Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

I don't like to complain after a win, but if I really wanted to I could pick out a number of instances of poor play calling by Schotty in this game. But it's not just that. It's the actual design of the plays, especially the route running on the pass plays. Often it seems like plays are designed for one guy only with no viable second or third option or the routes are too close together or the protections are poorly designed. One of the thing that drives me nuts is the way we always...ALWAYS start out in bunch sets that allow the opposing D to stack the box. Then we run plays right into the thick of it. In fact, they seem to do a lot better when they start to spread the field a bit. Backs start finding holes, the D backs off the blitz, Sanchez has time to throw, things start clicking. But we never start out that way.

2. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

How about when he finally goes to the no-huddle to try to get things going, and still is slow getting the play calls in, and almost every time the Jets snap the ball the clock is almost at 0. Talk about predictable. How about snapping the ball at different points in the count to catch opposing Ds' off balance? One of the advantages of running the no-huddle is snapping the ball quickly, catching opponents off-guard, and preventing them from substituting. BS takes that advantage away. He's simply amazing.

3. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Damning evidence exhibit # 472 tonight on Sirius Radio NFL network immediately following the game. Ladianian Thomlinso is being interviewed and gives special credit to Schotty for getting the plays in faster tonight. No shit, it was like the 2nd complement he could come up with.

Just goes to show you, Schotty is ill prepared and really sorta clueless out there.

4. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

You're right, but you're also (?inadvertently) excusing the pisspoor playcalling.

This past week (or the week before), I think the Packers played without BOTH of their starting Tackles. I know it's ludicrous to compare Sanchez to Rodgers and the Jets Offense to the Packers Offense, but my point is, Green Bay still ran their Offense effectively, despite a debilitated OL.

Even when our OL is at the full-strength, the play-selections are terrible; that razzle-dazzle in which Tomlinson was gonna throw back to Sanchez is one of the worst plays called at one of the worst moments I've seen in a long time. I have no idea how that playcall can be condoned.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I would have been impressed if he went no huddle on the second drive instead after like consecutive 3 and outs.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This sounds like Schotty is calling the plays as they are about to be run. An offensive coordinator has to be ahead of the game state. He should know what play is coming next before the ball is snapped on the play that he relayed to the QB with 40 seconds on the play clock.

If he's really picking the play after he sees the last play run then he's not doing his job. That would explain why the play clock always winds down low and Sanchez looks so harried when he's checking out of a play to the next option.

7. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Schotty has to go. This win had nothing to do with his playcalling.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

obviously. When we win and have sucess on O it's in spite of him, when we struggle it's all the OCs fault. Did you see those plays he called in the 1st half? Who calls plays to throw 20 yds over receivers heads? Only Brian Schottenheimer!

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Come on junc. We lead the league in three and outs. Someone's got to be responsible for this mess and its not the talent. Its the design.

10. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

What bothers me the most are the notorious slow starts. Is this a chicken and egg thing here, is it Schotty or Sanchez?

Sanchez has been bleh too. He was awful last night for long stretches. The offense was absolutely putrid for half the game. That isn't going to work any longer.

12. nyjunc

Did you see our QB throwing the ball through much of the 1st half, was that scheme, playcalling? I realize we must bash the OC for everything that goes wrong(then never give him credit when things go right) but can we please look at this logically?

The only thing I didn't like as far as playcalling was the attempted halfback pass on 3rd and 4.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

POS Offense against a POS defense, AT HOME, and we still hold true to form on offense for 2011. Not only have I lost faith in Schotty, but Sanchez is beginning to look shakey even against the defensively challenged teams too. Even with the playoff wins, I'm not so sure Sanchez will be the QB that leads this team to its next SB appearance.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The thing is, I expect our offense to be designed so that our QB is asked to make some throws he's actually good at. Two games in a row with no first downs in the first quarter? Is this guy your dad? The playcalling flat out sucks and the team is starting to play like they want him fired.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

This has been my main gripe as well...... the route formations are to "tricky" and basically creating traffic jams that lead to INTs, and not just with Sanchez. (granted Sanchez throwing over or behind his WRs doesn't help)

The SLOOOOW starts: I know alot of OCs script their first several plays / series. Does anyone else think this is a big contributor to the horrible 1st qtr offensive production? Seems like they're similar scripted plays and not ones to attack the weakness of the opponent.

16. nyjunc

we can call any play we want, if the players aren't executing they won't work. mark was wild through most of the first half missing some eeasy throws.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I thought Schotty has gotten the line to play well, finally. It was Hunter's best game this year by far, which is very promising. Slauson still is average at best, but I felt Moore also held his own, when he has been doing something less than that up until now. Maybe Holmes got him fired up. Heh.

Ferguson missed a block on that sweep left, but mostly played well. Mangold was the best. Nice key block on the sneak, and the rush attempts up the gut were at least doing no worse than the off tackles.

Connor had some good plays aside from the penalty. And Holmes, while only having three catches, showed his talent on the late TD.

But no one else on O impressed me. Sanchez's accuracy was worse than collegiate early in the game. He's a pro QB??? Greene picked up some yards, and I concede he's playing hard, but his ypc was still below 4. LT was meh. Burress continues to disappoint, and Keller only had two catches. Kerley and McKnight are, well, promising in the O, but not yet solid contributors.

That fake play on 3rd down was hideously bad. Did that actually work in pratice??? Was the D on the field when they practiced it? You have to wonder.

In short other than that ridiculous play call most problems on O were on execution. I frankly thought when they finally got it going, Miami's D stopped playing as well as they had early. In other words it was more a poor opponent than a good game from the O.

And while mostly that's on the players, other than the OL, I do blame Schotty for his role in the overall CS-FO effort on the offense side of the ball.

The OL's performance is at least a sign that things on O are improving, and it's nice to have a win. But against a 0-5 team that killed itself by throwing that red zone pick six to Revis (dumb dumb dumb), The O was overall not impressive at all, and Schotty shares some of that blame.

But news to the Schotty Haters - most of the blame goes elsewhere.

18. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

i dont know how the hell you can defend schotty after that game? he scored 2 tds and a field goal against one of the worst teams in the league. he started out the game with 3 three and outs and one 4 play drive.

plax dropped a couiple balls, mark made a bunch of bad throws, the line played well (callahan gets credit for that, if you didnt realize he was the line coach...)

the worst part about the game though, was how much our defense was on the goddamn field. they played an outstanding game given the circumstances, but this game shouldnt have been close. the offense has gotten really bad, and are now a liability.

i saw mark talking to rex before the game on tv, and you could see rex say 'lets just fucking win this game' and mark stopped talking. the offense has no fucking balls at all and it shows. nobody feels confident. somebody needs to take over and change the offense big time.

19. nyjunc

:rofl: I love it, so when the Ol plays poorly the OC gets blames but when the Ol plays better it's b/c of the OC.

Our O was on the field longer than our D.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You suffer from two maladies. The first is you don't read very well. The second is you suffer from an inability to do anything other than binary analysis.

When the OL sucked, you were on here complaining on and on about Schotty. Now they have a good game and ALL the credit goes to Callahan? Nice consistent analysis.

Ftr I blame Callahan and Schotty for the poor OL play earlier, and credit both for the improvement. In the real world, things are seldom all either this or that. You don't seem to understand that. Binary thinking. THat would be you.

And I still criticized Schotty for the mediocre overall play by the O. You missed that, too.

Ftr, I thought the O played marginally better than the D, but not by much. The D was giving up HUGE yardage to the f'ing Miami Dolphags in the first quarter. If they were gassed then they do not work out enough.