Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Man let me buy you a :beer:

Great post

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

There is no question whatsoever.

Schotty calls the plays.

What Schotty is being taught, is the modern NFL offense he didn't learn from being younger than Marty.

He creates decent pass plays, but based on his fathers formations.

His biggest weak spot is not adapting to changing rules, and what other teams are doing.

If I had to guess...I would wager that he does not watch other teams offensive film, to a great degree.

The increased use of the screen game, and the between the hashmarks 5-7 yard checkdown? HE'S NEVER DONE THAT, it's whats driven me insane for years...

3. Hobbes3259

Sanchez can win games on his own, he's done it. Repeatedly. How many 4th qtr comebacks? (which is why they use that number for QB's specifically)...Or is that JUST for Tebow?

And the improved playcalling has made almost as big a difference as Mangold being back in the lineup.

Hunter isn't going to get beat if Mark isn't waiting three days for a pattern to develop.

Screens and the NEWLY DISCOVERED 5-7 yard checkdown between the hashmarks is what is helping th OL keep Sanchez clean.

That play, used to pretty good effect last Sunday, is one that Schotty has never used effectively. It's what drives his detractors nuts.

Lets be honest...the best outcome, is for Scotty to get coached up. There is no denying he needs it, and you;d rather have him miss a HC spot, and have continuity with Sanchez, if Moore can help him gain competency.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

That call came right after one of Sanchez's worst passes of the day. I would have called a run, too, expecting a punt to get it away from the end zone.

Schotty Haters can't see the logic even if it is staring them in the face. Plus this whole business of harping on one or two plays out of an overall solid game is ridiculous, even childish.

I have had a lot of concerns and questions about Sanchez. That doesn't change that he had his best game of the season against KC. How about if I only talk about his less than stellar plays, like throwing a rope to Burress when a fade was the obvious throw he should have made?

That would be unfair, just like the Schotty Haters are.

5. Big Blocker

Or just maybe he knows more about the situation than you do, and has reached a different conclusion.

And of course if the Jets are really being coached right now by a spineless or clueless HC, where is the Fire Rex thread? Are you going to start one?

Seriously, if you feel that way about Ryan, what is holding you back?

6. Big Blocker

Or maybe he called screens because the whole strength of KC's D was rushing the passer?

As for your guess, it means squat. You don't know that, and btw haven't you ever heard Sanchez yell "kill"? Schotty may call the plays, but with whose input and how often are they changed up? How many times does the Qb not go through his reads and checkdowns properly? Plays called don't always have one specific way to play out. Most have options left to the execution of the players on the field.

The tendentious approach of Schotty Haters to paint the picture in either/or terms is an example of binary thinking. In reality the connection between plays called on the sidelines and what ends up being the actual result of the play is complex.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Just for fun, in 1998(the O that we all can agree upon was the best in the last 20 years) we scored 24 PPG, right now we are averaging 23 PPG. I'm pretty positive if the board was around in '98 we would have had threads whining about the playcalling and offense.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In 2006 the Jets scored TD's 43.14% of the time in the redzone (Chad Pennington - Brian Schottenheimer), they were ranked 25th in the NFL in that area.

In 2008 the Jets scored TD's 53.23% of the time in the redzone (Brett Favre - Brian Schottenheimer), they were ranked 17th in the NFL in that area.

In 2010 the Jets scored TD's 44.26% of the time in the redzone (Mark Sanchez - Brian Schottenheimer), they were ranked 28th in the NFL in that area.

So now they bring in Tom Moore and they're scoring TD's 71.79% of the time ranked 1st in the NFL in that area.

After 5 years of futility the Jets finally realized that maybe Brian Schottenheimer's ability as an offensive coordinator might be having something to do with their consistent low rankings in redzone scoring and they went and got him help at this most basic of all responsbilities for an offensive coordinator.

And they've left me thinking that we missed the playoffs in 2008 because Schotty was screwing things up when the Jets got down low. They left me thinking that the Jets go to the Super Bowl last season by scoring from the 3 yard line on 1st down in the AFC championship game if Schotty doesn't screw things up.

The only question I have remaining is why the fuck do you keep an offensive coordinator who can't even get his team into the endzone an average amount of the time when they get into the redzone? I mean what the fuck is going on here? This Jets team has been sabotaged repeatedly by Brain Schottenheimer's incompetence over the last 6 seasons. Enough is enough.

