Better QB as a Jet Ken O'Brien vs. Chad Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Oct 22, 2010.

?

Who had a better career as a Jets QB?

1. Ken O'Brien

115 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Chad Pennington

129 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Took Chad. Had to. He's been the best QB from a playoff's perspective up until this point excluding the SB win w/ Namath. Unfortunately he's an even year QB and once Miami bench's Henne, the Fins will get a WC spot with Penny at the helm. After all - it's 2010.

Chad's play action was 2nd to none. Manning is probably the only QB that can pull a a fake as well as Chad did.

I can't even remember how many times I thought he handed it off and he's walking real casual in the backfield and then tosses one. If he wasn't injury prone we could have made a lot of deep playoff runs.

2. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Obrien could make EVERY throw on the field. Chad could not. Youtube has some great Kenny o videos

3. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Quarterbacks

Kenny O'Brien was better. He could make all the throws. He could not move and did not give the offensive line a chance sometimes. But at least in his first five years he was pretty good.
    Chad was good when healthy. He used his head not his arm. When the arm went he really had no chance.
    Both were fine men and worthy Jets.

4. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

You guys are smoking crack, Ken O'brien was way better.

5. rdc2000

rdc2000 New Member

O'Brien by a pretty wide margin if your talking passing skills.

And he won just as many championships as Marino...

6. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

Good question. The way I look at it is, what if Chad played on those mid-'80s teams and what if O'Brien played on the team as constituted during Chad's best years? Looking at it that way, I'd say O'Brien was the better quartback whose worst sin to the fan-base at large was being drafted before Dan Marino. Still, Chad played on better teams when this organization was in a much better place, and had the better Jet career.

Both good guys, both very talented. Still, if you were to ask me who was the better pure QB, it would be Ken O'Brien, hands down. In terms of "Football IQ," Chad's was considered to be among the best of his era (perhaps trailing only Peyton Manning - albeit without Peyton's physical ability). O'Brien, perhaps not at Chad's very high level, was considered very smart QB and had a great arm. Half the reason O'Brien did get beat up (the other half being the Jets poor O-line) was he (unlike his predecessor, Richard Todd) was deadly accurate, and more likely to take the sack rather risk tossing the ball up for grabs. Also, don't forget, rules to protect the QB and that cut down on sacks (such as being able to throw the ball away outside the tackles) weren't there in O'Brien's-era.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Your argument for O'Brien is much more convincing than statjeff22's comments. :rolleyes:

8. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I grew up watching O'Brien and he was great.

I think CP was great his first year. Once he was injured in the Giants preseason game, he always had me worried.

Some games Chad was straight money, other games, he had me on the edge of my seat big time.

His first year playing full bore after Vinny was out was the shit..

9. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

O'Brien by far.

I was a big Kenny Fan growing up. I never did like Chad much.

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd have to go with Chad, although both QBs broke a lot of fans' hearts. The Jets enjoyed playoff success with Chad, which Ken never managed.

O'Brien was a destroyer at his peak in the 1986 season, but he never really recovered from the injury and meltdown at the end of that season. Chad was superbly efficient in 2002 and the beginning of 2004, but never really recovered from the first shoulder injury in 04.

If both had remained at their peaks for six or seven seasons, O'Brien would probably get the nod.

11. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

Hard to decide who was better, I voted for O'Brien, but they were different kinds of quarterbacks, and maybe this is just me being nostalgic, but I enjoyed watching Kenny play more that I did Chad.

12. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I agree. If Marino was on our team with no OL, I wonder how good of a QB he would be? OB was dynamite and outplayed Marino in many head to head games without an OL. IMO Marino was NOT a complete QB. he was statistically oriented. he wanted to throw for high TD numbers and so on 1st and an inch to go for a TD, he'd rear back and throw a TD. big deal. Thats why stats suck. It was because of Marino Miami did not have much of a run game and they never won a Super Bowl even though Marino has all-world numbers! Put OB on the Miami team and they win a SB or two.

Pennington could not hold OB's jock strap as far as being a QB goes! OB was just as smart and very resilient, tough, excellent deep thrower, and had a great arm on top of it all!

in fact today is the anniversary of OB outdueling Marino in a very high scoring game! Marino threw for 3 TDs and 5 INTS. We won as a result!

13. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

It's close, but I'll give the nod to O'Brien. The 1986 duel against Marino may have been the best regular season game I've ever watched.

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, October 23, 1988

Jets 44
    Dolphins 30

Erik McMillan had three interceptions and returned one for a touchdown.

I will not agree with you and say that O'Brien outdueled Marino. O'Brien had a ho-hum day (18 of 37 for 174 yards). Their September 1986 game was a passing duel. The 10/23/88 game not so much.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

He declined before that. After the playoff game we lost to the Raiders Chad got jumpy. He looked for the check down way too quickly even before he got hurt.

O'Brien stayed fearless his whole career.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

All the guys who were too young to watch O'Brien need to watch this video before they vote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uq0F2whpl4[/youtube]

The guy was incredible.

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Funny, as I watch that my reaction is how great Toon and Walker were - in most of those plays they were wide open.

Again, taking nothing away from O'Brien - for one year especially, he was magnificent, and for another 2 or 3 he was pretty good.

#57 statjeff22, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  18. Marty G

Marty G Member

Kenny O.

I'm probably biased becaus of my age (I'm old enough to remember the 80's very clearly) but I think he's very unlucky not to have a better reputation than he does have.

I'm sure after about 3 seasons he was the highest rated active passer in the NFL and deserved it too.

Marty

19. Jets Dan

Jets Dan New Member

KOB was tough as nails, but Penny was more accurate and won more big games, including 2 in the playoffs. KOB was a MUCH better scrambler, though.

Hasty, that's a great highlight video you posted... damn, did Wesley Walker ever get caught from behind?!

#59 Jets Dan, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is a good video to help show one of the points I was making between the era's. Look at all that vertical passing - it's before the west coast offense was real popular. That directly leads to a lesser completion percentage that people like to oogle over and a lot of the times directly correlate to accuracy.

Kenny's accuracy on those deep balls was outstanding.