Better QB as a Jet Ken O'Brien vs. Chad Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Oct 22, 2010.

?

Who had a better career as a Jets QB?

1. Ken O'Brien

115 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Chad Pennington

129 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

Voting is tied. Fan base is drawn, because it's a good and tough question.

I've only seen footage of K O but he sure had to keep up with a greater breed of QB in his day which is why I had to vote for him.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Some other interesting facts:

O'Brien had the only 400+ yard game with a perfect rating. 431 yards to be precise. He was also the only QB to throw more than 30 passes in a game and still maintain a perfect rating.

Pennington had one game with a perfect rating, which he lost. Against Peyton Manning of course.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Oh yeah, that was definitely one. I didn't dispute that game or the other one that Murrell2878 mentioned. I just can't classify the 10/23/88 matchup as a passing duel.

4. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Richard Todd has them BOTH beat! Better runner than both...stronger arm than both...however, he wasn't as accurate as either of them...but I go with Todd simply on OVERALL skills. Yes, I made this thread all about Todd....suck it up!

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

O'Brien threw 3 TDs including one right before half to Al Toon under pressure from Hugh Green. He was key when it counted. I didn't suggest that O'Brien was the sole reason the Jets won, but he played better than Marino - thus outdueling him helping the Jets win the game.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

On a side note about the game 10/23/88 game - that was the first game after Gastineau retired.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

And nobody could stuff a reporter into a locker like Todd!

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

They could make a Kyle Mackey highlight reel and we'd be impressed. This clip shouldn't sway anyone. Again, I loved O'brien as a kid but I don't think it's really that close. Chad was better by a pretty wide margin. Kenny was basically a good QB for a year and a 1/2.

B/c a QB is sacked doesn't mean the OL is bad. He always had plenty of time to throw but he always held onto the ball too long looking for the big play down the field. People ignored it in my post earlier but he was comparable to a Drew Bledsoe. if you recall before Brady stepped in everyone thought NE's OL stunk but in reality it was on Bledsoe for holding onto the ball too long and creating sacks.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I agree totally. O'Brien was very good, maybe even great, but that only lasted for 1985 and basically half of 1986.

1996 and 1997 were his best years and he deserved accolades those two years, but for the rest of his career he was overrated. I think comparing O'Brien to Bledsoe is pretty good.

10. DbaJets

DbaJets New Member

They both blew.

11. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I still think of how good Kenny would have been with this offensive line for all of his career. THe dude was sacked over 60 times one year. He has 3 years that was as good as any Jet QB ever had. Chad has never had 2 good years in a row

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

3?
    O'Brien only had 2 that were good. The guy was mediocre after 1986.

13. DbaJets

DbaJets New Member

Guys neither of these QBs won anything. I don't see how anyone looks back fondly upon these two fags.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

What's really incredible about that video isn't so much Kenny O but how consistently wide open Wesley Walker is in just about every play. That dude was transcendent. And legally blind in one eye. All time favorite Jet.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That's a nice attitude to have. So by that logic you think every player in Jets history that wasn't a part of the Superbowl III victory are a bunch of fags?

16. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Somewhere Champ just smiled.

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

That's the thing. Chad never had a really great wide receiver, yet he still managed to lead the team to the playoffs three times in five years as a starter.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I am surprised that Chad has pulled away with the lead AFTER I posted the video. I guess it makes Walker look better then O'Brien but WTF?

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Austin, TX--about 200 miles from Dallas.

To further this point, when Pat Ryan would come in and play behind the same line he didn't get sacked nearly as much. He didn't have the arm, but was kind of a poor man's Pennington--fiery, more mobile, smart, the perfect backup for O'Brien. During the 1985 and 86 seasons Ryan got in there for a decent amount, then later on from 1987-89 he started a handful of games when O'Brien was either nicked up or just ineffective. Of course the only playoff game we won in O'Brien's tenure with the Jets was QB'd by Pat Ryan.

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Not sure if you're kidding but I agree. Todd turned into a pretty good QB, I wish we had kept him.