Becton not looking good

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jul 25, 2023.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Zach sucked, but this is the best situation he could have asked for in terms of a career reset. Backup QB to a HOF QB that is motivated to teach the system.

I gave up on Zach, but this is could be the one in a million chance to stay on the Jets.

And if he sucks, he sucks.

2. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

The odds are definitely against Becton, there's no doubt about that. He has barely played football in 2 years and he has a shaky knee. That being said, those are also the reasons why it's foolish to talk about trading him. His stock is at an all-time low. If there is a 25% chance that he can heal up and become the player we all hoped he would be (which I think is a fair assessment of his chances of becoming a very good tackle), then trading him for some late round pick is a terrible idea. The upside is way more than the downside here. If his knee blows out again or he plays like crap we can always cut him loose, and we won't be losing sleep over that 5th round pick we might have gotten.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  3. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

The Jets coaching staff doesn't like Becton. It's shocking that a player that shows up overweight and out of shape to prior training camps, doesn't show up for some voluntary OTAs (see prior years when Saleh was literally begging him to come in during OTA press conferences "come in big guy") and loudly and publicly blaming the coaching staff in the press for his injuries isn't highly regarded by the coaching staff. Now, he's apparently refusing to play right tackle, so you only see him at LT so far during training camp even though that's Duane Brown's job, which relegates Becton to backup LT. I figured that they would have exercised his 5th year option, but they really don't like Becton and they don't trust Becton. I don't think there's any way they sign him to an extension, so he's gone after this year. If he's a backup LT this year, then next year he probably gets a prove it deal from another team and the Jets won't get much of a supplemental pick for him. Moreover, his injury history doesn't make him a reliable backup LT. I think the Jets are hoping to showcase him during training camp and trade him if they get a decent offer. They are making it known that he's available for the right price and that's why you're seeing the press talking about a possible Becton trade.

Max Mitchell, who the coaching staff is very high on, is now taking reps and both LT and RT. If Brown is starting LT, Becton is backup LT, and AVT is third string LT, then why is Mitchell taking a lot of reps at LT? The easy answer is because they might want to trade Becton and see how Mitchell handles LT to determine if they can move Mitchell to backup LT, if Brown gets injured. So Maybe Mitchell is starting RT and backup LT and Turner would come in as backup RT in that situation. So, what does that tell you about Becton's status with the team?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Sure want to see only positive news. But in context he hasn’t played in a while. He had a bad day. It’s ok. That’s what training camp is for. If we’re still having this convo third week of august I’ll be concerned. As of now, not at all.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

The only knock on Becton is his health. Is he healthy and can he stay healthy. When the answer to both of those questions is yes then he is without question one of our top linemen.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Is he practicing today or relaxing on the sideline?

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Health is the huge bugaboo with him for sure.

But even when he’s been in there this training camp, all I’ve heard is how he’s gotten beat pretty regularly by our edge guys with speed. That is to be expected for a guy coming off a knee injury who hasn’t played in two years. HOWEVER, we also heard that the last time he was practicing in camp two years ago as well…having trouble with the speed guys.

It’s a concern

8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Not exactly true. He’s been beaten like a rag doll in practice, just as he was last year before he went on IR. If he still has knee issues causing his poor play then it’s time to move on. This 8 month injury is now going into year 3. Plus he’s (literally) a big whiny baby.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You could be right about the CS not liking Becton, but I'd be surprised if it's personal with them. He's not refusing to play RT, he's competing for the LT job. I'm assuming that once the LT competition is over, if Becton doesn't win it, but looks good, he will be the starting RT.

IMO they're trying Mitchell at LT for a couple of reasons. One, Brown isn't practicing and Becton has a pitch count and his knee is a little balky. Turner hasn't looked good so far. They can't play Carter Warren every snap. I think he was injured this past season, so they're probably trying not to overwork him. Two, numbers are going to be tight on the final roster, and they want their OL to be as flexible as possible. If Mitchell could function as a swing tackle, then maybe that allows them to cut Turner or at least if injuries happen like last year, Mitchell would have some experience at LT.. They want this year to be a redshirt year for Warren. So if Brown starts at LT and Becton at RT, then Mitchell would be the swing tackle, and Warren wouldn't see the field except in case of injuries.

