Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

One other maddening thing with this guy- he never goes out of his way to exploit opposing teams' weaknesses.

Think back to the Colts AFC Championship game from a few years ago. Drew Coleman was tasked to shadow the 3rd and 4th receiving options for the Colts. What did Peyton do? He threw at Coleman and the other sub-par backups on nearly every other passing play, and in return they were handed the game.

You never, ever, see Shitforbrains go this route.

2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

This is where Schotty's apologists tell you that a lot of that is on Rex's conservative approach and having a rookie QB, and then they will tell you that calling a double pitch reverse inside your own twenty was the right call to make in that situation.

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

OK and what are the excuses on why he didn't so this with Manginius at the helm?

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You are assuming a ton, how do you know the game plays out the same if we do score in the 1st qtr/ not to mention we usually areb kicking off so that is one less possession in the 1st qtr- do you think that has anything to do w/ it?

So you think that was tom Moore and not some guy named Peyton Manning?

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

He actually did the one year he had a pretty healthy Pennington. Since then he has had injured Chad, Kellen Clemens, Brett Favre refusing to learn the playbook, and a developing sanchez. He loses about 90% of the Sanchez excuse this year.

When you look at his time with the jets he has been dealing with different qb issues since he got here.

6. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Uh. Uh. Because the double reverse toss option looks cooler on film than just throwing at a shitty cover guy?

7. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

One or both- doesn't matter. Whether it was Moore or Manning, either/both of them had the balls to go after our weak links. Our illustrious OC would never consider such a thing.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

correct answer. Manning.

Running Moore's offense for himself.

They key is Sanchez getting rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds early.

Negate the DL play.

9. nyjunc

You are exactly right.

2007 Chad got hurt week 1 and he had Clemens start half the season
    2008 got Favre a month before the season in a new system for the 1st time since 1991.
    2009 rookie Sanchez, got Braylon a month into the season.
    2010 2nd yr QB developing nicely.

This is the year I expect this offense to take a big step forward. brian has done a good job especially considering the circumstances.

Manning is a HOF QB, comparing an O led by him to one led by a rookie/2nd yr QB is completely unfair.

10. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

So, an opposing CB is more cerebral than our own OC? Nice!

11. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

And what are your excuses for all of the other years?

12. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

With all due respect, you're fighting an uphill battle. Just face it. There are people on this site that refuse to say anything negative about anyone within the organization. I think it's common sense. If Schottenheimer was any good, Ryan wouldn't have to make public statements that he isn't going to be fired, immediately after the season is over. Even if he had the potential to become a good coordinator, the bottom line is, he's been afforded way too much time to prove himself. I don't know too many coaches that would get as many chances to produce and prove themselves. I can see some people being biased and supporting him in hopes things turn around. However, to call criticism of Schotty "senseless", is absurd. There is more than enough logical reason to be disappointed with our offense. We start EVERY game off slow.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

A ground and pound team emphasizes field position, since the concept is balanced by the D holding the other team from scoring. All other things being equal such an approach will be less likely to see scoring early in the game, and hopefully that is true of the opponent as well. That's the concept, and must be factored in when complaints about lack of first quarter scoring come up.

However, I don't think that totally absolves the O. A ground and pound attack should be able to move the ball or it is not good for much.

This is a critical year for BS, I agree. He is not solely responsible for how well MS does, but the whole CS must be viewed as responsible to a large extent for MS's performance. Execution by the O will be affected by some personnel issues on the line, getting Mason and Burress into the O, how well Greene does. But it's going to be mostly about whether MS improves and the CS, with BS primarily responsible, game plans effectively enough to allow MS to succeed.

I can't recall the last time the question of a Qb's development was more critical to the team. and that's not just because this is MS's third year. I don't want to go nuts with the following concept, but the whole approach of the FO the last few years, which is surrounding the core group of players with talented vets, all built to carry a young Qb, with emphasis on the D, will be called into question if the Qb doesn't provide a minimum level of performance necessary.

And ftr I am focusing here more on the regular season and the hoped for better seeding in the playoffs. I recognize the argument can be made that it was not so much MS who let the team down the last two years in the Champ Games. It's over the course of the season we should be thinking about, and let's face it - BS has a huge responsibility to deliver in that regard this year.

If the effort falls short, and there is as much competition this year as in any recent year, so it will be tough, but if the team falls short, it may not be all BS's fault, but it will be his in large part.

#2433 Big Blocker, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  14. nyjunc

I'm not one of those people, I'm also not one of the whiners who needs someone to blame when things are perceived to have gone wrong. No matter who the OC is we will see the same whining, it comes down to execution. There is a reason Brian is well regarded around the league, only whiny jet fans cannot see it.

15. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Yea....his dad!

16. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

The guy at the deli also holds him in high regard.

17. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

i'm with junc on this one. he's a very good offensive mind in the nfl. he's gotten requests for interviews (granted buffalo, still more than you or I). we're a bit too close to the issue to be perfectly even in judgement.

sure i'll be saying at least once during the season that he needs to go, but the fact is he is one of the leagues brightest young minds. just bc you don't agree with a call or two in a game doesn't change that fact.

18. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

He coached Drew Brees and that translates to having some kind of midas touch for QB's. People also disregard the impact Doug Flutie had on Drew's development.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The part about not saying anything negative extends to those critical of BS who refuse to acknowledge the fact that BS has been retained now three years in a row by Ryan. Meaning they refuse to acknowledge that Ryan disagrees with their negative assessment of BS. They refuse to criticize Ryan.

In other words, if BS were half as bad as his critics here say he is, either Ryan is a moron for not getting rid of BS, or Ryan is right not to share the disdain critics here have for BS.

I have yet to see a Schotty flamer acknowledge that Ryan is ultimately responsible, and as such their beef is really with Ryan. But no one here seems willing to criticize Ryan for retaining BS.

Closely related to this point is how much of the specifics of what BS does in game planning reflects Ryan's own input and opinions. Again, you can't have it both ways. Either Ryan chooses for reasons he thinks are adequate not to have input, or he does and the net result is something he shares responsibility with BS for.

Again, I never hear any Schotty critic acknowledge this, either.

Having said all that I do not think BS is above criticism. I just think he's not near as bad as some here suggest, and in any event he is Ryan's choice as OC. So unless you want to criticize Ryan, I think there's only so far you can go in dumping on BS and BS alone.

20. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

wait, so if i hate schotty, i have to hate rex too? say it ain't so!??!?

for reals, great post.