Becton's Back In the gym..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Mar 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post! Thanks for posting this Baldy video. Baldy cracks me up. I was laughing my ass off the whole way through.

For those of you who think Becton can't play, you need to watch this tape 2-3 times.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I was thinking about Mehki Becton today. Is there any player in the NFL who could have a more unpredictable 2022 season than him? I mean I could honestly see him being 1st Team All-Pro, or lose his starting job all together. Some consider him a weakness on the Jets O-line, others consider him the strength. The spectrum of thoughts on him and his potential is unreal.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I highly doubt he loses his job in 2022. you think edoga or mcdermott are going to supplant him?

4. The Dark Knight

No, but they could draft Ikem Ekwonu, and he play right tackle while Fant plays left tackle. Leaving Becton out of the starting lineup. If that did happen, Becton could still win the training camp battle and Fant ends up the swing tackle he was signed as. So many possibilities. The one fans should want the most is he returns to form and is the dominant Left Tackle he was drafted to be. I think that can happen too but we just don't know.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

The plan is for Becton to earn a stating spot on either side and I'll hope he returns to and improves on 2020 form.

Just a thought though: Becton was a JD pick, but was picked for the previous regime. Had this been the Saleh/LaFleur regime, would he still have been the pick? Serious question. I'm not sure whether or not he's an ideal scheme fit. It seems like Ikem Okunwu should be there at 4 and he definitely seems like a JD type of lineman. Given some of Mekhi's issues and questions and if JD loves Okunwu, is it plausible they'd trade Becton and take Okunwu?

I'm not advocating for this, but just a thought. There's some speculation about replacing McGovern if the right person came along so wonder if it could be the case for Mekhi too

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The only position that’s untouchable is a FQB. Kalihl Mack has been traded twice, and was considered the closest thing to a HOF defenseman coming out of college.

We can’t act like Becton is untouchable, if he was healthy his first two seasons and been an all-pro going into his third season as top LT in game then I would think JD was nuts for even thinking he was tradebale, but we are discussing a man who’s health is still an unknown going into his third year in the NFL.

Moving forward, If Jets get 2 solid starting, consecutive healthy years from him, I would consider picking up 5 year option but if he goes down again for an extended period of time, it’s time to move on.

Cman68, K'OB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

thats a waste of a huge asset

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Judge much? Have you met the Raiders fans?

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

No. But how 'bout them niners fans? Seem like an informed bunch

K'OB and cval like this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well, you should get a perspective.

11. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I think for me, I would love Becton at LT, Fant at RT, (or Becton at RT, Fant at LT, either way) and use the #4 overall pick on a pass rusher. #10 on a WR or CB. That would be what is best for the Jets. If they do that, it means they trust Becton. If they don't and use a pick on a Tackle like Ekwonu, I think it means they don't. You could understand either choice they make. I expect Becton to return to form in 2022 or possibly be even better than he was in 2020.

NCJetsfan, cval and Noam like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

right now i'm thinking my ideal would be KT at 4 and hamilton falls to 10 or hamilton at 4 if KT is gone and johnson at 10. then WR at 35 and DT at 38. dulcich at 69, RB and LBer in the 4th. CBorS and O-line in the 5th

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

We have to see how Fant/Becton work out this year. We need a RT and neither players are an RT.

Camp should start with Fant as the clear LT and let Becton win the Job.

I want us to draft 3 OL this draft, but from the 3rd round onwards, as we can't sink 3 years in a row a first round draft pick in OL when our roster needs blue chip talent in so many other places.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

It's certainly plausible! The thing is, would the Jets be taking a step forward, backward, or simply treading water by drafting Ekwonu and trading Becton? I doubt that Fant is the long-term answer at LT. He hasn't signed an extension yet. It seems to me that they'd just be trading one player for another, and would be facing the possibility of having to replace Fant next year or in 2-3 years. I've read that Laken Tomlinson was not and is not a perfect fit for the wide zone blocking scheme, yet he made it work in SF and hopefully will here as well. With that being the case, even if Becton isn't a perfect fit, why couldn't he still be very good and be part of the foundation of our OL and team?

15. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't hold my breath on the Jets drafting even 2 OL, much less 3. I just don't see it happening.

They need 2 WRs, and Edge, a S, DT, and a RB. That's 6 of the 9 picks. Most fans think the Jets need to draft a LB as well, and unless the Jets were serious about loving their LBs and not just blowing smoke they probably will. Since there are several LBs who are exactly what the Jets are looking for and excel in coverage, I'd be shocked if they don't take one. That makes 7 of the 9 picks. In this strong and deep TE class, I think it would be a shame, maybe even a major mistake not to draft a TE as well. Griffin sucks and should never see the field again as a Jet. The same goes for Westco. They need a viable #3 TE and none of Griffin, Wesco and Yeboah are it. JD could also draft a CB early. IMO we'll be luck to see one depth OL drafted, but at most two, and imo, that's probably only if they have strong doubts about Becton.

16. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

17. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Hey, if he's pissed enough to prove us doubters wrong, that's great!

#98 ColoradoContrails, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    Cman68, cval and JetFanInPA like this.
  19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for him, but this petty sparring with fans is off-putting and immature. Not a good look... But whatever, let's see how he does on the field!

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he's young and competitive, and he knows he has something to prove whether he admits it publicly or not. I'll give him a pass if he backs it up on the field.

cval likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.