Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

It still is worth noting that a few of his throws were complete dogshit into coverage. For whatever reason, he can't get rid of that "yip."

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah Tom Brady looked terrible at times yesterday. Then he committed the sin of yelling at a rookie WR after he threw a pick in the red zone and his OC tore him a new one.

When you're making mistakes on the field and pointing at your teammates? That's leadership. I'm glad we have Sanchez.

#4362 Br4d, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I agree with that...Sanchez certainly can't get comfortable without the OL playing reasonably well.

I'm still not sure that Schotty is the best OC for us though, for reasons mentioned a lot throughout this thread- Penny's performance post Schotty; Favre succeeding in a greatly revamped/simplified Schotty O; Sanchez's improvement after the O was simplified; his inability to make adjustments in game; etc.

Then again, the O does tend to come on strong at the end of seasons and in the playoffs, and he has the confidence of our HC, so I agree that it is unfair that he's criticized when things go bad but given no credit when things go well.

But if Rex wants to ground/pound, he should look for a OC candidate that specializes in that. Maybe someone from the AFC North.

4. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

He does have a habit of yelling at his coaches and tiniest receivers. I wonder if he'd try that shit with Gronkowski. Nah, he'd have to find and then reattach his balls before doing something like that.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well, I have never said I thought Schotty was the "best" OC for the Jets. There's always someone out there who just might be better than anyone else. The real standard is whether moving on to some other specific and available candidate will improve the team. That is in any event a theoretical argument since I don't think the FO has really been looking for someone else.

My take on the discussion about Schotty is that his haters blame him for everything bad and give him no credit for anything good, all the while ignoring that he serves at Ryan's pleasure, and comes back year after year.

I disagree about this Chad business, though. Chad got his first comeback player of the year the first year Schotty was the OC for the Jets. Is that just another case of Schotty getting no credit for anything good? I think it is.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Having to call a timeout on the first play of the game is pretty embarassing.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That was all Tom Moore, we've never done that before but the trick worked luring KC to sleep then attacking w/ a Greene run:)

#4367 nyjunc, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  8. GangGreenTay

GangGreenTay Active Member

Am I the only one who thought that run we did backed up onto our own endzone on 3 and 15 or 16 was dumb? It gave them GREAT field position after the punt and let them score.

9. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

AGREED! The haters have not said a word about what a nice game SCHOTTY called yesterday.

10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you

11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

because he is spineless or clueless. not sure which

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I was impressed with yesterday. The first half was called pretty perfectly. The only thing people like to complain about is the run when we were backed up against our end zone 3rd and long but I thought that was the right call. What happened against the Broncos when our D was dominating. Mark threw a pick 6 in same situation and let them back in the games which ended with us collapsing. Sometimes its better to punt.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

The problem that now exists, from a fans perspective, is that the playcalling now remains a mystery. Who called this play? Who called the majority of the game? Who's going to continue playcalling?

Many fans want to believe it is Tom Moore. I, myself want to believe it is bc of him because of Schotty's past but in reality my best guess is that it is a little bit of both cases.

It is unquestioned that Tom Moore's expansive role has a direct relationship with the offenses success but to the same respect, Schotty's playcalling has also improved.

If the organization parts ways with Schotty this offseason, they must throw everything they have at Tom Moore. I know he is retired, but the guy still loves football, and if by some miracle we get a solid 3 years out of him, I know it will help Sanchez improve drastically.

Whatever has been done the past 2 weeks, has worked. I love all of the screens- it helps this offense so much because it keeps the blitz in check, and also, our Oline is pretty damn athletic so it works favorably (i.e. Mangold blocking 20 yards passed the LOS). I think Keller is still underutilized and is a great mismatch on anyone. I would really like to see him targeted 9+ times vs Philly bc their LBs cant cover for shit.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The slant and go last week was pure Peyton Manning. He has thrown that pass, usually to Reggie Wayne, for years now.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Awesome, ESPN(Clayton) thinks Schitty may be Miami's third choice behind Cowher and somebody else who I can't remember.

16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Please Please PLEASE LET A TEAM BE STUPID ENOUGH TO HIRE BRIAN.:breakdance:

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Cowher
    2. Jeff Fisher
    3. Jon Gruden (Expected to stay with BSPN)

Way below the pecking order: Brian Schottenheimer.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes, Fisher was second and Schitty third.

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read on this board. And that's quite the feat.

I'm not going to waste a lot of time ripping it piece by piece, not when I can nail one specific point so easily.

If he doesn't have the team's respect, why did the offense cheer "Schotty, Schotty" as Brian dropped back and delivered a pass in practice last week, as reported by Manish on Twitter?

Yeah, the team clearly hates the guy and can't wait until he's gone.

Yeah, you're right. It had nothing to do with a defensive collapse.

That's what I've been saying all year. Moore has been around since the preseason, giving weekly input on the schemes and play selection after reviewing film. That has been extensively documented, but why should we let facts interfere with arguments?

Exactly. Of course we have less yards. McKnight was formerly leading the league in return yardage. Obviously if you have less field to cover, you're going to have less total yards.

Again though, let's not let facts get in the way of a good Schotty bashing.

Not to mention Brees still chats with Schotty every week about his upcoming game. You'd think Brees would learn by now that his lack of success is directly attributable to Schotty's awful advice, right?

Exactly.

I do agree that Moore had a more interactive hand yesterday. However, this offense has been playing better for weeks now, and Moore wasn't there every game. While I agree Moore helps, I believe it more likely that the improved play of the OLine and running backs has made a bigger impact than any playcalling.

Right. As I've often stated, if Sanchez gets solid play from his supporting cast, he has the ability to win games. Not just glide along, but win.

To do that though, he needs the line to be solid, which it has been over the past few weeks since Rex challenged them to allow no sacks. He also needs a good rushing attack to grant him the opportunity to execute playaction, which has emerged of late.

Exactly. Knowing that Hunter isn't constantly letting guys beat him or ruining plays with dumb penalties helps. Getting better protection from D'Brick lately helps too. And again, with defenses needing to once again respect the run, it's giving Sanchez the chance to drop back with a bit more time.

Overall execution has improved. Therefore, so has Sanchez.

Right. Are there guys out there better than Schotty? Of course there are. Moore is probably one of them. The problem is, he's happily retired. So the question is, would we find someone who is better than Schottenheimer? That's the question Rex has to answer. Because if you fire BS and it turns out to be a mistake, you're in a lot of trouble.

Good point about Chad and CPotY.

I wouldn't say it was embarrassing. I'd say infuriating. And I lay that one completely on Schottenheimer. It's his responsibility to make sure the personnel is on the field to start the game and on every play.

Terrible job by Schotty there, and I was really scared it spelled doom right from the start. Fortunately, it made no difference whatsoever to the outcome.

You speculate that Moore was calling the game, yet, reporters were tweeting during and immediately after the game that Moore was not calling plays.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Schotty is not stupid enough to inherit that mess.

They have no QB. Period.