Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by BeastBeach, Sep 8, 2014.

1. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I could have sworn there was already a thread on this show. Anyways...thoughts on the season premiere of the final season last night?

I thought it was pretty boring. Nucky is a pretty boring main character and since the main storyline was his past, it made for a snoozer for me. Plus they could have done a better job in going into what happened since we left off in the 7 years that have passed.

No Al Capone, no Van Alden, no Eli who are some of the more compelling characters.

Edit: I forgot Arnold Rothstein whom I liked, apparently he died in the 7 year gap. Lame

#1 BeastBeach, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Being on UK time I was hoping someone would post on this subject so I would know how far behind you I am. I've got a few days to wait and avoid this thread, which is good to know. Really hope the show returns to form as the first three seasons were very good, the last one was a bit ordinary though.

Rothstein isn't a fictional character and he was killed in 1928, according to Wikipedia (too lazy to check if this is true). Not sure what year the new season is supposed to be but I guess they are trying to stay true to history as much as possible, which may well be a hint as to some spoilers and plot lines. There definitely was a Boardwalk Empire thread I used to check out occasionally when I lurked and didn't post. I'm guessing it got binned in the Great BS Forum Massacre.

3. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I agree Nucky is boring Rothstein was also my favorite caracther.

4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I don't have HBO anymore. Last season did pick up a lot towards the end.

RIP Richard Harrow

5. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Jimmy was a great character. Killed him off too early. I think the season with Gyp Rosetti was the best. And yeah Richard was great. They keep killing all the best characters lol

6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Evidently they wrote Jimmy (Michael Pitt) out of the series because he was an asshole. The whole vision of the series changed when they got rid of him. It seemed to be all about him and Nucky...and then Nucky shot him in season 2.

7. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Same situation over here.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jimmy was played out by the end of season 2.

The main problem with the show is that Buscemi just isn't a strong enough actor to carry a series like this by himself.

But yeah, RIP Harrow, one of the most intriguing supporting characters of any show I've ever seen.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I haven't had the kick to start this season yet. Last season was definitely an upswing for them. Hopefully the other main characters get the sendoff they deserve and it just isn't Nucky's last hurrah

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Theres also only a total of 8 episodes this final season.

I dont get that at all...6 more to go before this show ends

11. abyzmul

I know it's past episodes but I thought I'd put this here. Stephen Root is fast becoming my favorite supporting character actor, replacing Gary Oldman, who I think is just too talented to be relegated to "supporting actor" roles.

Root is basically a completely different human being every time I see him in a show or movie, very impressive.

12. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Lmao it took me and my wife a while to realize he was the guy from office space who was going to "burn the place to the ground"

13. abyzmul

He was also the blind redneck from Oh Brother Where Art Thou? that made the recording of the Soggy Bottom Boys.

Edit: I also just realized he was Bill Dauterive from King of the Hill.

#13 abyzmul, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  14. abyzmul

I finally caught up with this season.

It's pretty obvious to me that they were expecting 10 seasons and then something went wrong, creatively or personally, with producers or actors or both. Because there are people in situations that are a galaxy away from where they were in season 4, and many characters just written in as "gone" in one way or another, and the "7 year gap" was about as half-assed a fast forward as it gets. There are calculated and artful ways of fast forwarding a story, and this is a monkey fucking a football with a Jets insignia on it.

The 8 episode season is another alarming sign that they are phoning this season in just to have a finale season instead of being cancelled outright.

Pathetic end to what was a pretty good show.

15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Abyz, 4-5 episodes left and Its progressing slowly, especially with all these flashbacks, something will have to happen in the last few to speed things up or will this show disappoint at the end like the Sopranos...

16. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

I gotta jump back on this show, I have not watched since season 1

17. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Man young nucky the cop is even uglier than current nucky. Those teeth...lol

18. abyzmul

Bahahaha he looks like a fucking donkey.

[​IMG]

19. matt robinson 17

20. matt robinson 17

Kind of interesting the mix of murderous deaths and comedy (Al Capone on the bowl, Nelson and Eli)