That is beyond ridiculous.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I would say Sanchez has played as well as anyone can, in an offense with NO intermediate passing game (A point Phil Simms made for the third time to my ears this season) a turnstile at RT, and a guy that calls plays with awareness surpassing only that of Helen Keller.

(In addition to Simms, Brian Billick, Michael Irvin, and Baldinger have all pointed out the refusal to use intermediate routes this season.)

4. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

With no intermediate passing game, and obviously no deep passing game, what kind of calls do you expect Shotty to make?

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Schotty is responsible for play design as well as playcalling.

6. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

I agree, but if you have a QB who is only completeing 50% of his passes when all they are are quick slants and dump-off's, what do you think his completion percentage would be if he were throwing intermediate and deep routes?

7. magic77

magic77 New Member

You also have to factor in that his WR are getting as much seperation as the ambilical cord from their mother allows

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I might have agreed with this a few weeks ago (or at least said that it was very possible), but I do think he has played poorly the past couple of weeks. A couple of friends I saw over Christmas, one from Philly and one from Atlanta, who hadn't seen games all year, commented to me that they thought he looked much worse in terms of decision-making in the last couple of games than they had expected to see. I think at this point he has lost all confidence in what he's doing out there, and it's pretty much too late to change that this year. That, of course, is the point - if your QB is not having success, for whatever reason, a game plan with 64 pass plays in it is undoubtedly the stupidest possible thing to call.

I really don't have a problem with Rex showing loyalty to players while they are on the team as long as they're giving the effort - Eric Smith will never get faster, so benching him for being slow when you don't have someone to replace him is pointless. Loyalty to coaches is a completely different matter. The assistant coaches need to be loyal to the head coach, not vice versa. The fact that Ryan has allowed an entire season to go by without stepping in and ordering Schottenheimer to have at least 60% running plays called every week (at the very least until the team is down by more than 2 TDs) reflects very badly on him, and is about the only thing I would point to as to why he should be on the hot seat right now.

9. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

That's one arguement I disagree with.

Separation in the NFL only requires one step (or even a half step) to get open. It is then up to the QB to hit the WR in stride.

How many times this year was Keller open over the middle on a drag pattern and he had to pick the ball off his shoe tops or slow down to catch a ball that was thrown behind him? Not to mention the over-throws to wide open WR's.

The route of the problem is Sanchez's inaccuracy, not the receivers gaining separation.

10. mute

mute Well-Known Member

the problem is also the routes that defenders just jump on to either knock the ball down, or intercept it. You also have receivers this year not running the right baby routes, dropping balls, or fail to look to catch the ball.

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Excellent post. That the Jets OC called so many passes (actually more if you also add in Sanchez's runs due to pressure) is something that should not be tolerated by Rex - given his statement on what he wants this offense to be. If Ryan allows this saga to continue into next year I fear that it's a sign that he does not want to be too involved in the offense. That will be a bad sign for the Jets future.

And I doubt that Rex can't get involved in the offense. In my opinon, you can't be a successful defensive co-ordinator and not understand the offensive side of the call. How can you gameplan your defensive schemes without knowing what the other guy is going to do on offense?

12. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Also, with all of the short routes it goes to figure that the field is tighter with more defenders per area thereby making it harder for receivers to be "wide" open. When you see more longer routes it should open the field more.

13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Sanchez has clearly been coached not to force throws into tight coverage.

My gut instinct is that the top receivers are either dogging it at practice, making timing hard for Sanchez, or he just doesn't understand how to throw ahead of a receiver.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've seen you post this a few times, and I have to say it's an astute observation. I'd assume that Plax and Tone probably spend a good 30 minutes in their cars before practice getting plinked before heading into the facility. And then they play with a clear head on Sunday. That'll fuck the timing up all day long.

15. JFS76

JFS76 New Member

I havent read a majority of this thread but if anyone defends Schittenheimer they need to have their head examined. Sure, the guy can call a great game here and there but he's way too inconsistent. He's very weak. We need a killer offense. I don't think I've ever seen a Jets offense that posesses a killer instinct. I'm sick of it.

16. Hobbes3259

Maybe you're missing the point. Schotty has no intermediate game as part of his offense,

Simms description is high risk offense

17. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

It would be hard to complete more then that with the amount of defenders usually sitting on the routes. Its not hard to tell watching tape what our offense does all day so defenders just sit between the sticks all day.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Do you think Ryan believes Sanchez would be successful in a vertical passing offense?

The reason I ask that is it should be obvious the answer is no, which is why Ryan has no problem with Schotty not designing and calling plays that fit in the vertical passing attack.

Because if the answer were yes, and somehow that did not affect the way Schotty calls plays, and how Ryan reacts to Schotty's playcalling, well, we've got a far, far larger problem on our hands here than Schotty's play calling.

You guys just don't want to admit Sanchez is not very good, and that his limitations affect the playcalling.

Having said that, I do think the Jets went away from the run too early and too often. Schotty deserves blame for that.

Here's the bottom line, though. Schotty leaves and the Jets are still left with at best a huge question mark at Qb. There is no evidence whatsoever that Sanchez will succeed with a different kind of offensive scheme.

What team in the NFL today succeeds without a quality passing attack? With Mark Sanchez as the Qb, the Jets will not be one of those teams, either.

19. Hobbes3259

Schotty's playcalling, involves, down the field and/or outside the numbers. (It is...for the most part a VERTICAL passing offense.)

There's no question Mark at QB. The question is the coaching.

Mark's around 57%, 27/15 (should be a little better..) in a HORRIFIC offense.

I don't get what it is that keeps you on the SDF, but the results are what they are over 4 quarterbacks, 2 first round picks, a Second round pick and a HOF'er.

An October article on Sanchez...

#4479 Hobbes3259, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  20. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Wow, did you miss the point. It does not matter what is called. The players have to execute. Should Schotty have called more run plays? Absolutely!

As far as Sanchez being held accountable. Did you miss the excuses used everyday on this board?