Bender to start at LG?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Aug 19, 2007.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

pass block really shouldn't be an issue for a LG. usually at LG you have a run blocker and that's what bender is. he will rarely line up 1 on 1 against a tackle. he will always get help from mangold, so it really shouldn't be an issue. they should start him right away

2. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Rookie Bender moves up to starter against Giants
    Friday, August 24, 2007
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets rookie starting left guard Jacob Bender, a sixth-round pick out of Division I-AA Nicholls State as a left tackle, got the stamp of approval from none other than Pete Kendall himself.

Bender, 6-6, 315 pounds, played left tackle in a triple-option offense and his pass-blocking could become an issue.

"Jacob is a big kid," Kendall said yesterday on a conference call. "He's quick off the ball. He has a good upside. He's strong. He has a chance to be a good one."

While the Jets got rid of a malcontent in Kendall, the quality of their offensive line took a hit.

Bender, who moved to guard after the first preseason game, will start against the Giants on Saturday night. If he implodes, the Jets will likely turn to third-year pro Adrien Clarke, who has played in only 13 career games, four as a starter, with the Eagles. He sat out last season with a back injury and was signed as a free agent. He started the first two preseason games.

The Jets are also keeping an eye on the waiver wire.

With Kendall, the Jets would've returned their entire starting offensive line from last season.

"I'm just thankful for this opportunity and I'm going to keep working," Bender said. "I've been working hard on my pass-blocking as well as everything else in trying to become a good NFL player.

"It doesn't matter what competition you played against. If you're in the NFL, you're in the NFL. Somebody obviously thought you were good enough to make it here. ... I'm just going to go out there and give it my all."

Quarterback Chad Pennington, who has a history of injuries, was asked if he's concerned about Bender's pass-blocking.

"If they (coaches) thought our guys couldn't do it, they're not going to put someone in harm's way," he said. "That would be my hope."

The Jets' hope is that lightning will strike twice along the offensive line. Last season, it was rookies Nick Mangold (center) and D'Brickashaw Ferguson (left tackle), both first-round picks. This season, they think it's Bender.

"We've played rookies here on the offensive line in the past," said Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "It's not unique to my experiences, and I feel very comfortable with the depth that we have between Adrien, Jacob and (veteran) Wade Smith."

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1187929608157870.xml&coll=1

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Good article on Bender. Lets hope he's able to make the grade at guard.

4. Villmatic52

Villmatic52 New Member

Reading that article gets me soo pumped for this season. We're only two weeks away guys.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If Bender works out well at LG we could be well on our way to a solid o-line for years to come. Having 3 very young guys playing together for a number of years would be excellent. Granted the right side would still need work.