Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

So all the games this year when Sanchez threw 35+ times, none of it was ever out of a 4WR set??? Really? Thats fascinating.

2. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Saying the Jets should be using the gameplan the Packers used assumes a QB who is capable of executing the gamplan. Nobody would debate that Rodgers is better than Sanchez that is obvious. It is also obvious that Sanchez isn't close enough to Rodgers ability to run the same gameplan that he did.

3. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

I give up lol. Apparentely throwing post routes over the middle is something only top 5 Qbs can do. And apparently the Jets are not allowed to use 3-4WR sets during a game reguardless if they have the talent or if it attacks a glaring weakness in the opposition.

:breakdance:

4. jets fool

jets fool New Member

Of course they've lined up with four receivers plenty of times this season this is the nfl but its never been our base like the packers almost have four wiide on any given play. Point is a day after the superbowl its pretty easy to say wow our OC sucks why didn't he just do what they did. That's just weak. We played jets football and came up a little short this season. The packers offense worked for the packers, it may or may not have worked for us against pittsburgh.

5. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Dude apparently you haven't been reading. I quoted myself from two weeks ago saying exactly what GreenBay was going to do which is copying the NE blueprint on how to beat the Steelers D. This isn't a knee jerk reaction to OMG why didn't we do this, this was I told you so.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is exactly what the issue is, I know rapzilla has a good point but the schemes are different, and MS at this point in his career struggles in the 4 receiver set, he is awesome in the 3 receiver set with a rb in the BF, but at this point he just cannot carry the offense the way Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc..does.

The Jets tried coming out in a 4 receiver set 2 minute offense vs the Pats when they were hammered 45-3, it's not their game at this point and truthfully I don't want the Jets to become a passing team, I want balance as was mentioned before.

The Jets have been to the AFCCG with the ground and pound a good defense and a mediocre passing offense, if the Jets can improve a little in the passing offense not only will they make it to the SB but they will win the SB.

7. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

If your plan is so easy then why doesn't every team do it against the Steelers regardless of their ability to effectively run it? Any WR can run a post route just like any QB can throw one right? Maybe we should send a memo to every NFL team about how they have been missing such an obvious and easy plan against the Steelers?

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah ground n pound works when you have a nasty defense which we didn't have this year. As long as we have Greene and the o line we'll be able to run the ball. I'm just saying all the top defenses in the league can stop the run (baltimore, pitt, gb etc) and those are the types of teams you gotta beat in the postseason.

If you look at the past 3 sb winners, the offensive game plan was completely centered around the qb. Same thing with the losing teams. Sanchez will be entering year 3 in the league and will presumably be year 3 in the same o system. I think this is the year we give him more responsibility.

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah its not easy but the formula is there...protect the qb and spread em out like we did in the second half when we should have scored 20-24 points in that half.

10. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I agree with you to some extent vis-a-vis scrapping the "ground and pound" thing. After all, for all their chest thumping about being exactly that this year, they weren't in the least. They were more of a finesse running team, and then were often quick to abandon the run in favor of the pass. The Jets have to decide what their offensive philosophy is gonna be.

First of all, if they're truly gonna be a "ground and pound" offense, then they have to commit to that and Greene has to be the starter, NOT LT. Second, there is no need for both Edwards and Holmes if they're gonna be running the ball 60-70% of the time. One of them, Cotchery, Keller and capable 3rd WR will do just fine. To have two topflight WRs on a team that runs the ball most of the time is a luxury the Jets can't afford with 17 FAs and their other shortcomings/needs. Three, they have to change their blocking schemes back to as they were in 2009. In 2010, they changed their blocking schemes from more of a power blocking scheme to more of a finesse or zone blocking scheme. They may need to upgrade some of the OL positions as well, as most of these guys are not maulers.

If they're going to try to run a more balanced attack to keep opponents off balance, great, but shut up with the "ground and pound" crap, and do a better job of setting up the opposing D, and keeping them off balance. Do a better job of gameplanning to attack their weaknesses. Drop the plays that don't work (like the Cotcher WR reverses). Have Brad Smith (or whoever runs the wildcat) next season, run to the left, or maybe even throw the ball. He was a darned good college QB after all.

If they're gonna seek to be a pass first team, that's fine too. After all, if my memory is correct, no team with the league's leading rusher has won the SB recently. The teams that have won it have all had outstanding QB play (think Manning, Brady and Brees) and great passing offenses. They have the weapons, at least in terms of the receivers now if they can keep them all. They just need to do a better job of pass protection, get Sanchez up to snuff on reading Ds, making quicker and better decisions, and GREATLY improve his accuracy. While they're at it, they probably better upgrade the S position with a player or players who are ball hawks. When you pass a lot, you're gonna throw picks and you have to be able to get the ball back via TO. Cromartie had only 3 and Revis had zilch, dropping a gift-wrapped one in the playoffs.