The ship on signing Becton to an extension has already sailed. If he winds up starting, stays healthy, and has a great season, they can tag him or try to sign him to a new contract, or he could opt to walk in FA. I don't agree that the Jets are trying to showcase Becton in hopes of trading him. The way injuries happen in the NFL and the way that they happened to the OL last season make trading any of our OL a dumb idea especially since they aspire to get to and win a SB. Again, with the roster numbers being tight this year, since they have so many young players that they like, they're probably not going to be able to keep 10 OL and will only be able to keep 9, so they have to do everything they can to keep every possible viable quality player on the OL.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think that's because he has been the best OT in the camp by a wide margin. Becton is still hurt, in and out, and struggles when in. Brown is not practicing. Turner is getting beat a lot. And Warren is a rookie, and Max appears to be ahead of him now. Max gets beat too based on these tweets, but appears to be a lot less often than others.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

..but you can't give Becton the same benefit of the doubt considering all he has been through? It feels contradictory.

bicketybam and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Looks like no team drills, but individual only.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think there difference here is that Zach is expected to be a back-up this year. And he so far reportedly had a decent camp, where I feel comfortable with him as a back-up. Chances are we won't even need him to play much if any games at all. Becton I was hoping would be a starter as we do not have any great starting LT on the roster. And right now I have a lot more confidence in Max than I do in Becton. And we definitely will need someone to step up in OT. Most likely 2-4 guys will end up getting significant playing time there. Given our OT's injury history, it will be likely be 4. It's definitely concerning.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Becton should be applauded for losing weight... but his knee(s) are still an issue.

Knock Knee

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I thought they did realignment on his right knee to fix this condition with the last surgery but not sure.

16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson wasn't out the last two years because of injuries though. He literally got demoted for poor play.

Becton, on the other hand, Is fighting his way back from injury. Only reason he lost his starting gig.

I still find It weird that people are willing to find this magical hope for Zach Wilson after the shit show performances he's already displayed on the field, to the point where we literally had to bring In a future HOF QB on the back nine of his career because of It. Yet, we are already writing off a young and talented kid who Is coming back from injury, who has worked his ass off to get In the best shape that he has been In since entering the league, and Is being brought along slowly.

I personally hope they both work out but I find more hope In the kid that actually looked dominate In his rookie year, before the injuries. Opposed to the kid who has always looked bad on the field at QB since entering the NFL.

Again. I hope the AR effect transforms Zach Into our FQB of the future, I just don't like the odds.

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So disappointing, the guy cant even get through practice, how's he gonna protect the QB for a whole game.

he NEEDED to show up ready to go

now he's got 2 days off. good for him, he was available for a 1/2 day of regular football

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I also think it is unlikely, but this is not an immediate problem. For a back-up, I thought Zach had a decent camp, and his expectation was to become a solid back-up not a starter this year. What is the expectation you have for Becton for this season? Is it to be starting tackle? A back-up to Max and Duane? So far what I have seen makes me question we can count on him at all this year. I know there is still 45 days left, so I am hopeful things will change, but it is not encouraging to see him get beat up when he is in and then be out with knee issues at this time of the camp. Not unexpected, but not great either.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree abuot the consistency issue. I'm rooting for both of them, because that's what's best for the Jets. I happen to like both of them, but I'd be rooting for them even if I didn't like them and had been against drafting them, because at this point, it's better for the Jets future if they overcome the odds and become the players that JD, the scouts and Saleh thought they would be when they drafted them.

The odds are long for both of them, but that's the beauty of the NFL and of life. People overcome long odds every day. When he was a UDFA, he was initially #11 on the depth chart of 11 WRs in camp. Who thought he'd even make the team, much less become a starter and star player for the Jets? After Vinny Testaverde had been pretty awful for most of his career, who thought that even Bill Parcells could make a good QB out of him? I sure didn't.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Did they?
    Don't know... but watching him walk is painful.

I think his knee(s) are a bigger problem than the Jets are letting on.