#4388 Br4d, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  9. nyjunc

2006 Chad was off 2 shoulder surgeries and in new system
    2008 Favre came to us w/ less than a month to go before the season
    2010 mark was a 2nd yr QB

Tom Moore definitely deserves creidt(that's why we brought him in) BUT in any of those other years did we have a weapon like Plaxico?

again, we are scoring 23 PPG. In 1998 we scored 24 PPG

10. Br4d

Do you know what the difference between 50% and 70% red zone scoring is over the course of a season? It's 6 or 7 TD's.

Brian Schottenheimer never managed to put together a decent redzone offense in his 5 seasons with the Jets. As soon as somebody who actually knew how to score in the redzone was hired the percentage goes up to Peyton-Colts levels.

Do you know why the Jets ranked 28th last year in redzone efficiency? Well everybody said it was Sanchez inaccuracy. He's completing exactly 2% more of his passes this year and yet the Jets have leaped to the top of the pack in redzone scoring.

Why?

Because last year the Jets receivers weren't open with well developed plays down low. This year there is usually a tight throw to make and Sanchez has been making them.

I'll stand by my statement that Brian Schottenheimer kept the Jets out of the Super Bowl last season.

#4390 Br4d, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  11. Big Blocker

Brad wants to say Sanchez and Moore get all the credit, ignoring Burress's role in improving red zone efficiency.

And of course let's ignore the lack of tackling by the D against Pitt last year in the first half of the Champ Game.

Your lack of cred is showing, Brad.

12. nyjunc

how did Schottenheimer keep the Jets out of the SB when it was our defense that blew the title game?

I'll agree on Moore helping out but again did we have a Plax that commanded so much attention in the RZ? No we didn't, I give Plax as much credit as Moore.

13. Hobbes3259

Like Denver...and Baltimore. Yet...This whole business of denying the obvious, is also a bit tendentious.

The Film doesn't lie. We have trouble with pressure defenses under this entire Tenure.

Now all of a sudden....

14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i would argue that what he does WORST, is create pass plays. even from a pro-shotty standpoint, you cant be happy with:

- pass plays where all 5 guys go out, and run 2 yards short of the first down marker, on hook routes, that leave little chance for YAC

- pass plays where 3 guys are all in the same spot

- pass plays with 1 player running a pattern

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i have long criticized rex for being hands off when it comes to offense and personel. i would much rather have him as DC... im ok with him as HC, because we have MT calling the shots, who i trust. if we brought in a competant OC, id feel fine.

either way, shotty has to go, even if it means rex going to. because we will never be good enough on offense to win under shotty

16. Br4d

The 4and out with a 1st down on the 2 yard line in the 4th quarter. If the Jets score there it's 24-17 Pittsburgh with 7:44 to go. One stop of the Steelers and the Jets, with all the momentum, have the ball beck again for a tie.

Instead they go 4-and-out. Roethlisberger gives up the safety and the Jets have to use up 4 minutes to get within one score, instead of being there at 7:44, leaving Pittsburgh just needing a couple of 1st downs to clinch the game.

17. nyjunc

if they score it is 24-17 and our D would have allowed Pitt to melt the clock and probably kick a FG. Remember they took a knee in FG range to win that game. I think it turned out better we missed b/c we got the safety then scored a quick TD and would have had plenty of time to win the game(rather than tie) if our D doesn't allow Pitt to get 2 1st downs and run out the clock.

Pitt's O pushed around our D all day, they set the tone w/ the long TD drive to open the game. We lost on defense.

18. lamont_jordan_rules

... moore's influence in red zone production can't be questioned ...

... shotty does not play to mark's strengths with rolling out (particularly with hunter's ineptness at RT) the pocket, firing a couple deep shots ... or more screen passes, less before the snap motion garbage ... poor results from scripted plays to start games out ... instead he says this is my system and you will play within its structure ... the top coordinators will adjust their calls to their players ...

... moore being brought on fully for this playoff push is all i ever could have asked for from santa and more! ...

l_j_r

19. Big Blocker

Sanchez flat out sucked in those games. I don't hold it too much against him in the Ravens game, where Baxter started at C. But in the Denver game the Jets were up 10-3 when Sanchez threw a pick six.

And the whole Moore thing is overstated. Moore has been consulting with the Jets since the off season, and you Schotty Haters were complaining plenty about the O until this week.

20. Big Blocker

Wow, Ryan has to go. And as far as never good enough, you realize the Jets went to the last two Champ Games and lost in them because of poor play by the D? Perhaps you didn't watch those games, and have only been reading Brad's posts about them.