Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Agreed...and to think...One bad call from 4-0....

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What Schotty had game one was a young QB overwhelmed by a strong aggressive defense and the demands of the system he was playing in on the day. If Schotty had simplified things at halftime the Jets probably win that game. He makes some good adjustments at halftime but he can also be blind as a bat and that's what happened in the first game.

If I never see that ballet school before the snap again it will be too soon.

3. Hobbes3259

^ qft............

4. tubby

tubby Active Member

I thought he called a great game but that Brad Smith TD to Keller really pissed me off. You're up big against an inferior opponent, don't show a play you can use down the stretch against a good team in a close game. I just felt like that wasn't necessary.

5. Hobbes3259

Ummm...The fact that the Jills secondary played like $#!T doesn't help us against a good team in a close game.

6. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Who says it doesn't work again? And even if it doesn't, you've just caused every opposing DC in the league to waste ANOTHER hour of preparation time on Brad Smith for the rest of the season.

7. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Yeah, the same situation may not arise against a good team later on. In any case, it's better to let Smith throw one in a real game situation so that he gets a feel for it, and can be ready to do so again later on. Plus it puts in the mind of those later, better, opponents that if Smith gets the ball on the goalline, he might throw, making them more uneasy.

8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I absolutely agree with this entire post. You know I'm a big Schotty fan, but this is exactly where we went wrong in the Baltimore game. (Well, that and the plethora of penalties.)

FTR, we still use a lot of motion, but not multiple players and not every play. It's now a very good mix, IMO.

Actually, this was my favorite play of the game.

It was actually funny because before they lined up I turned to my son and said "They should do a Wildcat play right here." Then I saw Sanchez line up out wide and was like "OH SHIT!"

This play was genius. It did a number of things.

1) As was said, it introduced a new wrinkle that teams have to account for in planning from now on. Brad Smith is now a threat to throw, and we will have an additional weapon in the receiving game beginning Monday night.

2) Got us an additional score which helped to put the game out of reach.

3) Showed the league that the Jets now have the mentality that we will keep taking it to you until the last whistle. There is no more of this "prevent" bullshit we had in the past couple of regimes where we'd sit back on a decent lead and risk evaporating it.
    -----------

Did anyone see Sanchez run to the sideline to give Schotty five on his way to celebrate with his teammates. I'm pretty sure he didn't say "Schotty you suck" too.

Schotty when not out-thinking himself is a great offensive coordinator. Not good. Great.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

why do you think he's so infuriating?

When the cute bullshit goes out the window, the offense has always flourished. Look at weeks 1-3 last year. The offense was simple and it did very, very well. I thought week 2 against the Pats last year was one of Schotty's best called games ever.

Then he just puts his head in his penis and it drives me nuts.

He's been very consistent lately, and I think Sanchez is the one requesting a lot of that shit being removed, because he can run this offense now. He's a true leader.

10. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Well I think these last few weeks go a long way to proving my point that Schotty just needs someone to tell him to cut the crap out of his gameplan. We have seen a few reverses and some wildcat but other than that nothing cute. We are all kidding ourselves if we are gonna think that Schotty hasn't drawn up any cute shit for these last 3 games. Rex telling him not to run the double reverse pass to Sanchez is all he needed.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I still can't quite figure how so many here seem to think Ryan does not know what plays BS is planning on calling before the game. I seriously doubt Ryan goes to the game saying "I wonder what Brian is going to do today?"

If Ryan didn't want "the double reverse pass to Sanchez" before the Ravens game, he could have said so, no?

12. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I could swear I read this somewhere in the last week or two... something about him trying to send in extra plays at the line or something and Sanchez asking if they get rid of the "kills", or the plays that end up not getting used.

Using some motion is fine... nothing wrong with that. But when your WR, RB, FB, and TE all look like they are do si do'in in the backfield and the QB tapping his foot to keep time with the music, its a bit much.

13. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Right, but by his own admission he wasn't as involved with the offense going into week one. I assume he knew what the gameplan was but it doesn't seem like he really critiqued it beforehand. What I envision going on now is that Rex and Schotty get together on Saturday and Rex tells him what plays he needs to totally forget about for the coming game.

14. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying every time Schotty call some cutesy play that backfires, it's really Rex fault for not telling Schotty to cut it out of the playbook beforehand?

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yes, I get it. The anti-Schotty contingent firmly believes that it's either Rex or Sanchez telling Schotty how to call games, and that's the entire reason for the offense's success. :rolleyes:

It couldn't be that Rex said one time, "Hey Brian, all that motion is messing with the cadence, maybe we should cut down on it" and Schottenheimer saying "Okay, we won't do so much pre-snap motion then."

No one wants to give Schottenheimer an ounce of credit. It's stunning, really. When the offense is dominating it's either Rex or Sanchez. When it fails, it's all Schotty.

It's unreal just how irrational otherwise great posters can be when it comes to Schotty. He has had times where he's gotten too cute and it blows up in his face. Otherwise, he's been nothing short of a genius playcaller. That's not Sanchez performing despite him. And the only thing Rex has done has been tell him "Okay, that shit's too cute, don't do that."

16. cat50

cat50 New Member

I'll give Shotty credit where it's due...we're improving on 3rd down because we are keeping it simple...short patterns to Keller, flares to LT etc...

The guy is often infuriating tho...we go 7 up and are running 7/8 yards a carry and two drives in a row he calls chancy passing plays...sometimes it's too obvious for him and he beats himself trying to be too smart. That game was over by HT yesterday if he ran it until they stopped us and avoided the 2nd and longs.

Overall he's improving...the Ravens debacle is still fresh in the memory though. I don't think people enjoy bashing for the sake of it...occassionally he deserves the criticism

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

There were times in the Bills game I thought he got a little cute instead of just slamming the ball down the Bills throats, but overall the past 3 games Schottenheimer has really been calling some great games, I must admit. I have never been a fan of this guy, but he does deserve credit the past few weeks.

18. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I don't think that's entirely true. The problem is Schotty has never coached a consistently good offense (though I realize circumstances play a part here) and he does have a habit of calling fancy plays at inopportune times. So, even if our offense has looked great for 2 or 3 games, people aren't ready to jump on the BS bandwagon just yet.

Most people admit he's a smart guy, but calling him a "genius playcaller" is going a little too far. He has a lot of potential and if he is able to put an offense on the field that plays like ours has for the last 3 games (and he should, considering the talent they have), then he will get the credit he deserves. Until he does that, he doesn't deserve a whole lot of praise.

19. sg3

sg3 Banned

great game called by Brian yesterday. Unfortunately, he will be leaving the Super Bowl Champion New York Jets in 2011 to become a Head Coach in the NFL, a position he must assuredly deserves. Thankfully we have Bill Callahan ready to step in at that time at OC

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Ravens game aside... he's well on the way to coaching one this year. We're going to lose some games over the course of the season... its crazy to think otherwise and I doubt he's the reason for all of them. I think we'll all end up having to give him a lot more credit in the end. Personally, doesn't bother me one bit to be wrong on this.. cause at least it will mean we'll be winning a lot more! :)