Becton Looks Great

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jul 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Thought Fant and Becton were competing for the same spot.

#141 Cman68, Jul 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Moses essentially signed a 1 year, $5.5 million deal with the Ravens. Seems like that's one that could've been matched. He has always been durable

Jets79 likes this.
  3. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

They both want to start at left tackle and will compete for that job. The loser will start at right tackle.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Got it.. TY

WilsonJetsFan likes this.
  5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Realistically, it’s Fant’s job. We were the last to find out the plan was to move AVT to the right and I suspect the same will be said about Becton. Fant played very well in his first year ever at starting LT and is a leader in the clubhouse. Becton has done nothing to put himself in a position to make demands and the right side is traditionally the power side.

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

front office wants Becton on the left side, coaching staff wants Fant. We were the last to find out because it’s an internal dispute

that’s just what I think anyway

7. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

That's certainly the leading theory, and it's consistent with the fact that Becton was getting owned by Lawson in training camp last year. But playing Devil's Advocate: (a) Becton had a very strong rookie year; (b) Becton has more natural talent than Fant; and (c) Fant's contract is up in a year, so the ideal scenario would be for Becton to solidify the left tackle position for the long haul. I'm not saying Becton will get the job, but I would predict that the coaches will give them both a week or so in training camp to make their case that they should be the starting LT. A tie goes to Fant, but I think they'll give Becton a fair chance. With all that said, I don't see how Becton beats out Fant -- Becton got owned by Lawson in camp last year, and he has gotten zero reps since then that would have allowed him to hone his technique. So, I predict that the coaches will give them both a fair chance and then Fant will win the job.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. KingRoach

Past tense? You think there was an internal dispute about AVT vs. LDT playing on the left?

While I agree it make sense that JD wants his 1st ever to work out on the left as planned, Fant was one of JD’s 1st signings for the rebuild and was a “diamond in the rough” so having him on the left is a nice conciliation. I don’t think JD is going to have a problem conceding to whatever the coaches think is best.

My 2¢

Brook!, bicketybam and Noam like this.
  9. KingRoach

I love it when the devil comes into the conversation.

All very well thought out and it makes sense. But I have some counterpoints.

Fant’s contract might be up but he’s a leader in the clubhouse and has relatively low mileage. Letting Fant go in FA will make the team worse, I don’t think JD does that.

Seeing how quickly they moved AVT to the right side leads me to believe sacrificing this year to plan for the future isn’t where the team is right now.

For the people who think JD wants Becton on the left bc of his ego, imagine the ego punch if there’s an “open competition” and Fant wins out.

My Ideal:
    Fant gets an extension. He and Becton have great years. Max develops into a starting caliber RT. We flip Becton for a 1st or more in 2024.

azhar80 likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

JD is trying to bring in the best talent for this team thru free agency and the draft. I’m sure he has high expectations for all. It’s up to the CS to find the best possible spot for them to play and succeed. I see no reason why JD would interfere in CS responsibilities and all evidence points to the contrary. They work as a team for a change. LT or RT, is who better plays which position.

azhar80, KingRoach and Noam like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

Well the coaching staff doesn’t appear to think much of Becton. Fant was fine at LT, why wouldn’t they just keep him there? The competition is coming from outside pressure

REVISion likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If the Shanahan blueprint holds true of undersized tackles that has followed that offensive scheme to a number of different teams, then they probably don't like his fit in the offense. Sure they have had a few big boys, Trent Williams is the obvious example, But he is an outlier, and Trent Williams is a fucking animal. He's got it between the ears.

Mekhi Becton gets fucked up by internet trolls. Not so sure he has it between the ears.

Cman68, REVISion and BrowningNagle like this.
  13. KingRoach

Agree! (With 1 small edit)

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't think it's quite that simple.

For better or worse, most people are more concerned with their own job security than the success of the team. It's human nature, self preservation first and foremost.

Now, job security and team success are usually correlated, but my point still stands at the granular level of individual draft picks. I find it completely logical that JD would want Becton to succeed substantially more than the coaching staff would.

The coaching staff wasn't here when Becton was drafted, so his individual success or failure doesn't reflect on them like it does on JD. Becton was JD's very first draft pick in his very first GM job, and he took Becton over a guy who became an immediate All-Pro. It's a colossal blunder that only reflects poorly on JD if Becton doesn't turn it around ASAP.

That doesn't mean JD is going to insist on playing Becton even if he turns out to be awful, but you can bet that JD is going to give Becton a longer leash than the coaches.

#154 REVISion, Jul 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    Borat likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No argument. Giving him a longer leash is one thing. Determining where he should play, left, right, or the bench is another. His number one motivation is for this team to win. He is not going to overrule a CS decision because of that.

KingRoach likes this.
  16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Really concerned with the depth at tackle behind Fant and Becton if one/both go down. Neither of the backup tackles offer squat. Was wondering if/when Becton faceplants if the jets might start Herbig on the inside and move Vera-Tucker to tackle? I think Herbig on the inside is better than the jets backup tackles and it is not even close. Any thoughts?

boozer32 likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

In retrospect with Fant emerging as a competent LT, and clearly playing significantly better there than RT, Wirfs pick would have looked even more amazing now. The guy never been injured and all pro already, while Fant would have played his favorite position. We would then definitely be all set just now at T spot. As opposed to all this drama now and really if Becton does not get in shape and have a really good healthy season, we are kinda screwed with crap and 4th rounder from Sun Belt Sam Mitchell as a back-up, who I think needs more seasoning.

boozer32, Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

IIRC Fant was coming off being a swing tackle for the Seahawks. The Jets banked on his potential and upside but I don’t think anyone was willing to slide him as the LT when he initially got here. Besides Becton’s rookie season showed a ton of promise. The new scheme benefitted Fant a lot, so in ways it’s a good problem to have two guys who can play LT.

@tomdeb i could see that being an option moreso relying on the backup tackles currently on the roster.

tomdeb likes this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yeah, but can Fant play rt tackle? He was awful against the Panthers at Rt Tackle.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Of course, I get why JD drafted Becton back in the day over Wirfs: we didn't have LT, which is a more important spot, and Becton was projected as LT while Wirfs played RT and was projected as only RT. Fant at the time was a sub. My point was merely in retrospect, which is how you judge GM's move, not only Wirfs pick would have been significantly better since he became all Pro at RT, but also because Fant has developed into solid LT, and we are all praying Becton can finally get in shape and stay healthy to play RT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.