***Bill Cowher --- News Thread***

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MBGreen, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

What tipped you off?

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'm with you. I really like what Tannenbaum has done with the salary cap, but I have no problem pushing him aside to do only that, if it means we get a genius head coach and great talent evaluator as a GM.

3. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

THank god you're not a Lions fan.

4. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

Why not demote him to assistant GM and let him be a stockbroker but bring in a GM that is a football wiz and can negotiate well.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

"The Jets official's response indicates the team is willing to let Cowher replace current general manager Mike Tannenbaum with his own candidate.

A Jets source also said Tannenbaum says he's willing to adjust his position to accommodate Cowher."

This is great news. I also just heard on the radio that the Jets have stated that "They are willing to do whatever it takes to get Cowher."

6. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Haha maybe their PR group monitors message boards.

I want free beer and food otherwise I'm burning all my Jet crap!!

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

1050, not 1010... sorry.

They just announced that "Although no official talks have taken place yet between the NY Jets and Bill Cowher, Cowher has indicated he is willing to talk."

8. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Peter King said Cowher is not coaching in 2009 unless someone offers him more then 10 mill per season. Good ole Pete is a as bad as you get with his sources and predictions, so I am optimistic that Cowher will be our coach with a 4 yr/ 31 million contract and final say on a personnel transactions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/12/30/mail/index.html?eref=T1

You want Bill Cowher to come coach your team? Wait 'til next year.

Cowher, the hottest coach on the market in a year with multiple job openings, will stay off the sidelines in 2009, reliable NFL sources tell me. The only way Cowher will even consider one of the jobs, I'm told, is if he gets an offer he just can't refuse. What would that offer be? There probably isn't one out there, but it would have to be ridiculous money -- more than $10 million a year, almost certainly -- plus one that Cowher thinks he quickly can build a team to win.

When Cowher left the Steelers after the 2006 season, he told his family he would stay out of football until his youngest daughter, Lindsay, finished her high-school years in Raleigh, N.C. Lindsay is a senior right now. And I'm told Cowher "absolutely'' has not changed his mind.

I'm also told reliably that if there was a job out there Cowher would have loved to consider, it was the Browns job. The fact he turned down the Browns' job almost without thinking Saturday night in a face-to-face meeting with owner Randy Lerner tells you everything you need to know about his unwillingness to return in 2009. Cowher, a former Cleveland player and assistant coach, loves the tradition of the Browns and the passion of their fan base, but it just wasn't the right time for him.

This shouldn't stop the Jets from sniffing around Cowher, certainly. If there's a 1-in-100 chance, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum needs to check it out. But he'd better get a list of good alternatives available.

9. JetsLookingforDWare

King has a point. I think too many on this board have had Cowher signed onto this team in their heads for like 4-5 weeks now.

I really hope it's true...but if not the Jets better have a good backup plan.

10. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

ESPN is so full of sh*t this morning they said Cowher would not even talk to the Jets now they say this, more bullsh*t Cowher's agent and the Jets both said that this was never even brought up!

11. songster67

songster67 New Member

Exactly. We'll let Cowher speak his peace on Sunday's NFL Today; get in our chat with Spagnuolo before Divisional game; we'll do the due diligence with Marty; interview the most credible minority candidate available after wildcard weekend (Rivera or Frazer depending); and have this done by 3rd week of January

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

espn is so completely full of shit it kills me, they spread rumor or things that they want to see happen or just sit at home and think up by themselves as the truth. they are probably the WORST news reporting agency out there at this point. they dont care if it is true they just want to be the first to say it and make a big deal out of it. and the shame is that people buy this crap.

bottom line is cowher hasnt spoken to the jets and has not told them any conditions or anything along those lines. at least according to fatcessa who says that he knows... not that i trust his fat ass, but i trust him more than these tools on espn.

13. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

ESPN is a waste, I don't know how anyone can watch that crap!!!

14. TorontoJETSfan

TorontoJETSfan New Member

I wonder what type of pull Faneca would have with Cowher ?

Was our insane collapse a blessing in disguise ?

Cheers.

15. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Has no one noticed that the title of this thread makes no sense?

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i dont know about pull, but even though i really cant stand mike as a radio personality when he has good contacts and is close to people he is more than willing to talk about how close he is and when he says he is that close he always is. its like parcells, mike was all over his nuts for years and it put him in a position to be in the know on quite a few things over the years. i am very willing to believe what mike has to say about cowher.

17. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

The Mayne Street webisodes are funny.

18. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

If they hang their hats on those, they are more sorry then I thought. :up:

19. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

20. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

If the Jets dropped the ideal situation in Cowher's lap, do you think a rational man would say no to sit home and babysit his daughter who is a high school senior?

Are you kidding me???????

He'd be insane to say no for THIS REASON ALONE.

If this is indeed true, than this is no man I want as my coach.

I know family is the most important thing in life but you just can't say no if Woody opens the shop and wallet for Cowher like I expect him to.