Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

should probably avoid calling a pass on your first play from scrimmage inside your own 5(or maybe 10, doesnt make it any better) against the one of the best defenses in the league with a line that has been having issues. just might see a blitz on first down...

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Ohh so then when we run 2 times and punt you guys can go nuts screaming "why are we so conservative!".

3. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I don't even have to post its like you say everything I am about to. No matter what he does people hate him. When he calls great games no one gives him any credit and when something fails its immediately his fault. I have had my problems with Schottenheimer but I know enough not the blame every misfire on him. Hindsight is 20 20.

4. nyjunc

I see you and a couple of others that we are on the same page w/ this topic.

Brian has his faults w/o a doubt and he deserves his share of the blame but it's nonsense to blame every failure on him then give credit to everyone but him when we do well. I like him but more importantly Rex and the Jets like him so barring something crazy he'll be around for a while and that's good for this team.

5. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

no you are right, it was so smart calling the play he did that it took ed reed a total of 2.5 seconds to strip mark and cause a defensive touchdown. theres no way anybody would have been content with a conservative series deep in our endzone against the ravens.

6. nyjunc

Most fans sway in the wind, the perception now is the OC is the problem so everyone will blame him. You guys will criticize for any play that doesn't work even if it is a good play that was poorly executed.

7. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

so you are still saying that passing on your first play backed up into your own endzone, in a 0-0 game no less, is a good play?

this is just one instance but regardless schotty is a guy that has made maybe 70/30 bad calls to good. just cause a guy makes a couple good calls every blue moon doesnt mean he is worth shit. hell give anyone enough tries theyll get it right at least a few times

8. Milliner is your Mommy

Ed Reed went unblocked because the O line was completely out of sync without Mangold. Nick coordinates the O line and without him everyone looked lost. Can't blame the OC for someone coming unblocked on the blind side. I think everyone in the Stadium knew Reed was blitzing. That was just horribly executed blocking.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When there's blood in the water the sharks will start circling. That there's blood in the water is what starts the process, not that there are sharks in the vicinity.

10. nyjunc

I think it can be if executed properly, most teams would expect us to come out running so if executed properly it's a good call.

11. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

It's funny. All these years the Jets haven't won a Super Bowl, I wonder if it's because we have consistently had bad offensive coordinators? Someone above said this and I'll say it in my own way; if the Jets think he can do the job and is doing a competent enough job, then I'll trust them because anyone on that team knows more about football than I do. I'm willing to bet more than anyone here, hence the reason they are where they are. But there is that possibility that some here could be better OC's than Brian....pity we'll never find out.

12. nyjunc

The reason we lost in the last 2 title games was b/c of our defense not our offense.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, maybe he should have but never has been. Now he is and that doesn't bode well for Schitty at all. He is obviously no longer trusted to call the offense on his own..the fact Tom Moore has been on the sidelines more and more is another strong sign things are no longer being taken for granted...but you can read it any way you like, we all see it differently.

14. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

So tell me again why there are 4,000 + posts on this board of back and forth about our OC and how much he should stay or go.

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Because our Defense is consistently better then our Offense. Has nothing to do with the fact our Defense blew it in both Championship games.

16. Milliner is your Mommy

You're right it doesn't look good for him but at the same time Tom Moore is an amazing offensive mind and I think all teams would love to hear what he has to say. Im hoping that Schotty can learn from him and keep using that knowledge after his gone because its hard to argue with the #1 redzone TD%. Im not here to argue Schotty is perfect I am just going to argue that he is not half as bad as a lot of people claim. Sometimes the players just have to execute.

17. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

I like stability. They guy has been here since the Mangini/Pennington era. Clearly, the Jets see something in the dude to keep him around that long. You generally don't hold on to something that works to your detriment that badly unless the people running the Jets are just being blindly loyal to our OC for some unforeseen reason.

18. Milliner is your Mommy

Thats how I feel too. Let the people smarter then me make the football decisions. I find it hard to believe an organization that has been more than willing to fire coaches would hold onto Schotty if he was so terrible. Im hoping he and Mark can grow together and keep improving the offense.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is how the Jet's offensive progression has gone over the last 14 years:

1997 - Neil O'Donnel/Charlie Weis

1998 - Vinny Testaverde/Charlie Weis

1999 - Ray Lucas/Charlie Weis

2000 - Vinny Testaverde/Charlie Weis

2001 - Vinny Testaverde/Paul Hackett

2002 - Chad Pennington/Paul Hackett

2003 - Chad Pennington/Paul Hackett

2004 - Chad Pennington/Paul Hackett

2005 - Brooks Bollinger/Paul Heimerdinger

2006 - Chad Pennington/Brian Schottenheimer

2007 - Chad Pennington-Kellen Clemens/Brian Schottenheimer

2008 - Brett Favre/Brian Schottenheimer

2009 - Mark Sanchez/Brian Schottenheimer

2010 - Mark Sanchez/Brian Schottenheimer

2011 - Mark Sanchez/Brian Schottenheimer

The question is why we're looking at the 6th season of Brian Schottenheimer, when similar results got Paul Hackett canned after 4?

20. nyjunc

2 reasons:

1) We are a defensive team first and our D is the better unit of the 2.

2) B/c that is what most fans do, they whine about the OC when things don't go right. It is a typical fan response.