Brady reportedly retiring

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 29, 2022.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well this turn of events has me quite deflated tbh

2. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The only correct response...

RPOZ51 likes this.
  3. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I like what you did there! ;)

K'OB likes this.
  4. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

#44 RPOZ51, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Much as I hate the fuck, I almost want him to stick around and keep winning to really take the shine off BB and the Pats success.

6. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Brook, your hate for Brady makes me realize he is still a Patriot in your eyes.

I am not expecting you or many others here to have a love for him, since this is a Jets board after all.

But if we can take emoting out of the equation, do you think he is the last of a breed of pocket passing QBs?

The so-called football experts in ESPN now claim that a franchise QB must be mobile in today's game.

7. Dierking

And for the love of god can we chill on this GOAT bullshit? Like this nancy would’ve lasted half a season in the game the way it was played in Otto Graham’s day, let alone in the 70s and 80s.

8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Here's my objective opinion of TB12 and his legacy - "Eff him!"

Seriously, I have to laugh at people who truly believe in their heart of hearts that TB12 is the GOAT. I have difficultly with giving anyone that title. I wonder if those people are just casual fans, who don't really watch the game, and just parrot whatever soundbite nonsense they hear spouted by the many mindless bootlickers, and talking heads in the media.

If you are measuring greatness only by the number of rings he has, then there is no comparison. Of course TB12 is the greatest, if that is your measurement. The only problem with that way of looking at it is that it's an extremely lazy metric. Football is the ultimate team game, and the quarterback is always given too much credit for a win, and too much blame for a loss.

The margin between success and failure in football is often razor-thin. A lot of the successes that have been credited to TB12 are actually the result of plays made by his teammates, or blunders made by his opponents. I'm looking at you, Falcons, Seahawks, and Rams.

Do you remember Giselle screaming about her husband not being able to effing throw the ball and catch it too? How many rings would that TB12 have right now if Welker had made that catch? Does Brady really deserve all the blame for losing that game? Does Eli really deserve all the credit for the Giants win?

To call TB12 the GOAT is to devalue some truly great QBs who have their busts in Canton.

Do you really think that Starr, Unitas, Bradshaw, Montana, or Young would not have had the same level of success, if they had been in the same situations as TB12? I do.

Do you really think that TB12 would have succeeded at all if he had been QB of the Lions, or Jaguars, or even our own beloved Jets?? I don't.

To their credit, Belichick and Brady have both recently said that they would not have been as successful without the other.

We all know what TB12 is doing with Tampa Bay, but to be honest that team was loaded when he got there. Without TB12, the Pats went 11-5 with Matt Cassel after TB12 went down in the beginning of the first game of the 2008 season. That's the same Matt Cassel who hadn't started a game before that since high school. The Pats combined record with Cassel at QB was 22-8. That's the same Matt Cassel who has a career record of 52-55, if you believe that QBs are responsible for wins and losses. The Pats also went 3-1 with Garoppolo and Brissett when Brady was suspended for deflating footballs. So you tell me if the Pat's success was all to the credit of TB12, and not to his teammates, coaches and the system.

I'll give TB12 credit for being smart, tenacious, having an accurate arm, and for taking advantage of every opportunity he has been given - including phantom calls. The Raiders and the Tuck Rule say hello. Look at his recent quotes after his unsportsmanlike penalty. He is also a pouty, intimidating, cry baby, who has grow accustomed to benefiting from that behavior.

I think you'd have to be pretty biased, and clueless, to say that TB12 isn't one of the greats, but TB12 as the Greatest Of All Time? C'mon man!

If TB12 had his successes with a team other than the Pats, then I probably wouldn't hate him as much. I'll give him that.

Patriot likes this.
  9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Anyone remember this attention seeking move after the Cheats were eliminated in the 2019 POs? No-one was talking about Shady during Super Bowl week so he had to fuel the flames of speculation that he was retiring to stroke his own ego:

[​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised he was the center of this recent retirement rumor. Fck him with a crowbar.

papapump likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Tom Brady and his representation have worked really hard to change his image the past few years and it clearly worked on a lot of people. Not me. Still not a fan at all. I don't fully respect him either, as many fans say. "I don't like him, but I respect him!" Why? He is an asshole. A cheater too. It's impressive he played for 22 years and won a title for a non-Belichick team, I give him credit. He won't be missed by me though.

11. Dierking

Honestly, I’m feeling a little gypped he isn’t going to get the Leonard Marshall on Joe Montana treatment.

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I remember that hit. I wouldn't go crackhead LT /Theismann level on this but I certainly would have liked to have seen Brady lose some teeth. Oh, well, Bernard Pollard for President, I guess.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’ll “romanticize” Brady’s career as my good pal @Brook! put it. ;)

I don’t see any way around him being the GOAT. Maybe it’s Stockholm syndrome on my part?

I will say - a lot of things broke perfectly for that big ol’ pussy. He ended up in a division with three franchises that had no idea what they were doing for the most part of his time in New England. The Jets were actually the closest thing to competitive from 01-10 but there still wasn’t much of a comparison. Every Jets win against them felt like a SB win.

I also view him as less of a “cheater” than Belichick. The deflate gate stuff was a legitimate gripe against him, but for christs sake, let’s not act like that made or broke Brady.

He also took an absolute beating until he hit the mid point of his career and figured out how to work the officials to his advantage. It just so happened that this fell into the perfect time period for him when the NFL took their hard stance one protecting (mostly veteran) quarterbacks by throwing flags if the sneeze was too aggressive in their direction.

I don’t think there’s much discussion for the GOAT conversation though. If Manning never got hurt and played like he did the previous two years, in the last SB run, he’d be in the conversation. Or if he snuck another one in there. I can’t speak to Montana.

In closing, fuck that guy. He was tough as nails for his first decade and a gigantic whining pussy his second decade. My favorite picture of his career is below circa 2006.

[​IMG]

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You got a free ticket JV. You are our resident football expert. You can do no wrong. I still hold you at the highest level regardless of what you think about Brady. :)

15. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Amen brother. The Queen wouldn’t have lasted half the season.

NY Jets68 and Dierking like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

I hear you, but would Otto Graham have been able to dissect a defense like any of the modern day quarterbacks or rip the ball into a cover 2 window with the corner sinking? The era thing goes both ways, and this doesn’t only speak to Brady. I honestly consider football pre 1980ish to be pretty much a different sport.

Acad23 likes this.
  17. Dierking

10 seasons. 7 Championships. Took one year off to play pro basketball and won a championship there. Still holds some passing records. Paul Brown invented the facemask so he could play with a broken jaw. For some reason I think Otto would figure a way to manage today.

Not even in the same conversation honestly.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

7 championships in a league that had anywhere from 7 to 12 teams. It was significantly easier to win a championship in the 40s and 50s. They also didn’t have face masks or plastic helmets, so no one was leading with their face mask to go helmet to helmet.

The majority of NFL teams wouldn’t even sign a black player until 1952.

Different game.

#58 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  19. Dierking

They didn't have arthroscopic knee surgery and DBs could murder recievers anywhere on the field too. Of course if was a different game. One Brady's skillset wouldn't remotely translate to.

20. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner