Boyle being relased, Rypien next tackling dummy up

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Dec 5, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It seems pretty clear that this wasn't done based on any performance criteria, that it was done as punishment for Boyle leaking the "Zach doesn't want to play" story. And I'll bet Boyle wasn't the only one who leaked this, but he was seen as expendable, so "Sayonara Boyle!". Message sent.

stinkyB likes this.
  2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

No, it really doesn't.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

um yeah it kinda does. if you include backups there are 64 total QBs in the NFL. 32 are starters. that means being the 48th best QB in the NFL makes you an average backup. zach is bad but he isn't as bad as people make him out to be. he's still in the top 50 in the NFL.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Not sure how that's relevant to my point at all.

5. GasedAndConfused

what was the point then?

6. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

... and what we've learned is that none of the three QBs on our roster were capable of being NFL backups (not to mention "really good" NFL backups). Just because every team has two QBs on the roster doesn't mean that the two on your roster are good enough that they should actually be there.

Our QBs suck (and continue to suck). None of them would be backups on other teams.

7. GasedAndConfused

our Qbs suck yes, but the problem is you are making up your own unidentifiable standard for "good enough" without taking anything into account. the fact that we resigned simian and that boyle was in the league still and that peterman is still on a roster goes to show how small the talent pool is at QB in the NFL. they are in the league for a reason because nobody out there has been better then them to push them out. our whole offensive issues aren't on zach. his film shows he can be a fine backup. if he has to come in for a game here or there you can win with him. with a better supporting cast and O/C his numbers would be better. he'll never be a starter or at least a good starter in the NFL, but he's more then good enough to stick around as a backup for a while. he's not hackenberg levels of bad by any means who never got a snap

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Wasn't it clear? That with the season over, aka not making the playoffs, the smartest thing to do was maximize our draft pick via starting the worst QB possible, aka Boyle.

9. GasedAndConfused

players don't care about draft position. they want to win and put up numbers. it's for the other 50+ players in the locker room

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

So in other words, we've gone from 27th ranked but top 10 best to 64th ranked but top 48 best.

Ralebird and stinkyB like this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

nomination for post of the year....

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Oh please - this organization has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for the other 52 all season long, you think they are starting now??!

13. GasedAndConfused

he was playing well for a couple weeks and outplaying some other QBs. then he wasn't. thats why there is ceiling/floor. his ceiling is very low end starter, his floor is decent backup. what you get any given week is going to be anywhere in-between them. but he's far from "unplayable or unemployable"

14. GasedAndConfused

it doesn't work like that.

say you work for a shitty company and you are tired of being there. and the manager comes in and says i really don't give a fuck so do what you want compared to the manager saying we are trying to right the ship, were putting people in the best spot we can. we want to try and move in the right direction right now. he's doing the latter.

15. The_Darksider

It actually DOES work like that. I run a company. If I favored a certain someone at the expense of the others, they'd pick up on it immediately, And if I replaced that someone with someone just as bad, and then went BACK to doing that under the guise of "It's best for you" they'd run to corporate and get my gaslighting ass fired.

So, you are assuming that the Jets organization (I won't single out Saleh) is gaslighting the other 52 and essentially defending it.

16. GasedAndConfused

but you aren't favoring anyone. not sure why you think that. if you replaced someone with someone much worse and it affected everyone else they would be pissed at you, if you out that person back in they would be happier. I've seen it many times over

17. The_Darksider

"Much" worse is subjective - the Jets have scored the same number of touchdowns in these weeks as they did with Wilson. I wouldn't even say "significantly" worse - just somewhere between "noticeably" and "arguably". And that's just Boyle - they gave Siemian 20 minutes of football time (guesstimating) in the rain without any practice to provide a "spark" and then decided that Zach was the best option again?

Just clueless from top to bottom.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

they been seeing simian in practice for months now. they've seen boyle. and not just the coaches but the players too. every single person in that locker room knows zach is the best option at QB. just because fans didn't get to see it with their eyes doesn't mean it's not true. and it was significantly worse BTW. we probably win that game with zach at QB. we needed 1 play from the QB really. there is a dude on reddit who's been breaking down the all-22 clips for the jets all year long and does a great job.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nyjets/com...=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

well worth reading and watching the plays. the offense was never going to be good, but it's arguable that boyle single-handedly cost us that game.

edit: and Tds isn't the only measure. thats why I don't like using it. it doesn't help evaluate 1 player, it evaluates the offense as a whole. if zach due to other factors has 1 real chance to get a TD and whiffs it sucks but he had 1 shot. if boyle had 10 chances and whiffs all 10 it's worse. in this game we should have put up 3-5 TDs easily. even with zach we get probably 1 of those, maybe 2. we only needd 1 play to win.

19. The_Darksider

Ok, you know all the inside scoops, you know exactly how the players feel (every single one of them) - how do the players know anything about a guy who's been practicing with a bunch of other practice squad guys all this time? Answer: they don't. They have no idea. He's been simulating, at best, whoever the Jets are playing the coming week with a bunch of guys who also are doing the same.

It's not out of the realm that they could feel that way, but you say it with SUCH conviction as if it's a foregone conclusion.

Also, tell me more of the metrics that you don't use to rate a QB, specifically Zach Wilson? We can't use wins/losses, we can't use TDs - should we rate him only on his arm talent and mobility? Hall of Famer then!!!!!!

Ralebird likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

I never said I have any inside scoops. we all have access to the same stuff. if you read the post I said give that link a read/watch and see for yourself. it's all film breakdown. and if a nobody like me can clearly see these (and the guy doing it who is just a regular dude like me or you) things the players definitely do when they watch film. the only thing that doesn't lie / skew things is the film and all the players know it

did you watch hill on hard knocks? after he caught the bomb he talked a little shit on the "bad throw" to tua (but in a friendly way), then they showed him the film on the sideline and he was like "i fucked up, my bad i can admit when i'm wrong" then he went on a press conference when fans were saying tua sucked and threw a shitty ball and hill bailed him out and said that he ran the route wrong and tua put it in the right spot. to most people watching it, it looked like an underthrow, but when you get a peak behind the scenes you find out it wasn't. I really wish the NFL would have more "inside" things like this so fans can be a little more informed. we have way more access now then we've ever had into plays, angles, players, twitter clips, lots of people doing breakdowns, sunday ticket to watch all games. etc but so many people just look at a box score and make a judgement like it's 1995 and you have to wait for the newspaper the next day with no concept of what any other team is going outside of record because sunday ticket didn't exist and you only get the local games on cable