Becton's Back In the gym..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Mar 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sounds like Ikem Ekwonu is fully in play and the likely pick at #4 if he is available from Joe Douglas' words today. Factor in Becton not showing up, and it makes it even more likely.

I preferably don't want OL at #4, but Joe Douglas is our GM, so you know it could happen.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The guy is 7 months removed from a 6-8 week injury. Let's stop acting like his recovery rests on whether he continues working with his Dallas team or the Jets trainers. Honestly, if the injury is still so bad that he absolutely had to stay in Dallas then that's even more concerning than him missing these workouts.

The point here is that after the season Becton had and what our coaches reportedly think of him he should've been at these workouts, if for nothing more than the optics. It's a dedication and maturity issue, and there are many other examples of each of those things being a problem with Becton in the past.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

People here love to give Denzel Mims shit and yet always make excuses for Becton. Mims has worked his ass off the offseason, he was there working with Wilson in Arizona last month, at otas this month. Criticize those that don't work hard enough

Cman68 and blackssmagic like this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Full recovery for a patella dislocation with ligament tear can take up to 8 months from what I read and I am pretty sure that does not even take into consideration he is the size of 2 grown men. He is about 7 months post injury and they usually need to wait for swelling to subside before surgery.

I am all for him getting back and showing that he is who the team thought they drafted but reading posts here and tweets elsewhere about how he should be back already is shortsighted. No one here knows how bad the dislocation/tear was so saying he should be back is just not possible to be determined by anyone here.

PJ4Ever and CardinalsJets like this.
  5. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

He's young & stupid. That's a description, not an excuse.

At a bare minimum, you show up for a day or two and go out of your way to tell everyone "I have to bolt Thursday due to the fact that my GF may be on her way to the hospital any minute now, but it was really important to me to be here as much as I can."

I hope he has a great year. But if he doesn't, the fact that he missed OTAs two consecutive years will not impress other teams looking for a trade opportunity.

6. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I am a physical therapist, he is a professional athlete that should BE in shape prior to the injury. how is it TO played in the Superbowl an hour after he blew out his knee but Becton cant come back from the 6-8 week injury? People cont to make excuses for this guy, personally he has no more excuses in my mind. Look at the shit Mims gets, that guy cant read anything in the media or social media about himself cause its all negative. Becton needs to nut up or get traded, no more kid gloves

REVISion likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like Becton, but I do feel he is the opposite of All Gas No Brake. Of course, he was drafted for Gase's offense too. I am not sure what happened last season. No one really does but him and the Jets medical staff. I still feel his Jets career can go in either extreme direction: An All-Pro, or completely off the team. Neither would shock me.

8. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Also, this is a brand new system for Becton. He played half of a game and was gone for the rest of the year. The guy needs to learn the system, figure out is he a RT or LT, and work with the guy next to him

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

He only dislocated the kneecap and sprained the MCL. I have sprained my MCL, it's not an 8 month recovery even with a kneecap dislocation thrown in. Becton had surgery in mid September of last year. Every source I can find called it a 4-8 week injury. There was even constant talk about him coming back to practices starting halfway through last season.

We had reports he gained too much weight at the end of his rookie season, leading the team to fine him. We had reports he showed up to training camp last year overweight. We had reports he gained weight after he got hurt which directly contributed to his delayed recovery.

I really don't get the endless excuses for this guy. His lack of discipline is beyond a pattern at this point, it's clear as day.

#229 REVISion, Apr 21, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

Becton himself contradicts the argument that his absence is injury related

Even if we wanted to believe he couldn't show up to OTAs because of his knee injury, you can go on his social media and he'll be posting videos squatting 500lbs or whatever, proving he is fine to 'all the haters'

he can make a workout vid but he can't show up for team workouts? yeah, sell that to someone else.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I hate to pile on as this is April.

Contrasted with:

12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He couldn't catch a flight from Dallas back to NYC if he gets word his GF is going into Labor? Bullshit. Hell, he could literally charter a flight and have money left over for a limo ride to the hospital. Again, Becton is being his own worst enemy by showing yet more immaturity. He really doesn't understand how precarious his position on the team is. If he's out again for an extended period, hopefully the Jets insured his contract and they can get some money back. As it is right now, I don't care if Becton is walking around with buckets of concrete in each hand. His ass needs to be here instead of twitter or instagram or whatever SM site he hangs out on. Why not fly his trainer to NY? Its not like he doesn't have the cash. Its not like the Jets don't have the cash. And he wonders why he's getting so much hate? All he has to do is grow up and take a long hard look at his history here. Kid has a lot to LEARN and a lot to PROVE.

14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

They need another Morgan Moses going into 2022. Not sure if they think that's McDermott or Edoga? I doubt it and hope they acquire some depth in free agency or draft. I really think Ikem will be in play at 4, but if not, an OT prospect on Day 2 or early Day 3 would be great

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He looks like he’s doing what he knows best. Eating a triple stack Wendys burger

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

or shitting huge triangular turds..

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that. When JD was answering that question he mentioned something about talking to his medical staff in Dallas. Basically, reading between the lines, I am afraid he is still not in shape for the football workouts from the original injury. This is very concerning news. To me, if Hutch/KT are gone, you have to start looking at the best OT available with the 4h overall: Neal or Ickey. Very unfortunate. So much for him being back in the gym.

18. BrowningNagle

Haha Bien-Aime should go back to Miami. How is it a non-story in any way?

Bectons off-season might be the biggest story we have, especially a week before the draft where they will have a chance to draft his replacement.

Duh dude- it’s a gift story for a beat writer

blackssmagic, Borat and REVISion like this.
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.