Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I am proud to say I am firmly in this camp as well

2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

\
    I bet you schotty feels the same way about Sanchez. Just because he makes a good throw once in a while...........

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

In 2000 Dan Henning was the OC, Weis was in NE.

It's not always black and white.

2006 got Chad after 2 shoulder surgeries
    2007 Chad got hurt week 1
    2008 got Favre a month before season
    2009 had a raw rookie he is still developing
    2010 Sanchez took a big step forward
    2011 sanchez takes step bakc due to OL issues not OC issues.

4. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

he is a bad OC but he isnt going anywhere so we mine as well just accept that

5. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I do not see why people say that Sanchez took a big step forward in year 2 and a big step backwards in year 3. He is playing largely the same idiotic football at times and great football at others. He is very inconsistent.

6. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

So who would you like to see replace him that's actually a good OC and will get the Jets to the top of the hill?

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he was much better a year ago, his #s are better now but it's not about the #s.

8. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Schotty:
    2nd and 1 - PASS
    3rd and 1 - PASS

Punt

That has the worst play call of the game, especially with the offense reeling.

9. Mason

Mason New Member

Are you surprised? I don't think anyone should be surprised at this idiot's play calling anymore.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Brad apparently doesn't follow the Jets that closely. He doesn't know that Chad in 07 and Favre in the last third of 08 were injured.

Maybe one of you Schotty haters can clue him in so he will stop embarassing himself.

11. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

maybe if your QB wouldn't overthrow a wide open receiver by 3 feet it wouldn't be reeling...but yeah let's blame the OC the QB can't complete a pass and is inconsistent from play to play

12. Trifco

Trifco New Member

My complains:
    He tries to outsmart evrybody by going with the less logical play, like passing against a bad running defense team or viceversa, running when the pass is working or viceversa; calling short yardage plays when you need more (i.e. 3rd and long), and so on (insisting on plays that haven't worked and dropping plays that have been succesful).

When people complain that he's too predictable I think the predictability of his calls have to do with the formation, not on the call itself AND sometimes on the plays where he could try something different.

13. Big Blocker

Here's another one where Brad is calling out for help here by you guys. Won't someone tell him Hackett never went to the AFC Champ game with the Jets?

14. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

Weiss was also stripped of playcalling duties by Parcells...Not sure which year(s)

15. Big Blocker

At least I give you credit for recognizing there is a contradiction inside the Schotty Haters camp. Some say he's too predictable, some that he's too "cute." They can't both be right, or can they?

Well, we have this latest "insight" that it has to do with the formation. Do you think the Jets only run one type of play out of each formation? How much predictability do you think opposing defenses gather out of the formation itself?

I must say I have never heard this particular criticism before. That's what a judge would call a "novel theory" in a courtroom, and it is not meant as a compliment.

" sometimes on the plays where he could try something different"

I am sure you thought you were making a real insight here, but I must be missing something. "He could have tried something different!"

Like what?

16. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

IF AT FIRST ...: The game-changing play was Mark Sanchez's 30-yard TD pass to Santonio Holmes with 4:49 remaining. Look closely and you will see the Jets ran the same exact play moments earlier, but Sanchez couldn't get the ball to Holmes because of a slot blitz by CB Kevin Barnes.

On third-and-4 from the Redskins' 45, Sanchez looked for Holmes on a slant-and-go, using a pump/shoulder fake to bait the defender, but he had to abort when Barnes came in clean. Sanchez demonstrated his improv ability, sliding in the pocket and flipping a 10-yard pass to RB Shonn Greene.

Obviously, coordinator Brian Schottenheimer felt really good about the slant-and-go because, one play later, he called it again. They used the same personnel grouping (three WRs) and the same formation, with Sanchez in shotgun. This time, the Redskins didn't blitz and CB Josh Wilson bit hard on the double move (and Sanchez's fake), allowing Holmes to get wide open.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/9387/game-review-inside-the-jets-victory

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Why is a running team constantly going empty backfield in short yardage pass/run situations? Why not have our kind of short QB take deeper drops with a running back in to protect him more so he can actually see down the field? We have a short QB taking short drops and working close in with empty backfields all the time. Maybe if he could see down the field he could throw down the field rather than across it?

18. Trifco

Trifco New Member

no, I don't pretend to be bringing some special insight to the situation; I'm saying almost the same things I've said before but with different words.
    You dismissed the first paragraph of my post, which is the things I see wrong with Schotty, not much beyond that, I don't think he's the worst OC or something like that, but I still think he's to blame for those things.

Now I agree that there's a contradiction saying he's too cute and he's too predictable, so I just tried to understand why is that: my reasoning is that he usually uses very obvious formations that give away what will he do -this's been a complain from many people so it's not a novelty.

By the plays he could try something different I meant that it's not the same trying something different in 1st or 2nd down than in 3rd, or at midfield than in both red zones, or when the offense is not working than when they're in rhythm.

19. Big Blocker

I myself criticized the pass play on third and one, but I take issue with your assessment that the Jets "constantly" go empty backfield in short yardage. And I see backs in for pass blocking, too.

As for the short v. long drops, there are probably two things at work. One is that the CS thinks Sanchez has accuracy issues that are amplified on long pass plays. This imo is still a huge issue for Sanchez, one I unfortunately do not see much recent improvement on, even if his judgment has been better. For example, did you realize he was only one of ten for pass attempts longer than 10 yards before the TD to Holmes? Why call for a play with more time to throw when you really don't want your Qb throwing down field because he's inaccurate?

THe second is a more historical reason going back to the recent period where the Jets pass protection was poor. As many here suggested, one way to bea the pass rush is get the ball out there quicker, and they did seem to go more to shorter drops. And he STILL was holding on to it too long.

However I do see improvement on the latter problem, as the OL's protection has improved. So maybe we will see them going to some more deeper drops. But why they seem to prefer shorter drops I don't think is hard to figure.

20. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member