Personally, I'm in favor of the middle ground, the balanced attack. I think it's the most realistic in terms of where Sanchez is in his development as a pro QB, it's where they are in terms of offensive personnel. They won't have to change personnel or blocking schemes, just execute better, and find a way to sign both Holmes and Edwards after signing Harris.

The one big problem with whatever philosophy they adopt is Schottenheimer. Unless he learns from his mistakes and improves greatly, I think their offense will always struggle at times, and Rex will have his work cut out for him to deliver a SB winner for the Jets.

11. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I don't know about winning a ring next year, not with all the starters and key role players that are UFAs, with Schottenheimer running the offense, and with Tanny running the draft, I don't have a lot of confidence that they can get it done.

As you said getting the lead first can be huge, and I'm not sure that Rex buys into that philosophy or even if he does, that Schottenheimer will be capable of producing that.

We had a balanced (run vs. the pass) offense this year, and it was very spotty. Some games they did very well, other games, the offense was "offensive" to say the least.

I want them to get the early lead and then commit to the running game. To be clear, I don't want them to go too conservative, or stop being aggressive, but I do like controlling the TOP and the clock. That puts a lot of pressure on opposing offenses and makes our D even better. This team should have more than just one game where one of their RBs rushed for 100 yards or more.

I agree that Sanchez will probably throw more and more as he progresses. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, will depend upon whether his accuracy improves, whether he continues to go into funks for halfs or games, and Schottenheimer's play calling improves.

I think Sanchez' ability to read Ds, his decision making, the speed at which he makes decisions will all improve. I'm not so sure about his accuracy or his mental frame of mind. When the chips are down he often can rally himself from it and lead comebacks. but not always. Everyone has bad days, but he seems to sulk or go into a shell at times. As the team leader, he cannot do that. Schottenheimer has to monitor and help Sanchez with this. He has to do more to help Sanchez get into a rhythm early in games to build his confidence and get the offense flowing.

Did you hear the announcers say in the SB that Mike McCarthy's first goal in a game is to get Rodgers into a rhythm, get him feeling comfortable. I don't think I've ever seen any evidence of that with Schottenheimer and Sanchez.

12. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

You're obviously forgetting both of the dropped sure-fired TD passes on series where the Packers wound up scoring no points. You're forgetting the 6-7 other dropped passes that quite possibly would have either led to more GB points or at the very least, worse field position for Pittsburgh, which could have in turn eventually led to more GB points.

Several of those drops were in the 2nd half where Pittsburgh got the momentum. Then there were the two bad calls by the refs on the bogus facemask penalty and the incompletion to Swaim that would have picked up a big first down. Take away those penalties and give GB those completions, and the momentum could have switched right back to GB.

Rodgers was not off target plenty. He had about 3 bad throws are all that I can recall. One was the play over the middle to Quarles, I think, where Rodgers threw it behind Quarles. Another was where Rodgers was scrambling a bit and threw a somewhat short pass to the left sideline but well over the head of the receiver. The other was a dump off in traffic to his FB. Otherwise, his passes were spot on and the ball was just going through or off of his WRs hands. He didn't put his receivers in bad spots. They weren't on Rodgers at all but on Nelson, Jones, Swaim, and maybe Jennings (can't remember if he dropped one or not, but think he did).

13. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Because not every team has the talent on offense to do this. My point is we have the talent, we have the oline to give Sanchez time to go through his reads, we have Sanchez who is pretty accurate on deeper throws and we have two #1 receivers who can get down the field in a hurry and make catches in traffic.

The problem is we don't have a damn OC that calls these types of plays. All season long he has barely attacked the middle of the field, its not something he likes to do. He likes comebacks and out routes for a large portion of his gameplan. We've even had Holmes point this out in numerous games that we don't run slants.

But what happens when we do??/ Oh yeah they go for big yardage. Don't tell me Sanchez can't complete post routes hes done it numerous times just watch a majority of Holmes highlights this season.

We came out with a scared gameplan and forced it to be a "defensive" game as opposed to taking it to their defense and we got shit on for it. Then and only then when we are down three scores do we finally open up the passing game and the steelers D looked just as average as it did Superbowl Night.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He had some drops, so did Pitt, so does every team. They dropped the balls. Rodgers was excellent overall but he missed a ton of passes in that game. To make excuses is silly, he had a few drops. If not for Jets drops he may not have ben in the playoffs but our WRs dropped 8-9 balls against GB and we lost b/c of it. That's life in the NFL.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Yes, Sanchez = Rodgers. Our offensive coordinator sucks because Sanchez doesn't pass for 5000 yards like Peyton Manning.

:rolleyes:

16. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

bttt....................

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Obviously you're missing out why Jets couldn't score TD in the 1st quarter.

19. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Or for a full month during the season.......................

:shit: ????

20. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

its good to know in this economy that at least one organization is committed to keeping jobs... just wish it wasnt this job...