Becton Looks Great

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jul 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I read that he was training and practicing somewhere down south with his personal O-line coach.

2. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

He has been, all off season, just like most other NFL OLinemen. And he was back with the Jets rehabbing on a side field towards the end of last season. Sure he skipped voluntary practices in Spring in preference of his own trainer, not ideal but his choice. He showed up for the mandatory ones - he was just on the sidelines, whether that was him rehabbing or the Jets being cautious we don't know. But none of the OLinemen did much and they've taken that approach with virtually everyone this year. Apparently all this means he's been incapable of practice for nearly a year.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the TGG Zone!

4. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

I believe that Becton is going to prove a lot of people wrong this year.

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I believe this is the first time I've seen any Becton hardliner acknowledge the 4 - 8 weeks was just an estimate and he did not have an injury that should have been healed by then but just two days ago you called it "a 4 - 6 week injury" with no such disclaimer.

There's nothing at all wrong with questioning why it's taken him so long to get to full practice mode; the problem I see is when people make up their own reasons for it and repeat them as fact. Have it as an opinion but we can all decide for ourselves what is real, or even "obvious." What you see as heads buried in the sand are more accurately people digging for real information rather than making it up.

I haven't seen anyone say the guy's around 400 pounds but one did say he had been, without saying when. I find that pretty important and pretty ridiculous that some have an ability to put a timeframe on that when none exists in fact. I'll leave it to the team to decide what weight is "excusable" today; if they choose to tell us that I suspect some far removed would still gripe and continue to roll with second hand unsupported claims.

#105 Ralebird, Jul 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    KingRoach and Mogriffjr like this.
  6. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Which one is Becton?

Cman68 and FJF like this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

thank you for bringing more sense here.

And guess who’s the bold? Revision, you’re being called to the stand. Boy swears he’s right and calling him lazy because Becton’s timetable isn’t where Revision expected him to be at.

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Because there are a ton of Becton haters. Every player injury is different and so is their recovery. But that never stopped the haters from piling on the guy.

Mogriffjr and LAJet like this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t know…I don’t think many people here HATE him or WANT him to fail. We are all Jets fans and we all want to win.

I think it’s just that he’s missed plentry of time on the field in his two years. Last years injury was just random bad luck…having someone roll up on your leg doesn’t make you “injury prone”.

however, he did miss plenty of time with several nagging injuries his rookie year, and we can go back and challenge the reporting about the recovery time all we want, but I think it was pretty much common knowledge out there, including from the coaches, that this was not expected to be a season ending injury and yet for him it was. I don’t think someone like Adam Shefter just makes shit up or pulls it out of his ass. Saleh was also saying it wasn’t season ending.

it is what it is now, so the only thing we can do is move forward. For his end, he needs to actually commit and work hard to get in shape and stay on the field. And while some workouts are voluntary and he’s done nothing wrong by skipping them, the optics of that aren’t great. Perception will be that he’s not committed. That’s on him.

if I were the GM, I would’ve probably drafted an OT higher than round 4 because despite his college history of no significant injuries, his two NFL seasons have proven to be different. I’d have hedged my bets a little more. That doesn’t mean I WANT Becton to fail….on the contrary I want him to come back and dominate. But I’m skeptical with respect to his ability to stay on the field. I hope he proves me wrong.

but that doesn’t mean I hate the guy or want him to fail.

REVISion and abyzmul like this.
  10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Who would you have gone without:
    Sauce - Wilson - JJ - Hall

boozer32 likes this.
  11. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I’m a Becton supporter. Happy to see posts that defend his injury recovery time. That said, I stood near him at media day on 6/13 and he sure didn’t look like he does in this photo. Are we sure it’s a recent photo? He has until week one to be in game shape. That’s all I care about.

boozer32, MoWilkBeast and abyzmul like this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I was wondering how recent that photo was...

This is turning out to be the greatest mystery in Jets history!
    Becton is like Bigfoot... varying vague images of dubious provenance.

How does one hide a man that big from the public?

We need answers!

13. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

I had heard that it was at the end of mini-camp. Saleh once said that Becton seems to gain and lose an enormous amount of weight in a single day. Of course, maybe it's just a very flattering photo.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

In his much anticipated rookie campaign, Becton was excellent, shutting down a bevy of top speed rushers. We were all up on his ability.

