Bob Sanders visiting with Jets today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 2, 2011.

1. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

This is how I feel exactly.

2. ........

........ Trolls

Fixed it. We have no idea what Bob Sanders "is". We know what he "was". What have you seen in the past 3 seasons that makes you so certain he's the same player?

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I don't want the guy taking up a valuable roster spot even if he will be on IR in week 3, he still costs another guy a spot on the team.

Imagine if he gets the next Woodhead cut?

4. ........

........ Trolls

So you'd rather have a couple of games of "better than 2010 Eric Smith or Brodney Pool" and then have Smith and Pool for the rest of the season? Personally, I'd rather sign a safety with lower risk and known current ability, even if he comes with a slightly higher contract.

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yeah, but is the risk of using a roster spot on a guy that is likely to end up on IR anyway worth the potential reward of having him as a backup? Is there no one else out there?

6. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Sure there will be a risk of him getting injured, but I'm willing to see the Jets take that risk. We are thin at safety. Even if Sanders has an OK season compared to his '07 season, I'd be happy.

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Yeah, but who exactly is that guy?

I think safety is a position the Jets are trying to go cheap on, and they'd be fine with Smith/Pool back next year with Leonhard if they can't get Sanders with a cap-friendly deal. If they do get Sanders, and he does get hurt, then they'll fall back on Smith or Pool and probably be fine with it.

8. ........

........ Trolls

People are acting like he's the only option, like it's Sanders or roll with Pool and Smith. That's simply not the case. There are some good safeties on the FA list, and there's the possibility of drafting someone. I don't want to make a signing like this before the draft and free agency.

9. ........

........ Trolls

If we go THAT cheap, we'll get cheap. I'd rather spend a bit more on Landry or Whitner and/or draft a safety. Don't forget this will be year 2 of the Lowery move as well. Plus, if we sign Sanders, we HAVE to keep Smith/Pool, whereas at least one of them could be let go if we were to sign a better safety. That alone frees up some money to sign a more certain FA.

If they want to sign him to a minimum contract with no guarantees and no bonus money so he can be cut easily, fine. From day one, though, I'd be dreading the bitching that would go on when he inevitably gets hurt early.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I would totally support this if the NFL allows him to play games in a bubble.

11. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

True there are other FA's. However, I wouldn't want to draft a safety right now. The idea of having a rookie safety and a 2nd year Kyle Wilson in our secondary isn't very appealing to me.

12. ........

........ Trolls

Should also mention that his injury last year put the Colts in a terrible position. He sucked up a roster spot almost the whole season because of the uncertainty surrounding his return. The guy got hurt in what, Game 1? He didn't go on IR until December, so the Colts were essentially operating a 52 man roster. I suppose that wouldn't be a bad situation, either.

13. ........

........ Trolls

LOL. If the Jets sign him, I'm putting in an offer on Wayne Coyne's giant hamster ball.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

While arguing with IJR, I looked at the available FA safeties (from about.com)

Hamza Abdullah (UFA) - Arizona
    Husain Abdullah (RFA) - Minnesota
    Gerald Alexander (UFA) - Carolina
    Jordan Babineaux (UFA) - Seattle
    Josh Barrett (RFA) - New England
    Atari Bigby (UFA) - Green Bay
    C.C. Brown (UFA) - Detroit
    Courtney Brown (UFA) - NY Giants
    Josh Bullocks (UFA) - Chicago
    Tyrone Carter (UFA) - San Diego
    Sean Considine (UFA) - Jacksonville
    Reed Doughty (UFA) - Washington
    Abram Elam (UFA) - Cleveland
    Hiram Eugene (UFA) - Oakland
    Eric Frampton (UFA) - Minnesota
    Aaron Francisco (UFA) - Indianapolis
    Matt Giordano (UFA) - New Orleans
    Dashon Goldson (RFA) - San Francisco
    Deon Grant (UFA) - NY Giants
    Ken Hamlin (UFA) - Indianapolis
    Roman Harper (UFA) - New Orleans
    Michael Huff (UFA) - Oakland
    Michael Johnson (UFA) - NY Giants
    Dawan Landry (UFA) - Baltimore
    Michael Lewis (UFA) - St. Louis
    Bret Lockett (RFA) - New England
    Corey Lynch (RFA) - Tampa Bay
    Danieal Manning (UFA) - Chicago
    Brandon McGowan (UFA) - New England
    Jon McGraw (UFA) - Kansas City
    Quintin Mikell (UFA) - Philadelphia
    Lawyer Milloy (UFA) - Seattle
    Ryan Mundy (RFA) - Pittsburgh
    Chinedum Ndukwe (UFA) - Cincinnati
    Donnie Nickey (UFA) - Tennessee
    Paul Oliver (UFA) - San Diego
    Jarrad Page (UFA) - New England
    Charlie Peprah (UFA) - Green Bay
    Sabby Piscitelli (UFA) - Cleveland
    Bernard Pollard (UFA) - Houston
    Brodney Pool (UFA) - NY Jets
    Pierson Prioleau (UFA) - New Orleans
    Chris Reis (UFA) - New Orleans
    Gerald Sensabaugh (UFA) - Dallas
    Darren Sharper (UFA) - New Orleans]/b]
    Eric Smith (UFA) - NY Jets
    Matt Ware (UFA) - Arizona
    Pat Watkins (UFA) - San Diego
    Eric Weddle (UFA) - San Diego
    John Wendling (UFA) - Detroit
    Donte Whitner (UFA) - Buffalo
    Roy Williams (UFA) - Cincinnati
    George Wilson (UFA) - Buffalo
    Gibril Wilson (UFA) - Cincinnati
    Usama Young (UFA) - New Orleans

I doubt the list is complete, but that's the first that came up.

Not a whole lot of great options, and most of the ones out there will cost more than Sanders.

I just don't understand people completely ruling out Sanders as a possibility. This is exactly the type of medium-risk, high-reward move that good GMs take a look at. Leave no stone unturned. Remember, the only safeties we have under contract this year are Leonhard and Lowery (if you count him). We need to bring in at least two safeties. And three receivers, a quarterback, a DT, an OLB, and a CB. We still have a lot of holes we need to fill, and it might not be easy to fill every spot with a good multi-year contract for solid players.

My interest in Sanders depends largely on the contract. If the question is do I prefer Donte Whitner, Dawan Landry, or Bob Sanders under the same multi-year contract, give me Whitner or Landry. But if Sanders isn't looking for a big deal, I'd love to bring him in. You'd have to bring in or bring back another safety as insurance for Sanders for sure, but if he can play anywhere near the level he used to, he'd be worth it.

15. It's another option, and worth a shot. That would give the Jets Leonhard, Sanders, Pool, Smith, Lowery, and Ihedigbo as possible safeties. I would like to think that out of that group, one other guy would step up to be a legit guy next to Leonhard.

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Few points to this, not really arguing either way, just responding.

1. If we're going to 18 games, the IR rules will be changed and more roster spots will be allowed. That would allow us to deal with this situation a lot better.

2. I wonder if when it comes down to it, the Jets have to choose Jenkins or Sanders. Which injury-prone guy do you want to risk your scenario happening to? Hard to carry two guys on the roster like that...

3. ...Then again, this is the same team that carried 4 QBs (3 who sucked) all year long. And that carried 2 punters for a significant period of time.

17. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Assuming he stays healthy, this is a no brainer. Sanders is an absolute beast at safety.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I guess that settles it. Signing this guy would be the worst idea possible.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I AGREE with your signature 1 billion % :jets:

20. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Last off-season was all about our terrible locker room chemistry. This offseason will be all about injury proneness. (is that a word?)