Becton's Back In the gym..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Mar 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

jax still needs help on the o-line. they had cam last year and were awful. ekonwu could be 1st overall and passed neal on a lot of peoples boards and wouls start at RT but could also play OG for them. I think for jax they can get more edge next eyar. they still have josh allen and myles jack. they have some talent on the D already. they need to help lawerence.

if hutch and KT are gone my personal preference is

1) trade down
    2) hamilton

REVISion likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yeah you could be right - it sounds more plausible than the other three things I’ve heard. That also would explain why he is hitting the gym like a house on fire.

What it doesn’t explain was his lack luster training camp before the injury….

I’d really like to see him back in form he was looking like a top shelf LT last year….

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on Penning - the Jets were really high on him at the Senior Bowl. That would be the #10 or a trade down assuming they don’t draft OT at #4.

4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I would credit the mediocre training camp to a mixture of the foot problem coupled with frustration of being schooled by Lawson on the regs.

I’m just speculating like everyone else, but that’s what makes the most sense to me.

I’d like to see him as a top tier RT this year

5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when I see it with Becton. He did the whole Instagram Olympics thing last offseason too and everyone talked about how lean he looked. Lo and behold he showed up to camp overweight and played terribly.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

I don't think it was that his camp was lackluster. I think it was more of lawson having a great camp and people took it as a negative against becton

GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  7. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Not sure I get Neal statement. He started at LG 13 games as a true freshman in the SEC. He moved to RT as a sophomore and LT as a junior. I would think he and Ekwonu are appealing because they have positional versatility. My odder question is can Fant play RT? He seemed to be better at LT. I saw we approached an extension with him and that may be a key. We know what he is looking for. I do think if we extend him the team may be better keeping Fant LT and moving Becton to RT. If Becton has injury ding then EK/Neal could slide to RT easier than a rookie at LT or moving two players if Fant to LT and rookie to RT. Gotta have a better backup/swing the Edoga after last years injuries.

8. REVISion

I'd buy this if it hadn't been reported that Becton was getting beaten badly vs. the two teams we had joint practices with too.

At 370+ lbs he's just always going to struggle with speed rushers. Guys that heavy who are still nimble and agile enough to pass protect well basically don't exist.

Jonathan Ogden was exceptionally large and Becton still has 40 lbs on him despite Ogden being 2 inches taller. Orlando Pace was another gigantic tackle and Becton has 50 lbs on him.

He's too fat and he probably has an eating disorder.

Becton legitimately needs to lose 50+ lbs to be at an optimal weight for playing football. Do we really think he's going to start getting overpowered if he drops to a measly 325 lbs? That's still an enormous person.

Leicester Jet, barfolomew and jonnyd like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

offensive lineman heavy then becton

trent brown is 380lbs and a beast
    mckinnie was 386 and had a great career
    nate newton was over 400lbs and a 6 time pro bowler and 2 time all pro
    terell brown was over 400lbs

becton is just a large person. the weight thing is overblown. he doesn't look fat or out of shape. he's just thick and solid

here is baldys breakdown of bectons rookie year

baldy was a lineman in the NFL for a decade in the 80s and 90s he knows what he's talking about and he raves about becton
    BTW look at the breakdown at 22 mins. the way he moves for such a big man. it's impressive

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I've never seen Baldinger criticize anyone though...

11. GasedAndConfused

maybe, maybe not but he also hand picks who he wants to look at so probably jus tpicks the people who impress him the most.
    On top of that he shows the film of all snaps so you can clearly see it yourself what a force becton can be. just listen on mute and watch for yourself then

KingRoach likes this.
  12. REVISion

There will be exceptions to every general rule, I just think it's extremely rare that it's optimal for a guy playing OT to be nearly 400 lbs.

McKinnie was 355 and made 1 pro bowl over an 11 year career.

Nate Newton was listed at 335 and played guard.

I can't find evidence of Terrell Brown having even made an NFL team or playing a single game. He further proves my point if anything.

So there's one legitimate example out of all the guys listed there, just Trent Brown. Outliers exist, the odds are Becton isn't one of the extremely few where it's optimal to be almost 400 lbs.

13. GasedAndConfused

becton is listed at 363. you are using listed weights and not actual reports for the people I listed but using the reports on becton so can't really have it both ways. mckinnie for example was rumored to have hit 400lbs but also said it was exeggerated. sitll it was surely more then his 355 listed out of college. he may not have been great but he was a solid OT for a decade in the NFL

daniel falale is coming out of college at around 400 lbs this year

the weight thing is just way too overblown. look at the video I posted. he's extremely athletic for a man his size. his playing weight should be around 360lbs

14. REVISion

I'm not using Becton's listed weight because we have many reports he's been well above it.

Also come on with taking issue with points lol, you used a 330 lb guard and a guy who never played a single down in the NFL as evidence that someone being Becton's weight is fine.

Even if we say he's 363 though that's still a lot higher than pretty much everyone else.

Falale doesn't mean anything to this discussion until/if he becomes a good OT in the NFL. If he doesn't, it's further evidence Becton is bigger than ideal.

When I search for stories about McKinnie's weight all I find are stories indicating the Vikings weren't happy with his weight because it was negatively affecting his play. I don't know how that's evidence that Mekhi is fine at his current weight, it means the opposite actually.

Borat likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

you are using others college weight and comparing it to bectons reported weight. that was my point.

nate newton was over 400 lbs not 335
    https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-...ys-star-nate-newton-lost-175-pounds--nfl.html
    he was also a 6 time pro bowler and 2 time all pro.

you should check your facts.

regardless who cares about his weight. his rookie film speaks for itself. he'll show this year how good he can be. people here want to find issues where there aren't any. there are always exceptions to every rule and not many people his size are in the NFL but trent brown did it. he's not fat he's just large. there is a difference.

another thing too is you have to look at the sample size. he's one of only 7 offensive lineman to weigh in over 360lbs in NFL history

banner is having a good career so far.
    trent brown is a monster
    bryant mckinnie had a solid career
    nate newton was a beast
    terell brown was a bust
    aaron gibson was just ok

nothing here shows any evidence that his playing weight is an issue

#75 GasedAndConfused, Mar 11, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Noam and bicketybam like this.
  16. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

The usual type of response, totally expected it

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Everybody tries way to hard to be right on this board and we keep defending their position no matter what.

We know Becton played one game last season and that the coaches said he will have to beat out Fant at LT. The Jets need Becton to succeed. I like the positive news. I hope he keeps it up.

It takes time to adjust to the NFL let's not give up on played so quickly.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How can you call yourself a fan of Becton in one sentence, and then in the very next sentence ask about trading Becton? NO freaking way should we even be thinking about trading Becton at this point.

Jets fans are too quick to declare young players busts or want to give up on them and trade/cut them, and to want to fire everyone if things don't happen immediately.

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Not everybody but we have some guys that fit the description for sure. :)

20. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Big man's first 6 months with us were awesome!

Been underwhelming since then. I really hope that year three, he can show us all what we can all see, there's talent there.

Hope this guy can just smash it. We really need him too.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.