Then 2021 TC came, and Becton was beaten like a red headed stepchild seemingly on a daily basis. Then the knee happened.

So none of us really know what to expect.

Who the kid standing next to him in that pic? He has those little magnifying glasses glued to the front of his glasses. Is he Becton's knee surgeon?

15. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

We should be more concerned about the knee being healed than his weight. There's a good chance his weight will decrease between now and September. Wish that chance was better than 60/40 though ;)

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I would have been excited for this picture, but this was a promotional picture taken by his dentist on June 20th. We have pictures from just a week earlier on June 13th, taken by reporters, unedited, coupled by Saleh refusing to answer any weight questions. He was clearly overweight on June 13th, it's illogical to deny this. Has he shaped up drastically in a week or the promotional picture by his dentist does not reflect where he is at? I really don't know, because there is only a week difference. If he used that week for extreme diet and cardio training, got in shape, a la fighters that get ready to make weight, I would love it.

Still not sold, but have just a little more optimism than before I saw this. Can't wait 'till training camp to see where he is really at.

REVISion likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Happy Sunday to all at TGG. I like to express special thanks to father time, as roughly a week or so from now we will finally stop worrying about how Becton or anyone else looks on pictures, or via twitters, or who is fucking who, and we will focus 100% on how every player, rookie and vet, first rounder or undrafted, looks on the field.
    From that moment forward, Its all about fielding the best possible 52+ players that will give this team the best chance to win. Looking back wont do shit. Can't wait. Sick and tired of hearing concerns based solely on half ass rumors from the proper media and a shit load of wannabe twitter whores out there thinking they know more about the Jets than the loyal fans that suffer thru every freaking stinking play and personnel move all year long.
    Time to get into training camp mode. Let us hope for a much healthier and competitive season than 2021. Go Jets

Cman68, MoWilkBeast, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

good question…and I’ll first say I’m not unhappy with the draft we made.

but as options, if we keep those four as is, then I’d have probably looked for a tackle with our third rounder instead of the TE when we just signed two solid TEs in free agency. I don’t know enough to say who that would’ve been, though, so its fair enough to say a third round OT wouldn’t be much of an improvement over whomever we already have as backups.

honestly I probably would’ve taken the OT at 4 instead of Sauce, as I thought Hall held up well last year and we signed a starting CB in free agency.

but with the Bills and now Hill in Miami I’m not gonna say we can’t really use a top CB and if Sauce becomes Revis 2.0 then it’s a great pick.

honestly we also could have kept the draft as is a s resigned Moses to keep insurance there….that would’ve likely been my first choice.

like I said, I like the draft we had…not gonna bitch about it at all…I just think there is enough reason to worry about Becton. Clearly JD and Saleh are not worried otherwise they would’ve addressed it.

I’m not doubting Bectons ability on the field…when he played he looked very impressive…I’m just not going to blindly hope that he can stay in shape and on the field for 17 games.

KingRoach likes this.
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I get the general feeling that you have but there were O OTs drafted between Ruckert and Max so picking 1 in the 3rd doesn’t give us a better option.

I believe we tried to sign Moses for 2 years last year but he only wanted to sign for 1 year because he wanted to be guaranteed a starter position, we couldn’t do that.

I know you don’t fully trust Becton but I think it came down to this during the draft:

Who do you trust more to be a difference maker:
    Becton or CB Hall
    Becton or WR Berrios
    Becton or DE Martin

If you trust Becton more than the 3 above, the Jets had the best draft they could with the resources they had.

I know you don’t want to blindly hope but by definition that’s called faith. Hopefully the Jets will restore your faith before the year is over.

WilsonJetsFan and Jets79 like this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Here’s is where I stand with things. There have been multiple chances for the Jets to bring a tackle who could start opposite of Fant. They didn’t. They didn’t draft one with their premium picks. They didn’t sign one in FA. They either foolishly or smartly showed faith in Becton. They drafted a developmental tackle which is moreso to bring along slowly and not start. They’ve been liked to Reiff who’s a decent veteran but he’s not on even Moses level IMO.

This isn’t a position to play with. Your franchise QB is back there and could be a sitting duck if the Jets have to start Mitchell, or any of the scraps and bottom roster types the Jets have on the roster. No one has much faith in McDermott, Edoga getting the lions share of starts here.

boozer32 and WilsonJetsFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.